United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Default According to Dave Whelan, Negotiations to start soon for Valencia

Quote:
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has told Sky Sports News that Manchester United have made cash offers for Antonio Valencia.

It was reported at the weekend that Premier League champions United and Real Madrid had bid in excess of £16million for the Ecuadorian.

Real - who are set to pay United £80m for Cristiano Ronaldo - have since stated that they have not shown an interest in Valencia since January.

However, Whelan has declared that United have been in contact with JJB Stadium officials for the past two to three months and that they have also submitted offers.

He told Sky Sports News when asked about Valencia: "They (United) have been in touch with us and we will be starting negotiations very shortly, I would imagine.

"United have been in touch with us over Antonio over the last two or three months, expressing an interest and putting cash offers on the table."

He added: "Things will develop over the next seven to 14 days."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...376544,00.html
16million is alot of money but i think he's a good player and will develop nicely for us, has pace, can strike a ball really well and he provides some really good crosses something which we could do with.

Plus he's 23 and his best years are still to come

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Alan

Thumbs down

:shakehead:

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:52 PM
koppas

Will be superb for us next season.

Got a peanut head like Nani, though. My only criticism.

sullers

I hope we sign at least 4 players.

Aloe Blacc

Young, versatile, skilful, hard working and pacy.

Yes please.

He's only the first, expect 2 or 3 others.

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Blacc
Young, versatile, skilful, hard working and pacy.

Yes please.

He's only the first, expect 2 or 3 others.
will do. cheers for the heads up, pal.

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
armchair

stop the press

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
on form today duckers

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Barracuda

Not totally against the move, he has a few qualities that we could do with - but we're going to end up paying way over what he's actually worth. I wouldn't go over £12M - going towards £20M for him is crazy??

That kind of money should get you a player with much more to offer, it's too much for a basic winger with virtually no goal threat.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
Not totally against the move, he has a few qualities that we could do with - but we're going to end up paying way over what he's actually worth. I wouldn't go over £12M - going towards £20M for him is crazy??

That kind of money should get you a player with much more to offer, it's too much for a basic winger with virtually no goal threat.
Erm. When did we NOT pay over the odds for a player?

Deal with it.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM
dunk

So, we have known Ronaldo was moving for 12 months, and we will begin negotiations in the next fortnight for a player 30 miles up the road.

Now THAT is planning for the future.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas

Deal with it.
I'm more than happy to pay over the top for the right player, or one who will make a difference, a matchwinner if you like.

Valencia to me is just a straighforward quick, direct, basic winger who will knock in 4 or 5 goals per season ... his valuation doesn't seem even remotely in line with what he offers.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know - but £18-20M is an awful lot for a fairly limited player.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
So, we have known Ronaldo was moving for 12 months, and we will begin negotiations in the next fortnight for a player 30 miles up the road.

would we have still "known Ronaldo was moving for 12 months" if United had a chance next season for 3 in a row European Cups, rataining the World Cup and cementing a place in club football legend?

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
would we have still "known Ronaldo was moving for 12 months" if United had a chance next season for 3 in a row European Cups, rataining the World Cup and cementing a place in club football legend?
Oh ffs.

Everyone knew he was moving this summer - except you.

It is football's worst kept secret - along with Dion Dublin having the biggest #@&%! in the sport.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas

phew that's a toughie........no can't think of any, ever

Kanchelskis
Schmikes

RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
I'm more than happy to pay over the top for the right player, or one who will make a difference, a matchwinner if you like.

Valencia to me is just a straighforward quick, direct, basic winger who will knock in 4 or 5 goals per season ... his valuation doesn't seem even remotely in line with what he offers.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know - but £18-20M is an awful lot for a fairly limited player.
Those well up on South American football and watched him play for Ecuador reckon he has more to his game than just being a straightforward down the line winger. He can play further infield as well by all accounts.

captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth

He's back.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:41 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
phew that's a toughie........no can't think of any, ever

Kanchelskis
Schmikes
Ok, in the past seven or eight years then.

Schmeichel, Kanchelskis, Cantona don't count.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
borsuk

Quote:

yep. just as united "gave ronaldo permission to talk to madrid" yesterday.

let's hope he manages to agree personal terms, eh

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
armchair

Quote:

Whelan even said that United have been in contact for months.
Closed Thread