United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
But WE knew we'd be selling Ronaldo. So they weren't out when they officially went, were they? Which is also my point.

Clerc... he did his knee in 2007, not sure about last year ? Played 27 league games as far as I can tell. 21 the year before. & he is often switched with Réveillère depending on the oppo.

& those 3 options... not exactly the only options. Just ones off the top of my head. We have had a year to get our own targets lined up, primed ready for us to sign on the dotted line. The squad is already huge, it just needs to replace Ronnie & inject some creativity into the centre rather than, imo, buying a player who hasn't really set Wigan alight, or his national side, or played CL football. I do like the look of Valencia, but I like the look of David Silva more.
We didn't really know. It was likely but planning your future on what might happen with the lunatics at real would be madness.

We have all summer and plenty of money.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:32 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
But WE knew we'd be selling Ronaldo. So they weren't out when they officially went, were they? Which is also my point.

Clerc... he did his knee in 2007, not sure about last year ? Played 27 league games as far as I can tell. 21 the year before. & he is often switched with Réveillère depending on the oppo.

& those 3 options... not exactly the only options. Just ones off the top of my head. We have had a year to get our own targets lined up, primed ready for us to sign on the dotted line. The squad is already huge, it just needs to replace Ronnie & inject some creativity into the centre rather than, imo, buying a player who hasn't really set Wigan alight, or his national side, or played CL football. I do like the look of Valencia, but I like the look of David Silva more.
You cannot replace Ronaldo, no point in looking for something which is a complete one off and somebody who will never reach the heights he did with us over the past 2 years especially.

Rather than looking for direct replacement, we should be looking for players who fit into our style of play, who are there own players and bring something different to the team.

Valencia would be a good signing for us, he's a natual winger from that games i've seen and i think he could really develop into a good player for us.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
We need a winger. It is bleedin obvious to me.

Nani - unbelievably erratic, and imo doesn't have much of a future.

Tosic - completely untested in England

Park - put in for his defensive duties

Hargreaves - give it a rest He isn't fit, he has played wide right for us once, he is a central midfielder, who can put in a decent cross now and again.

Welbeck - is a centre forward. He can play wide, but it is not his position, nor is he particularly good at it. Oh, and he is 18 and not physically ready for the league.

And no, Valencia isn't more of a central player. He is a winger! He can play in the middle though, but again, that does not mean it is his position.

Teams play against us with 10 men behind the ball, to not buy a winger would be completely idiotic.

And saying we need to replace the goals and creativity of Ronaldo, and then putting forward an argument for a right back and not a winger.
An attacking right back. One who can operate like Evra, thus releasing the attacking pressure that is clearly over loaded on his side of the field. A right back that could be there as a mainstay & wont be exposed as Rafael would be if we throw him in too early. & only because we have an absolute bundle of cash to spend, I'd rather spend £10m on a 'keeper, £10m on a right back, £13m on Gourcuff or £20m on Diego & £35m on Benzema than £#%&! it all on Ribery for example. Or that would have been the plan had Gourcuff & Diego not already gone.

Teams play 10 men behind the ball, so very attacking full backs who provide width, and creativity from the middle of the pitch as well as Rooney & Berbatov. Anderson has a pass in him, as does Carrick, but they don't have goals. So we need some goals from the middle of the park. Valencia hasn't - in my opinion - provided a case for £16m outlay that Nani hasn't shown glimpses of in his time here. & he should be coached properly. Why do you think we spend a lot of money on Tosic? To play in the reserves? Lets just buy more wingers & not play them. Park was good enough to start CL semi finals & a final in Fergies mind, he should be good enough to fill in when we need an option or for the same amount of games he plays these days anyway.

Opinions.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
We need a winger. It is bleedin obvious to me.

And no, Valencia isn't more of a central player. He is a winger! He can play in the middle though, but again, that does not mean it is his position.

Teams play against us with 10 men behind the ball, to not buy a winger would be completely idiotic.

And saying we need to replace the goals and creativity of Ronaldo, and then putting forward an argument for a right back and not a winger.

Some excellent points right there from the boy Travis

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Coracao

Sorry, but for me you are completely negating your own argument by saying that we need to score more goals from midfield and then advocating signing a right back instead of a winger. Nonsensical.

We don't need a right back.

We need a winger, a central midfielder and a centre forward.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Stickman

Quote:
An attacking right back.

Opinions.

Play Rafael as first choice RB from now on.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Baron

Quote:
Sorry, but for me you are completely negating your own argument by saying that we need to score more goals from midfield and then advocating signing a right back instead of a winger. Nonsensical.

We don't need a right back.

We need a winger, a central midfielder and a centre forward.
Do you think we'll return to 4-4-2 ?

I think that is highly unlikely personally, & probably why someone like Valencia is being touted as they can do both the winger & old fashioned inside right, or the front right of a forward 3? I hope not in that respect, he doesn't score anywhere near enough for someone in that particular role.

If we're buying a winger, buy Ribery if he's under £40m or Silva. Valencia's output offers nothing, so far, that we don't already have in the squad imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Play Rafael as first choice RB from now on.
Crazy talk. He's 18... just blood him in as we go. He's looked somewhere between exceptional & a complete liability so no need to go crazy.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Do you think we'll return to 4-4-2 ?

I think that is highly unlikely personally, & probably why someone like Valencia is being touted as they can do both the winger & old fashioned inside right, or the front right of a forward 3? I hope not in that respect, he doesn't score anywhere near enough for someone in that particular role.

If we're buying a winger, buy Ribery if he's under £40m or Silva. Valencia's output offers nothing, so far, that we don't already have in the squad imo.

Crazy talk. He's 18... just blood him in as we go. He's looked somewhere between exceptional & a complete liability so no need to go crazy.
Return to a 4-4-2? I saw us play 4-4-2 numerous times last season.

Our formation, as always is dependent upon the opposition.

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Part 36 Offer

a right back??

I cannot for the life of me think why we would need a new right back tbh. We have 6 or 7 players that can play there.

I agree with Coracao tbh. We need a winger, a centre forward and a goal threat from midfield.

Don't agree re Van Der Vaart though mate!*

*yesterday's thread

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

correct

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
a right back??

I cannot for the life of me think why we would need a new right back tbh. We have 6 or 7 players that can play there.

I agree with Coracao tbh. We need a winger, a centre forward and a goal threat from midfield.

Don't agree re Van Der Vaart though mate!*

*yesterday's thread
He was a name I was throwing out there. Mainly for his ability to play in numerous positions. I think he'll do well wherever he goes after Madrid.

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
marlo

time to come out the bushes now for some of you.

do we need a striker who will be a squad striker (LIKE kalou @ chelsea / that brazilian at arsenal) or one that will go into our starting line up?????

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
time to come out the bushes now for some of you.

do we need a striker who will be a squad striker (LIKE kalou @ chelsea / that brazilian at arsenal) or one that will go into our starting line up?????
Bloody fredsters, always £#%&!ing about in bushes...get out of those bushses you swines

Anyway, I think if we sign a striker, it will be a rather expensive one..I'm just not sure if we'll sign one. Could see Tevez staying and Macheda coming through, with funds going on the midfield and wing

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Baron

Quote:

Our formation was dependant on whether Ronaldo would do the business, or whether we could rely on someone else.

Now he's gone, and we have a huge pot of monies along with the remainder of a superb squad, we should put the icing on the cake. But it makes some tough decisions, like which of the non-scoring but quite good central midfielders would we leave out if we got a good attacking, goal threat to join. & would we play another striker like Benzema alongside Rooney & Berbatov or would one be left out in a front 3 etc. The chance is there to remodel the squad a little, VDS is old and any other 'keeper that does well up to next years World Cup is bound to jump in value. Foster is very good, but very injury prone. The right back scenario... Brown has been out for a year, Neville is definitely shot, Rafael inexperienced & O'Shea a stop gap at best, a liability at worst.

It might sound like major surgery, but there are good reasons. Scholes & Giggs are really close to ending, VDS as well, Neville must be. There's so much class & knowledge there that as well as Ronaldo leaving, & Tevez, the big game temprament, the attacking class, & over all reliance on our best players is deminished a lot. Having all this cash & not being in a World Cup or European Championship year means it is probably the best time to buy who we need & mould them together asap before all that experience is retired or gone for good.

Unread 12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Bloody fredsters, always £#%&!ing about in bushes...get out of those bushses you swines
Closed Thread