United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Hmm. See my post above. Are you saying anti-Israel is anti-Semitic?

I’m interested to see where the lines are drawn. Are Jewish anti-zionists also anti-Semitic? Is this even possible?

Edit: this article is a good read, especially on the self-determination question that HOS says underpins all anti-zionist, anti-Semitic arguments

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...is-antisemitic
A paean to multiculturalism using a bait and switch of ‘Jewish’ for ‘ethnic nationalism’. With no criticism whatsoever of the avowedly islamic states right to exist. Nor acceptance of the fact that every group seeming self determination cites prejudice towards them (to a greater or lesser extent) as reason for it. Even the £#%&!ing Welsh think they’re hard done to by the English. For some reason (anti semitism?) the jews arent allowed to play this game despite having thousands of years of historical justification for feeling a bit slighted.

If the Kurds (for example) actually had an existing state founded on a doctrine of Kurdish self determination called Kurdonism and people calling themselves anti-kurdonists opposed them on that basis I’d definitely call them anti kurdish.

Moreover, the fact is that the Kurds have been oppressed in numerous Middle Eastern countries and it is widely accepted that it is simply because they are Kurds. No one had a problem calling saddam’s gassing of them racially motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
So anyway, that Mark Goldbridge eh?
Jesus, this is a Goldbridge thread?

Thread bans incoming.

I’m out

Unread 20-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
To be anti something you oppose what it stands for. The common thread of Zionism is Jewish self determination. Ergo if you are anti zionist (properly understood) you are anti jewish self determination. This is an anti semitic position.

I’ve already said that most people who use the term don’t understand its implications. You appear to be one of them.

Maybe find a new one that better describes the aims and isn’t open to an allegation that (mostly unfairly) undermines the position. People don’t give it a moments thought though. If they did it’s just one remove from being anti-jewish. It’s not the anti-semitic get out they think it is.

I’ve no reason to think you’re an anti semite. People who understand zionism (jews among them) will assume you are if you label yourself such. ‘Zionism’ doesnt just mean what you want it to mean. It’s as empty a term in the mouths of the left as ‘fascist’ is.
Yeah, you're right.

Being 'anti-Isreali government' is neither anti-zionist, nor antisemitic. It's a different issue entirely. You live and learn.

Quote:

Thread bans incoming.

I’m out
You know who I blame for all this? Rubbernecker

Unread 20-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
That's anti-semitic people using Zionism as a cover for their antisemitism, but that doesn't mean anti-Zionism is antisemitic.

I can say that I am anti-Zionist, because Zionism is being used by the conservative Israeli government to illegally push Palestinians off their own land, which they then take for themselves, as well as creating apartheid type conditions which Palestinians are forced to live in.

That is not anti-semitic in any way. It does not mention judasim and it does not question Isreals right to exist. The only connection Judaism has, is that the Isreal is a 'Jewish' country.

If I also added that 'zionists' control all the money and there's a worldwide 'zionist' conspiracy to control the world, and all the other bullshit - then yeah, that's some antisemitic shit and is very far removed from just being anti-zionist.

While it's important to call out antisemites, we can't just lump the two in together, because as Shenwen stated, that's a very reductive position to take.
Perfectly justifiable objections and not anti semitic but a self defeating attempted redefinition of the term which leaves open the space for the anti semitic allegation. I don’t understand the reluctance to find a new word that better describes the stance. Aside from ignorance of the terms genealogy two other reasons spring to mind - dog whistle anti semitism, and/or the left’s historical obsession with redefining opposition and truth out of existence via orwellian abuse of the language.

Unread 20-06-2019, 10:19 AM
signed dc

Quote:
A paean to multiculturalism using a bait and switch of ‘Jewish’ for ‘ethnic nationalism’. With no criticism whatsoever of the avowedly islamic states right to exist. Nor acceptance of the fact that every group seeming self determination cites prejudice towards them (to a greater or lesser extent) as reason for it. Even the £#%&!ing Welsh think they’re hard done to by the English. For some reason (anti semitism?) the jews arent allowed to play this game despite having thousands of years of historical justification for feeling a bit slighted.

If the Kurds (for example) actually had an existing state founded on a doctrine of Kurdish self determination called Kurdonism and people calling themselves anti-kurdonists opposed them on that basis I’d definitely call them anti kurdish.

Moreover, the fact is that the Kurds have been oppressed in numerous Middle Eastern countries and it is widely accepted that it is simply because they are Kurds. No one had a problem calling saddam’s gassing of them racially motivated.

Thread bans incoming.

I’m out
Yeah, just clicked the last page to see what the cheeky scamp had been up to

Unread 20-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Yeah, you're right.

Being 'anti-Isreali government' is neither anti-zionist, nor antisemitic. It's a different issue entirely. You live and learn.

You know who I blame for all this? Rubbernecker

Quote:
Yeah, you're right.
]

Unread 20-06-2019, 04:29 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
So anyway, that Mark Goldbridge eh?

Unread 20-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Can someone fake a DM of Goldie calling him a glazer stooge please, need to get this feud going.

Unread 20-06-2019, 05:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

I don't think you understand properly HOS.

Being anti-zionist is not the same as being anti-semitic. Not in a million years.

Just because you want it to be the same so you can use it to silence all those loony lefties you dislike, it doesn't mean it is.
Zionism has divided Jewish people since the movement was founded, that is simply a fact.

Yes, since the Holocaust *most* Jews have supported a homeland - but disagreeing with that is still a perfectly legitimate position.

"Anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism" is as much transparent, politically motivated bullshit as that "Zionism is racism" UN resolution was back in the 70s.

Nft.

Unread 20-06-2019, 06:38 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
No more appearances on United Stand for O’Neill then.

Funny how he never has any truck with criticism of the parasites...

Unread 20-06-2019, 06:43 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
No more appearances on United Stand for O’Neill then.

Funny how he never has any truck with criticism of the parasites...
I think he only went on there in the first place to humour him and for the LOLZ.

Clearly thought that Goldbridge was a JCL, OOT, fake that he is.

Just reading his tweets. He's an angry man is Tony.

Unread 20-06-2019, 07:10 PM
TheFatGoth

Thought it was Howson he'd been on?

"who ah they?"

Unread 20-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Just reading his tweets. He's an angry man is Tony.
Yep, deffo mainly his tweets that point to his anger issues tbf.

Unread 20-06-2019, 07:48 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yep, deffo mainly his tweets that point to his anger issues tbf.

Unread 09-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Vedder

Unread 09-07-2019, 02:33 PM
ScarFace

he won that argument 100%

Unread 09-07-2019, 05:22 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Goldbridge World account is clearly mark himself...

Unread 09-07-2019, 05:24 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
It's not. Mark has claimed some of his videos and called him a thief ( when he tried to monetise them )

Said he should have offered Mark at least 50% and then he'd have allowed it.

Unread 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM
utd99

Him and Carrick fan are definitely related.

Unread 09-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Cream

Quote:

Connect the dots, Clouseau.

Unread 09-07-2019, 05:58 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Connect the dots, Clouseau.
I did...
Closed Thread