United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Lok

Whilst he's obviously gone on to prove his worth, I think he's had a pretty poor start to the season.

There, I've said it. I can't un-say it.

toseeunited

i always used to stick up for fletch, and lay more blame on fergie playing him out of position, but in the end fergie always comes good and i'm sure he'd say he wasn't ready for CM hence why he pushed him out to the right to learn his first-team trade.

this is one of the reasons that some reds believe wellbeck will make it, cos of the similar treatment...

My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
I have to hold my hands up and say I thought he was shit when he first made the team all those years back but I'm never more happy to eat my words than when its a United player proving me wrong, now days when he is not in the starting 11 I worry.

IMO

Darren Fletcher football genius ...... Darren Fletcher football genius
But he was shit back then. He was £#%&!ing abysmal and shouldn't have been in the team imo. Incredible that he turned it round and I'm sure that 1st team spotlight made him what he is now but there's no getting away from how bobbins he was.

Unread 21-09-2010, 09:35 AM
toseeunited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Whilst he's obviously gone on to prove his worth, I think he's had a pretty poor start to the season.

let's hope that this pass and his performance on sunday kick start his season then:

Unread 21-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Lok

I remember watching him in a friendly against Preston. He was great that day.

I think the penny dropped that pre-season for him. He had been on the fringes for a long time and he really pushed on that year. He's probably the first name on the team sheet now and rightfully so. Fantastic turnaround.

That said, I hate people using Fletcher as an example of the potential of others. Fletcher is clearly the exception, not the rule.

Yes, I'm talking about Gibson.

Unread 21-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
But he was shit back then. He was £#%&!ing abysmal and shouldn't have been in the team imo. Incredible that he turned it round and I'm sure that 1st team spotlight made him what he is now but there's no getting away from how bobbins he was.
Disagree

He was young, and needed the minutes on the pitch to get back to the standard he was before his horrible injury in his youth.

He was obviously very talened when he was in the youth teams, then he bust his leg and was out for ages.

Unread 21-09-2010, 09:58 AM
andyroo

Fletcher always played pretty well in the big games, I remember him playing a blinder in that cup semi against The Utterly Invincible In Every Way Arsenal. Whom we beat. Or against Chelsea in the first game after Keano's Famous Rant™. Scored our winner I believe.

Those were the signs that he wasn't just another clogger.

Unread 21-09-2010, 10:04 AM
The Return of JC

I wasn't in the minority. I remember around 07-08 thinking he was ok, but utterly superfluous due to us having Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves and Anderson. There was nothing he can do that those four can't and he may aswell just leave, for everyone's sake.

The biggest turn around, for me, has been his change in attitude and sheer balls! I always disliked him because he was gutless. He used to shirk tackles and never 'stood up'. Oh, how that's changed. For me, he would've been my choice for captain over Vidic and Rio.

And this is before we even get on to how much his actual game has improved......quite remarkable.

And yes, he may be the exception rather than the rule, but that shouldn't disguise the fact that he is a fabulous example of why you shouldn't rule anyone out and that Fergie is a better manager than any of us.

Personally, I don't think Gibson is good enough. But Fergie does, so what the hell do I know. And Gibson has made far more of an impression now than Fletcher did after the same number of first team games. There's no way I would rule him out and I see far more of a player in him now than I did in Fletcher then.

Oh, but I've always like Berbatov. So ner!

Unread 21-09-2010, 10:05 AM
believe

Wasn't Keane blamed for Fletchers early misfortunes?

Unread 21-09-2010, 10:05 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Disagree

He was young, and needed the minutes on the pitch to get back to the standard he was before his horrible injury in his youth.

He was obviously very talened when he was in the youth teams, then he bust his leg and was out for ages.
You're a Scottish. Of course you always wanted to bum him.

He was £#%&!ing shit. A lanky streak of nothingness who could pass, tackle or shoot.

Next. ffs.

Unread 21-09-2010, 10:52 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

For once you're right.

He looks tentative, lacking in confidence and very similar to how he used to. And it's come at the very worst time. He needs to sort his shit out fast.

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:02 AM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
For once you're right.

He looks tentative, lacking in confidence and very similar to how he used to. And it's come at the very worst time. He needs to sort his shit out fast.
he's played every minute of every game in a very demanding role...a two man midfield alongside scholes means he is expected to both screen in front of the defence and get on the end of things in the box (2 in 5 already) and generally make life easier for scholesy so he can do what he does.

inevitably he looked out on his feet towards the end of the liverpool game, he's earned himself a rest i think. it's imperative we don't burn him out because if we're going to win anything this season we need fletcher at peak fitness for the run in.

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
You're a Scottish. Of course you always wanted to bum him.

He was £#%&!ing shit. A lanky streak of nothingness who could pass, tackle or shoot.

Next. ffs.

I kid you not, he was a shining example of how to run a game from midfield when he was 15/16.

Oh and Fergie doesn't rate Gibson the same as Fletcher. If you look at the games he is picked for compared to when Fletcher was getting into the side the differences are obvious.

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:04 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
he's played every minute of every game in a very demanding role...a two man midfield alongside scholes means he is expected to both screen in front of the defence and get on the end of things in the box (2 in 5 already) and generally make life easier for scholesy so he can do what he does.

inevitably he looked out on his feet towards the end of the liverpool game, he's earned himself a rest i think. it's imperative we don't burn him out because if we're going to win anything this season we need fletcher at peak fitness for the run in.
Mate, it's september not March.

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
For once you're right.

Holy fooking shit.

I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. A million monkeys etc...

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:27 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE

Which is why is was puzzling that, despite resting 10 players, Fletcher played against Rangers.

Hopefully with Anderson coming back, he can be used a little more sparingly. How far away is Carrick, btw?

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:30 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Which is why is was puzzling that, despite resting 10 players, Fletcher played against Rangers.

Hopefully with Anderson coming back, he can be used a little more sparingly. How far away is Carrick, btw?
Not far, probably Cheshire somewhere.

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:41 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not far, probably Cheshire somewhere.
But you don't know where I am.....

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:43 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
But you don't know where I am.....
I thought you meant from Old Trafford tbh.

What use would Carrick be close to you

Unread 21-09-2010, 11:45 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I thought you meant from Old Trafford tbh.

What use would Carrick be close to you
further away from ot the better tbh
Closed Thread