United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-04-2018, 08:53 PM
ScarFace

We need a Ronaldo statue, quickly.

Give us the one that was laughed at. Put it on Charlton's body.

Unread 03-04-2018, 08:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Yep

When you watch the best teams in Europe play you realize elite level football has moved well beyond Jose’s “those who have the ball are afraid” approach to football
There isn't another manager at the top level who approaches the games as consistently conservatively as he does. At least 10-15 years ago when Benitez was considered an elite manager and you had the likes of Hitzfeld and Capello managing top sides, it didn't stand out as much. In the current era watching his approach in big games is just painful.

Unread 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
We need a Ronaldo statue, quickly.

Give us the one that was laughed at. Put it on Charlton's body.

Unread 03-04-2018, 08:57 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The revisionism is staggering. I can't even get into that debate again, it's draining.

But if you can't acknowledge that we're better now than we were lurching from one humiliating defeat at home to another, having one shot on goal the whole game, then I don't know what to say.
I was talking about approach and not the performance of that approach on the pitch
It’s a lot harder to play that total football style than Jose’s belt and braces football

LvG failed but the idea was right and we should have stuck with that

Points are a lot better now but our development as a team to get up to the elite clubs in Europe feels even further away because the approach to begin with is wrong

Unread 03-04-2018, 08:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The revisionism is staggering. I can't even get into that debate again, it's draining.

But if you can't acknowledge that we're better now than we were lurching from one humiliating defeat at home to another, having one shot on goal the whole game, then I don't know what to say.
Two home defeats in the 2015/16 season.

Same as this season...

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Same as this season...
Mad the lies they tell......

Ziggy now in the “should have stuck with him” Camp...

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Mad the lies they tell......

Ziggy now in the “should have stuck with him” Camp...
Can't honestly recall Ziggy's stance at the time actually, but incredible how many people now appreciate that the approach was right, just not the execution. At the time pointing that out was making excuses for the regime iirc

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Points are a lot better now but our development as a team to get up to the elite clubs in Europe feels even further away because the approach to begin with is wrong
exactly this.
Nobody is pining for Van Gaal, we're just disagreeing with the notion that there has been an improvement.
There hasn't.

Fellaini started against Sevilla ffs ..how is that in any way progression away from the horrors of Moyes?

We look cumbersome, boring, dated, confused, unfit ... & we've got a manager who sends us out after HT to just defend our own 18 yard line

I can't remember the stat so I won't use it, but I think in the combined second halves of the Liverpool, Brighton & Swansea games at OT we had half a dozen shots & about 3 corners.

How is that improving?

It's all Ashley Young & Chris Smalling's fault though obviously.
Once they're gone we'll be playing Barcelona off the park.

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Clarkie

Pathetic

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Tiberian

Don't think Ziggy is saying we should have stuck with LVG, would interpret it as sticking with the idea but finding someone else to implement it.

That would give the decision makers above the manager credit for actually having a plan for how the club should move forward on the pitch.

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:06 PM
suedeshoes

Love it. Just witnessed one of the best players I've ever seen score one of the best goals I've ever seen* so I come on here to check the Fred response and it's another argument about Jose.

*Not as good as Rooney's though tbf.

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Love it. Just witnessed one of the best players I've ever seen score one of the best goals I've ever seen* so I come on here to check the Fred response and it's another argument about Jose.

That and the WUMs over LvG, yet again.

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:08 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
That and the WUMs over LvG, yet again.
is this the longest drawn out 'announce' in Fred history?

Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes

Think it was better than rooneys....

Higher initial contact
Jumping away from goal..

ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Can't honestly recall Ziggy's stance at the time actually, but incredible how many people now appreciate that the approach was right, just not the execution. At the time pointing that out was making excuses for the regime iirc
Always loved the idea but the reality on the pitch that final season (bar a few games) was very depressing to watch

Was delighted when LvG was appointed as I always wanted to see that total football style at Utd (and still do)
Sad to see how it turned out

Wanted us to carry on with this approach to football but with Woody at the helm I knew we wouldn’t
Hoped for the best with Jose but after near 2 seasons I’ve seen enough to know Jose will never get get us playing consistently the football I want to see Utd play

Buck

The top teams and their managers don't treat football matches like chess.

The era of calculating every move, readjusting as per your opponents and overall strategic cautiousness was the noughties.

The best teams don't see an away leg draw as a great result. A great result is to win. They try to win and if they lose but come away with an away goal or two, it's fine. A 4-3 defeat is better than 0-0.

Times have changed. Goals scored and rate of goals is the highest probably since the 19th century when the pioneering Norbert Finkelton unleashed the 1-2-7 formation to the world.

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Cream

Quote:

Same as this season...
And four 0-0 draws. (+ a 1-1)

Four 1-0 winz.

Thrilling stuff.

X1 0-0 and a 2-2 this season, save you looking.

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Didn't announce anything. Said I was £#%&!ing off shortly. What's the problem?

Are you going to come over and disconnect my broadband and delete my account?

Unread 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Didn't announce anything. Said I was f***ing off shortly. What's the problem?

Are you going to come over and disconnect my broadband and delete my account?
you're still here
Closed Thread