United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-06-2020, 05:36 PM
Coracao

Just stumbled across a stat of goalkeepers and the number of times they have 'high claimed' the ball this season. Which I am assuming is whilst it is up in the air, in vicinity of players.

He doesn't make the top 20 in the league this season Season before, he was 19th.

Seems to be a weakness that has never been addressed whatsoever.

Unread 25-06-2020, 05:46 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Just stumbled across a stat of goalkeepers and the number of times they have 'high claimed' the ball this season. Which I am assuming is whilst it is up in the air, in vicinity of players.

He doesn't make the top 20 in the league this season Season before, he was 19th.

Seems to be a weakness that has never been addressed whatsoever.
He has a fair few to be honest. His out of this world shot stopping ability coupled with our desperate need for out of this world shot stopping post Fergie papered over a lot of cracks.

De Gea is the best ‘no right to save that’ goalkeeper in the world. All round, he’s average at best.

Unread 25-06-2020, 05:50 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He has a fair few to be honest. His out of this world shot stopping ability coupled with our desperate need for out of this world shot stopping post Fergie papered over a lot of cracks.

De Gea is the best ‘no right to save that’ goalkeeper in the world. All round, he’s average at best.
He reminds me a lot of Shay Given in some of his weaknesses, especially his rooted to his line technique. Thankfully, he is bit better than Given though

Unread 26-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

This.

His highlight reel is sensational. I like how he adjusts his feet too, but he's not a dominant keeper in terms of his commanding of his box, sweeping up balls over the top, crosses. All those aspects are ok at best.

Right now, he's making far too many errors. It's not a blip. It's too long for a blip. However good he has been for us, and he has, there comes a point where it'll be one too many and he will lose his place.

All the keepers since Schmeichel experienced it. Barthez was an world cup winner. He started well enough and had a confidence and composure, but it got to the point with costly errors where he just had to go.

Ole is right to defend him in public by saying he's conceded two goals in 6 matches or whatever it is, but they were both his fault and they both costs us 2 points each. Do it for long enough and it will start to make the defence edgy too.

These types of mistake should be one or two a season, tops.

I can't remember VDS making half the amount of errors de gea has made in the last 12 months.

Unread 26-06-2020, 09:14 AM
elhombre

If this thread doesn't bring Lawless back, nothing will...

Unread 26-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
If this thread doesn't bring Lawless back, nothing will...
I'd rather have Lindegaard back.

Unread 26-06-2020, 09:31 AM
doudou

Yet more evidence that the football side of the club is poorly run -- we've got the highest-paid squad in the league (if you believe city's figures) because too many players aren't worth their wages. Why were Jones, Rojo, Lingard and Smalling given new contracts a 4-year deal for a clapped out Sánchez was madness Clubs and agents play Woodward like a violin

It just speaks to Woodward's cluelessness, and a lack of strategy that's seen us piss away hundreds of millions.

Unread 26-06-2020, 10:17 AM
dunk

Grimson’s input on this matter wouldn’t go amiss

Unread 26-06-2020, 11:28 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Yet more evidence that the football side of the club is poorly run -- we've got the highest-paid squad in the league (if you believe city's figures) because too many players aren't worth their wages. Why were Jones, Rojo, Lingard and Smalling given new contracts a 4-year deal for a clapped out Sánchez was madness Clubs and agents play Woodward like a violin

It just speaks to Woodward's cluelessness, and a lack of strategy that's seen us piss away hundreds of millions.
I certainly wouldn’t put De Gea anywhere near that class. It was important not to have goalkeeper turmoil at the outset of Ole’s stint - jesus, remember Taibi and Bosnich -, that would have made this rebuild incredibly difficult. De Gea just benefited from good timing in getting that deal.

We get raked over the coals for contract decisions because we’re United. Pictures of our players turning up at Carrington is bigger news than Liverpool winning the title. But when you look at the horrendous decisions other top European clubs make, like Barcelona spending 250m on Coutinho and Dembele, Arsenal giving Ozil 350k a week, Chelsea with that goalkeeper etc etc, it puts it into context. To give Ole a fair crack, we had to give De Gea that money.

Unread 26-06-2020, 11:30 AM
MUFC One Love

Good pass the other night to start the counter attack for Rashford's miss.

Unread 26-06-2020, 11:43 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
A good pass? Christ...

Offer him a new contract...

He's done. Get Big Serg in for the remainder of the season, get Dean Henderson in next season and let them fight it out...

Unread 26-06-2020, 11:44 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love

Unread 26-06-2020, 11:45 AM
doudou

Quote:
I certainly wouldn’t put De Gea anywhere near that class. It was important not to have goalkeeper turmoil at the outset of Ole’s stint - jesus, remember Taibi and Bosnich -, that would have made this rebuild incredibly difficult. De Gea just benefited from good timing in getting that deal.

We get raked over the coals for contract decisions because we’re United. Pictures of our players turning up at Carrington is bigger news than Liverpool winning the title. But when you look at the horrendous decisions other top European clubs make, like Barcelona spending 250m on Coutinho and Dembele, Arsenal giving Ozil 350k a week, Chelsea with that goalkeeper etc etc, it puts it into context. To give Ole a fair crack, we had to give De Gea that money.
Yeah, fair point. We have pissed away a lot of money on dross, but De Gea definitely doesn't qualify as that. It would have led to turmoil if our 1st choice keeper left, so yeah I can see why they gave him the deal.

It's just a shame that his form's fallen off a cliff since then

Unread 26-06-2020, 11:50 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
A good pass? Christ...

He's done. Get Big Serg in for the remainder of the season, get Dean Henderson in next season and let them fight it out...
It’s this for me to Jeff.

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:13 PM
dunk

Big Serge

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:43 PM
browser

Henderson will never be the keeper DDG is imo. Think how good VDS was in his later years. Ole needs to get DDG back to his best, he's a match winner when on form in the way that very few keepers are.

I would cash in on Henderson or sign him up long term and send him on loan for 5 years.

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Henderson will never be the keeper DDG is imo. Think how good VDS was in his later years. Ole needs to get DDG back to his best, he's a match winner when on form in the way that very few keepers are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6FjkWQBBg

I would cash in on Henderson or sign him up long term and send him on loan for 5 years.
Henderson has outperformed De Gea in the Premier League this season.

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:50 PM
tatty

If we didn't have another realistic alternative then i'd be saying lets suck it up and keep going with DdG.

But we have an excellent replacement who has proven himself in the PL and is knocking on the door for England.

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:51 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Henderson has outperformed De Gea in the Premier League this season.
Disagree, he's young and English and everyone loves to say he's better than he is. He was at fault for 2 of the Newcastle goals at the weekend but nobody mentioned it. The Richie one was atrocious. His ceiling is nowhere near the levels DDG has consistently reached for us.

Dave's had a dip, it's Ole's job to get him through it.

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:53 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
A good pass? Christ...

Just offering a different take. He isn't shite he is actually still very good and still saves us many times.

People thinking Henderson can come in and comfortably be the number 1 are deluded. His first mistake and the sharks will be circling.
Closed Thread