United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 22-01-2024, 11:36 AM
browser

A pal of mine works in the legal team at the Premier League though not specifically on this case. He says the reason Everton got done so quickly is that they had one charge and accepted it. City have lawyered to the hilt and are contesting every minor aspect of each charge. They are filibustering for as long as they can to delay this getting to court. For example, they've gone to lengths to prove one of the case makers is an arsenal fan and biased as a result

The work involved getting to this stage has been monumental and the League are determined to push for maximum punishments, They are fighting the best defence lawyers money can buy though. Even with some of the evidence already out there, the outcome is far from certain.

Unread 22-01-2024, 11:36 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Yeah, and they seem to think Spurs are a huge player in this too. Not sure why tbh.

The mass delusion that they're totally innocent of EVERYTHING is really odd.
Look at the way the media report on them, even now, as if their story is some sort of fairytale: there they were, this brave underdog club, going nowhere, in the shadow of their moneybags rivals, and suddenly they launched this 'project' (as they always call it ) and achieved glittering success.

It's no wonder many of them have embraced this lunatic narrative. Easier than admitting the truth, that their club is a mass money laundering and cheating project run by a human rights-abusing petrostate.

Unread 22-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Big Norm

Quote:
Yeah, and they seem to think Spurs are a huge player in this too. Not sure why tbh.

The mass delusion that they're totally innocent of EVERYTHING is really odd.
Especially as they've already been found guilty by UEFA.

Unread 22-01-2024, 11:46 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Raised this with one of my blue oddball walking mates on Fridays walk

Apparently the only thing they were guilty of is not providing access to records on time. If they had cooperated, they would have been found not guilty on all charges. The fact that the delays they caused meant the charges were no longer valid does not, in any way, suggest they are guilty

Oh no siree

And as I have stated earlier in the thread, this is a very decent lad, most pleasant friendliest lad you could meet until you mention City then he becomes an aggressive @#%&!

Unread 22-01-2024, 01:14 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Look at the way the media report on them, even now, as if their story is some sort of fairytale: there they were, this brave underdog club, going nowhere, in the shadow of their moneybags rivals, and suddenly they launched this 'project' (as they always call it ) and achieved glittering success.

It's no wonder many of them have embraced this lunatic narrative. Easier than admitting the truth, that their club is a mass money laundering and cheating project run by a human rights-abusing petrostate.
Or 'they have been dodgy as £#%&! for years and it's common knowledge, everyone in the game knows it...'

Which makes you why they've ignored it completely until the Premier League got involved.

Unread 22-01-2024, 01:16 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Raised this with one of my blue oddball walking mates on Fridays walk

Apparently the only thing they were guilty of is not providing access to records on time. If they had cooperated, they would have been found not guilty on all charges. The fact that the delays they caused meant the charges were no longer valid does not, in any way, suggest they are guilty

Oh no siree

And as I have stated earlier in the thread, this is a very decent lad, most pleasant friendliest lad you could meet until you mention City then he becomes an aggressive @#%&!
The Divs on Bloo Moon say they were found guilty, then appealed, then it was dropped They more or less make out the UEFA apologised.

Unread 22-01-2024, 01:34 PM
Fat Al

This is what the BBC said when the Everton & Forest story broke:

"The clubs now have 14 days to submit their formal responses, and under league rules the hearings must be concluded within 12 weeks. Appeal hearings must be held before 24 May 2024 and the complaint resolved before 1 June."

(Full article here)

Why haven't they done the same with City - give them deadlines for the hearings/appeals. OK, they'll need longer to fabricate their evidence of 'innocence', but by not giving a timescale & then this meeting with the Govt coming to light, I'm getting less & less hopeful of any meaningful outcome.

Cursory transfer ban & a huge (huge by other clubs standards) fine that will be paid with some cash their owners found down the back of the settee.

Unread 22-01-2024, 01:41 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
This is what the BBC said when the Everton & Forest story broke:

"The clubs now have 14 days to submit their formal responses, and under league rules the hearings must be concluded within 12 weeks. Appeal hearings must be held before 24 May 2024 and the complaint resolved before 1 June."

(Full article here)

Why haven't they done the same with City - give them deadlines for the hearings/appeals. OK, they'll need longer to fabricate their evidence of 'innocence', but by not giving a timescale & then this meeting with the Govt coming to light, I'm getting less & less hopeful of any meaningful outcome.

Cursory transfer ban & a huge (huge by other clubs standards) fine that will be paid with some cash their owners found down the back of the settee.
Everton and Forest's breaches are quite clearly issues with their books, arent they? City's is much more complex.

Unread 22-01-2024, 02:49 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Everton and Forest's breaches are quite clearly issues with their books, arent they? City's is much more complex.
Yep.

Everton and Forests are just clear breaches and they've been fully co operative with the premier league. Literally open and shut case.

The premier league are accusing City of lying and withholding evidence. Different all together. Never mind the Political pressures of what is a private organisation basically taking on a nation state

Whole thing is a joke

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:08 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Yep.

Everton and Forests are just clear breaches and they've been fully co operative with the premier league. Literally open and shut case.

The premier league are accusing City of lying and withholding evidence. Different all together. Never mind the Political pressures of what is a private organisation basically taking on a nation state

Whole thing is a joke
Obviously & I'm not saying their hearing should be set for next week. But surely they should have been a date set for the hearings & appeals, even if it is in a year or two. If they're setting them in advance for Everton & Forest, why not for City?

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:16 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Obviously & I'm not saying their hearing should be set for next week. But surely they should have been a date set for the hearings & appeals, even if it is in a year or two. If they're setting them in advance for Everton & Forest, why not for City?
My understanding is City is fighting this every step of the way to keep it out of a courtroom and of course City need to release the books to the premier league

City have limitless cash to throw at this so every precaution has to be taken not to allow them to loophole their way out of it again

I could be wrong, but my interpretation of it

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:19 PM
magic_cantona

I was genuinely subtle too.

They're absolutely mental, totally paranoid.

Apparently, the entire prosecution is 'a couple of screenshots and a few hacked emails'

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:29 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
As I have alluded to before, they’ve been hoovering up young players on an industrial scale.

I know of kids in east London and Essex whose parents were offered everything from houses to huge sums of money to join City’s academy. What they’ve done is created a way to not only boost the clubs coffers by selling homegrown players for top dollar, but at the same time denying other clubs the chance to sign them.
In that case they are breaking they another rule & this is all far more searious that what either Forest or Everton have done & both those clubs would surly have a great case to Sue The Premier League, on the grounds that The PL are alllowing cITY to get away with far more searious stuff of which they clearly know about & so their is no way The PL can act or play dumb about this!

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:40 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
In that case they are breaking they another rule & this is all far more searious that what either Forest or Everton have done & both those clubs would surly have a great case to Sue The Premier League, on the grounds that The PL are alllowing cITY to get away with far more searious stuff of which they clearly know about & so their is no way The PL can act or play dumb about this!
Quote:
Last edited by Gordon Hill; Today at 02:31 PM. Reason: punctuaion mistake

Love Gordon

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:42 PM
Big Norm

Quote:

The Divs on Bloo Moon say they were found guilty, then appealed, then it was dropped They more or less make out the UEFA apologised.
It wasn't "dropped". There was a statute of limitations on the punishment for the breaches and City held the process up for so long by not co-operating this had gone past the cut off date.

They were still fined 10 million Euro.

Unread 22-01-2024, 03:45 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
My understanding is City is fighting this every step of the way to keep it out of a courtroom and of course City need to release the books to the premier league

City have limitless cash to throw at this so every precaution has to be taken not to allow them to loophole their way out of it again

I could be wrong, but my interpretation of it
This is massively* overstated imo. It's not like the FA are hiring some clowns, or if city spend a few extra million they gain access to some arcane legal chicanery unknown to the FA lawyers.

* Massive

Unread 22-01-2024, 04:50 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
This is massively* overstated imo. It's not like the FA are hiring some clowns, or if city spend a few extra million they gain access to some arcane legal chicanery unknown to the FA lawyers.

* Massive

Unread 24-01-2024, 06:40 AM
Danoli

Unread 25-01-2024, 10:08 PM
Danoli

Unread 06-02-2024, 03:55 PM
CyrilSkeer

Clearly all legitimate and totally above board........

https://themanc.com/sport/man-city-a...ayer-swapping/