United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Spiffy

Default Who was the last ex-United player to win a trophy as manager?

SAF can't have many seasons left and the obvious choice - Hughes has burnt his bridges. I can't think of any alternative to Mourinho at the moment and he may not be available.

BTW trophies in Scotland don't count if they are for either of the big firm teams.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:17 PM
TreeFiddy

Does winning the Championship count?

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:21 PM
waynes ear's

does winning Champ Manager count?

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Does winning the Championship count?
Uhm, nah. We need a manager who can cut it in the top flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
does winning Champ Manager count?
That depends on how long it took them to win it.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:26 PM
wee man

Larry White I think

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:27 PM
poppy

Wenger is the only man for the job.

He's also a far better manager, Fergie aside, than anyone who has been or will be mentioned on this thread.

He's also at a good age for a nice 6-8 year stint to close his career.

ScarFace

Probably was Blanc.

Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Wenger is the only man for the job.

He's also a far better manager, Fergie aside, than anyone who has been or will be mentioned on this thread.

He's also at a good age for a nice 6-8 year stint to close his career.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Larry White I think
I'd be happy to give him a go to be honest. Good footballing brain. It'll seem odd though bringing a Frenchie in that isn't Eric.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:31 PM
poppy

And he's 6ft 4".

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
And he's 6ft 4".
Wenger won't come and I have doubts about his ability to handle big name players. That's probably why he won't sign any.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:38 PM
dunk

Why does it have to be an ex-United player?

Which other ex-United players have managed us?

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:42 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Wenger won't come and I have doubts about his ability to handle big name players. That's probably why he won't sign any.
Do you not think if Fergie retires at the same time as Wenger's contract expires at the end of next season (I think) then Wenger might be looking to call it quits at Arsenal and be looking for one last big challenge?

He'll have been there 15 years or so and I'll be very surprised if he carries on there past his current deal. Plus, there's been a definite thawing between Fergie and Wenger recently. Maybe it's all been agreed on and they're laying the groundwork.

Wenger as United manager might sound far-fetched right now, but the best ideas always do.

He's coming! I can feel it in my undies!

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Do you not think if Fergie retires at the same time as Wenger's contract expires at the end of next season (I think) then Wenger might be looking to call it quits at Arsenal and be looking for one last big challenge?

He'll have been there 15 years or so and I'll be very surprised if he carries on there past his current deal. Plus, there's been a definite thawing between Fergie and Wenger recently. Maybe it's all been agreed on and they're laying the groundwork.

Wenger as United manager might sound far-fetched right now, but the best ideas always do.

He's coming! I can feel it in my undies!
No. No and thrice no.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:50 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
No. No and thrice no.

I understand where you're coming from. That was how I felt.

However, we're not employing the best one to go for a pint with or the one to keep us best entertained in press conferences.

We need the best man for the job, and I can't think of a better one than Wenger.

Even if he might not be the most likable of blokes.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:51 PM
dunk

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from. That was how I felt.

However, we're not employing the best one to go for a pint with or the one to keep us best entertained in press conferences.

We need the best man for the job, and I can't think of a better one than Wenger.

Even if he might not be the most likable of blokes.
Not on whether he is like able or his ability, he will stay at Arsenal for another 10 years imo.

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:55 PM
poppy

Quote:
Not on whether he is like able or his ability, he will stay at Arsenal for another 10 years imo.
So you'd have him if we could get him?

Unread 22-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Why does it have to be an ex-United player?

Which other ex-United players have managed us?
Well I can't think of any outstanding managers to be honest except Mourinho. If he's not available and we want a new manager we may have to take a gamble on someone. If that's the case I'd expect them to have some United connections to placate the fans. Let's face it, if any other manager had been in charge when Burnley beat us the knee jerk would have been even worse.

Personally I think it's between Mourinho, Larry, Wenger and Benitez.

Unread 22-08-2009, 09:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Well I can't think of any outstanding managers to be honest except Mourinho. If he's not available and we want a new manager we may have to take a gamble on someone. If that's the case I'd expect them to have some United connections to placate the fans. Let's face it, if any other manager had been in charge when Burnley beat us the knee jerk would have been even worse.

Personally I think it's between Mourinho, Larry, Wenger and Benitez.
The kneejerks might not have been so bad, Ferguson is expected to win every game, he's brought that on himself with his success, whoever his replacement is will be under pressure, but will definitely have a 'grace' period where shit can go wrong. Well, with the intelligent fans amongst us.

Blanc will definitely be a candidate, depending on how he fares in the CL, as for other candidates, Mourinho, although I doubt he'll ever get the job. Wenger is a no. He won't leave Arsenal, and he would be stupid to tbh, after all the work he has done, another 3-5 years will see them really come to the fore.

I try not to think about it tbh, i just hope Fergie can carry on till he's 80 and Darren Ferguson can take over with Ole 2nd in command.

Unread 22-08-2009, 09:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
So you'd have him if we could get him?
I'm not sure tbh. I like what he has done, and when talking football (as long as it isn't Arsenal related) I always admire his viewpoint. Put I kind of like our rivals to stay our rivals, if you know what I mean.
Closed Thread