United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money

Unread 01-05-2021, 08:22 PM
armchair

Americans have always loved this kind of thing. Baseball cards. Nintendo cards. They love collectables. I think the current nfts are bullshit but they are just the first itineration of a concept. How much do people pay for skins in games? nfts are a way to own a limited edition of a virtual item. Say there was an ALL-TIME GREAT Maradona available to but in fifa buy only a small number available. A rare pokemon. etc etc. It's still evolving.

Money has always been about rarity. That's why we had the gold standard even though gold isn't that useful.

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:21 PM
tatty

I didn't get the internet or crypto when they first started so i'm wary of mocking NFT's but I just don't see it.

Seems like a money pit that even a 17th-Century Dutchman would laugh at.

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty View Post
I didn't get the internet or crypto when they first started so i'm wary of mocking NFT's but I just don't see it.

Seems like a money pit that even a 17th-Century Dutchman would laugh at.
There Never Was a Real Tulip Fever
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ver-180964915/

Unread 05-05-2021, 02:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
Americans have always loved this kind of thing. Baseball cards. Nintendo cards. They love collectables. I think the current nfts are bullshit but they are just the first itineration of a concept. How much do people pay for skins in games? nfts are a way to own a limited edition of a virtual item. Say there was an ALL-TIME GREAT Maradona available to but in fifa buy only a small number available. A rare pokemon. etc etc. It's still evolving.

Money has always been about rarity. That's why we had the gold standard even though gold isn't that useful.
While youíre right that those things donít exists in the real world, you can at least see the utility or perceived value, even if itís only within the realm of a video game, plus theyíre usually a few bucks. Do these things have any utility or exclusivity at all? What are these hundreds of thousands of real world dollars actually securing?

Unread 05-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99 View Post
While youíre right that those things donít exists in the real world, you can at least see the utility or perceived value, even if itís only within the realm of a video game, plus theyíre usually a few bucks. Do these things have any utility or exclusivity at all? What are these hundreds of thousands of real world dollars actually securing?
Fantasy sports online. If you have common cards for every player but then rare cards that score bonus points, they become more sought after. Sorare.com are already doing it.