United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Crumps

Default Andrew Cole

[YOUTUBE]cRKPP3hvj-s[/YOUTUBE]
£#%&!ing cracking player and the most underrated English player of recent years. A career forever tainted by throw away comment by a God bothering menatalist. Cole > Ruud in my eyes

Unread 29-03-2007, 05:20 PM
koppas

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpsall
[YOUTUBE]cRKPP3hvj-s[/YOUTUBE]
£#%&!ing cracking player and the most underrated English player of recent years. A career forever tainted by throw away comment by a God bothering menatalist. Cole > Ruud in my eyes
That is a £#%&!ing top comment. Very true.

Unread 29-03-2007, 05:23 PM
red red robbo

Not sure about the Ruud bit, but otherwise totally agree.

The only reason Cole didn't play well for England is because he had that @#%&! Shearer alongside him

Unread 29-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Cantona's collar

Cole was quality, he was much more than just a striker.

Unread 29-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Not sure about the Ruud bit, but otherwise totally agree.

The only reason Cole didn't play well for England is because he had that @#%&! Shearer alongside him
I don't doubt the fact that Ruud was a better finisher but Cole had a hell of a lot more in his locker imo. His behaviour since he left us and his attitude towards us since he left has been top notch too imo.

Unread 29-03-2007, 05:30 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
I don't doubt the fact that Ruud was a better finisher but Cole had a hell of a lot more in his locker imo. His behaviour since he left us and his attitude towards us since he left has been top notch too imo.
Can't argue with that.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Tiberian

Cole's England career, got something like 13 games over a 7/8 years period. Never had any faith invested in him by the management too willing to along with the media mockery of him. When you see mediocrities like Johnson, Defoe and Crouch play multiple games you can see how poor the current standard of English strikers is.

Class player, both a creator and scorer of goals and has the right aggressive attitude that i like to see at Utd. Cole would not have allowed Keown to bully him, he would have lamped the Neanderthal.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Fountz

Default I'm sorry but I find this Cole love-in unpallatable..

In this case, the God Bothering Mentalist was spot on..

Oh you'll all come rallying to his cause with phrases like "link-up play", "tireless contribution" etc etc..

..but deep down you know he wasn't good enough for us.

You know he'd bottle it on he big occasion, and yes he scored a few important ones, but it's the old monkeys and typewriters scenario..

If we'd had a genuine quality striker like Batistuta or Shearer alongside Eric, we'd have won at least another European cup or two before 99.

Cast your mind back to his ridiculously timed headers, the fact that he was continually caught offside, the fact that he hid yes he defintely did in games, the fact that his first touch was shocking and he couldn't trap a bag of cement, the fact he had no left foot and had to tie himself in knots and lose all impetus to get the ball onto his right.

Who would you rather have to take the all important chance on the big occasion..

Eric
Hughes
Ole
Sheringham
or Cole.

He'd be the last I choose.

At the end of the day you know what I'm going on about.. Eric certainly did, remember the hands on hips pose and the utter look of disdain he'd give him ?

Cole, hard worker, good Premiership player but ultimately a bottler.. and hardly United's class.

EDIT: And NO Crumpsall I'm not on Wind Up.. I do know how much you love him !

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:40 PM
£#%&! KFC

Cole was a good finisher but not in Nistelrooy's class

he also cost us the Double in 1995...the chances he missed at Upton park were shocking

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
In this case, the God Bothering Mentalist was psot on..
Was he £#%&!. Saying that Cole needed five chances to score is a ludicrous statement. Cole has scored over 250 goals in his career. If he needed five chances to score instead of one or two - you are essentially saying that he should have scored 500 goals.

I didn't see a lack of bottle when he scored one and set up another in Turin; or when he came off the bench to score the goal that won us the Premiership in 99; or when he regularly scored in important games against Liverpool, Arsenal and Leeds.

I don't think many people would dispute that he wasn't on the level of a Batistuta (although I think the likes of Ole and Sheringham are a different matter, as their status as understudies to Cole during their prime years shows) but Cole deserves every bit of the praise he gets for his time at United in my opinion.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Cole was a good finisher but not in Nistelrooy's class

he also cost us the Double in 1995...the chances he missed at Upton park were shocking
Eric cost us the double not Coley missing a few chances. McClair, Ince and Hughes were just as guilty with quite easy chances missed that day too.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
I'm not too sure.

Now firstly I don't doubt for a second that Cole was a brilliant professional and fantastic player for us. But the sight of him enjoying playing for City whilst they chanted 'he's not Munich anymore' has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Not to take away his service for us, he was fantastic and very likeable - but the bitters have ruined my memory of him.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward #@&%!hands
I'm not too sure.

Now firstly I don't doubt for a second that Cole was a brilliant professional and fantastic player for us. But the sight of him enjoying playing for City whilst they chanted 'he's not Munich anymore' has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Not to take away his service for us, he was fantastic and very likeable - but the bitters have ruined my memory of him.
I do like the way he bailed on them on transfer deadline day last summer, though.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:50 PM
£#%&! KFC

with Eric we'd have walked it agreed but Cole wasn't up to it that day at Upton park and he missed more easy sitters than the other three put together, we could have won three doubles in a row

he was a good player and I actually think we got rid a season too soon but he's not in Nistelrooy's class (ie when he was at United)

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Tiberian

Why do people give so much import to Eric's opinion? Great footballer who in his life after football has made a career out of being a parody of himself.

Cole was able to have excellent partnerships with nearly every striker he played with bar Eric. He scored a range of goals, inside and outside the box, headers, overhead kicks, chips. Fantastic movement, and tried to play most things first time which kept the pace of our attacks up.

He had flaws, he was not a poor finisher, but when he did miss they tended to be really bad, Forlan style.

His year with Yorke is the best and most fluid front pairing that i have ever seen.

Unread 29-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I do like the way he bailed on them on transfer deadline day last summer, though.
for Pompey A much bigger club.

Unread 29-03-2007, 07:34 PM
shadowplay

My confirmation name is Andrew

MOTWYW

Unread 29-03-2007, 09:00 PM
walker1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward #@&%!hands
I'm not too sure.

absolutely spot on. nft to that

Unread 29-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Eric cost us the double
How on earth do you make that out ?

Quote:
not Coley missing a few chances.
..and it was a lot more that a few..

Unread 29-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Why do people give so much import to Eric's opinion? Great footballer who in his life after football has made a career out of being a parody of himself.
Disagree with that.. and what's more I'm refering to Eric's opinion of him at the time. I'm not talking about taking my cue from his reaction, I'm talking about him underlining what I could see with my own eyes.

Quote:
Cole was able to have excellent partnerships with nearly every striker he played with bar Eric.
Not strictly true.
If we're refering to United, then really there were only 3 real partnerships..

Eric. ( A clever player who didn't rate him )
Yorke. ( No idea whether he rated him, but I acknowledge, certainly for a time this was a decent parnership and the period where Cole played his best )
Sheringham. ( A clever player who didn't rate him )
Closed Thread