United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2021, 11:38 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
You are surrounded by racists if you don't call that out.
I'll lean over and tell her.

Unread 02-04-2021, 11:50 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
I remember pulling someone up at work for referring to an Asian man as a Chinaman.

“If he’s Chinese, and you need to refer to NEED to use his nationality to refer to him.. just use the work Chinese as you would with the food”.

“Ahh You’re right, they do a right good chinky near me!”

Ffs.
Reminds me of that old joke. Englishman, Irishman and a Chinese man walk into a noodle bar. Barman says - no westerners allowed. Chinese man says - ha, good. Barman says - no I mean no Szechuan or Guizhou province dwellers.

A lot to go on there.

Unread 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
This came up on here a few years ago in relation to ordering food.

I still regularly hear 'having a chinky' from people who would be utterly mortified if they thought it was racist.

Unread 03-04-2021, 11:24 AM
shenwen

It’s a bit shouty but overall the message is clear. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
This came up on here a few years ago in relation to ordering food.

I still regularly hear 'having a chinky' from people who would be utterly mortified if they thought it was racist.
Been examples of similar on here from otherwise sound and even politically right on posters. I’ve been saying for years that casual racism toward East Asians is the last acceptable form of racism. Looks like it’s finally getting some attention.

Unread 03-04-2021, 12:11 PM
NedKelly

Haven’t heard chinky in years. Oddly the most racism I’ve come across outside of the internet has been from Indians to Pakistanis and vice versa. They really hate each other.

Unread 03-04-2021, 12:22 PM
History

I remember getting into it with someone on the way out of Wembley in 2009. Semi final, I think spurs knocked us out on Penalties. (Could be wrong)

Absolute @#%&! giving it Giggs and a few other black players. Awful @#%&!

Unread 03-04-2021, 05:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
It’s a bit shouty but overall the message is clear. Good job.

Been examples of similar on here from otherwise sound and even politically right on posters. I’ve been saying for years that casual racism toward East Asians is the last acceptable form of racism. Looks like it’s finally getting some attention.
I admit to having (once) used it on here, it is still common parlance locally.

Unread 03-04-2021, 09:16 PM
Pancho77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I don't recall that.

When I say anti racist, there was some casual racism that would not be acceptable today, but in the context of the time, United were a beacon of equality and tolerance.

And nobody can tell me otherwise. Because I was there.

Cheers
Same here
Closed Thread