Unread 02-04-2021, 04:22 PM
armchair

Default United's new anti-racism campaign

I think it's a pretty decent effort.

Unread 02-04-2021, 04:32 PM
naes_sean

Unread 02-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Fat Al

Reminds me of that episode of Cracker when they bust in on that gang of skinheads & Eccleston starts berating one of them for having a United poster.

Unread 02-04-2021, 05:30 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Unread 02-04-2021, 06:10 PM
Red_Rizla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Reminds me of that episode of Cracker when they bust in on that gang of skinheads & Eccleston starts berating one of them for having a United poster.
Okay, I do not post much, but Fat Al, I am so annoyed with you for putting that Eccleston chant in my head. It took me years to get rid of it. (I see what you mean though)

Unread 02-04-2021, 06:19 PM
Cream

The United I grew up supporting didn't have a racist fanbase.

Nobody really spoke about it. It was just a generally known fact, and one that I assume most fans were proud of.

This just feels like another example of society's obsession with blanket berating the vast majority of decent folk out there.

I suppose they have to be seen to be doing something to tackle those anonymous twonks on twitter. £#%&!ing internet.

Unread 02-04-2021, 06:58 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Confusing, seeing as Eccleston is a massive Red, or do you mean Bernie rather than Chris?

Unread 02-04-2021, 07:10 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
Confusing, seeing as Eccleston is a massive Red, or do you mean Bernie rather than Chris?

Unread 02-04-2021, 07:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Nobody really spoke about it. It was just a generally known fact, and one that I assume most fans were proud of.

This just feels like another example of society's obsession with blanket berating the vast majority of decent folk out there.

I suppose they have to be seen to be doing something to tackle those anonymous twonks on twitter. £#%&!ing internet.
We never had the problem that certain clubs did, but the NF could be found grubbing around Old Trafford 40-odd years ago just as in many other places - and yes some fell for their shit.

Unread 02-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Pancho77

Quote:

I suppose they have to be seen to be doing something to tackle those anonymous twonks on twitter. f***ing internet.
Correct unlike a lot of clubs

Unread 02-04-2021, 09:44 PM
Switching Off

My club

Unread 02-04-2021, 09:46 PM
armchair

Quote:
You say that but you are a white guy. You wouldn't necessarily notice stuff.

This site was always anti-racist but there was a huge controversy about telling people they were racist for using the term p*ki. Same with chink.

Both were very common.

Same with the f*g bomb.

Unread 02-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Pancho77

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair

This site was always anti-racist but there was a huge controversy about telling people they were racist for using the term p*ki. Same with chink.

Both were very common.

Same with the f*g bomb.
Thats a good point to be fair

Unread 02-04-2021, 10:26 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
We never had the problem that certain clubs did, but the NF could be found grubbing around Old Trafford 40-odd years ago just as in many other places - and yes some fell for their shit.
I don't recall that.

Quote:

Both were very common.

Same with the f*g bomb.
When I say anti racist, there was some casual racism that would not be acceptable today, but in the context of the time, United were a beacon of equality and tolerance.

And nobody can tell me otherwise. Because I was there.

Cheers

Unread 02-04-2021, 10:29 PM
armchair

Quote:
When I say anti racist, there was some casual racism that would not be acceptable today, but in the context of the time, United were a beacon of equality and tolerance.

And nobody can tell me otherwise. Because I was there.

Cheers
Totally agree with that. Goes without question.

Unread 02-04-2021, 10:37 PM
tatty

Quote:

Both were very common.

Same with the f*g bomb.

This came up on here a few years ago in relation to ordering food.

I still regularly hear 'having a chinky' from people who would be utterly mortified if they thought it was racist.

Unread 02-04-2021, 10:38 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
This came up on here a few years ago in relation to ordering food.

I still regularly hear 'having a chinky' from people who would be utterly mortified if they thought it was racist.
I haven't heard it in 10 years.

Unread 02-04-2021, 11:21 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I don't recall that
Football grounds were a major recruiting centre for them in those days. It would have been amazing if they hadn't at least have made the attempt with OT at some point.

They certainly did at Newcastle, and I was one of the "scruffy students" (to quote another current thread) who played a small part in getting them to £#%&! off there as well

Unread 02-04-2021, 11:29 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
You are surrounded by racists if you don't call that out.

Unread 02-04-2021, 11:37 PM
ryanMUFC

I remember pulling someone up at work for referring to an Asian man as a Chinaman.

“If he’s Chinese, and you need to refer to NEED to use his nationality to refer to him.. just use the work Chinese as you would with the food”.

“Ahh You’re right, they do a right good chinky near me!”

Ffs.
Closed Thread