United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Mr_Ed

Default I first followed American Football in 1986

and then lost interest in the nineties when I discovered drugs, women, booze and razzle magazine. However I keep my eye on it again and have noted that, in the 20 odd years since I started watching:

The New England Patriots have completely redesigned their strip and logo
The Houston Oilers moved somewhere else and got a new franchise called the Houston Texans (not sure where the Oilers went)
The Indianapolis Colts (originally from Baltimore) went back to Baltimore to become the Ravens and somebody moved to Indianapolise to get the Colts Franchise (so technically the superbowl winners weren't the ones from 1971 but that's a minor detail and I think they were the Baltimore Colts when they won it in the first place)
The Denver Broncos have completely redesigned their strip and logo
The LA Raiders have moved back to Oakland (where they originally came from)
The Giants and Cowboys have changed their strips as have the Buccs
The LA Rams moved to Saint Lewis Rams - The original St Lewis Cardinals upped sticks to Arizone to become the Arizone Cardinals

That's about it really apart from the re-design of the divisions and the introduction of 4 new franchises.

It saddens me but I reckon that our PL teams will be doing similar things with strips and colours in the near future - it's the way things are going. We've already seen the club logo changed for copyright purposes etc.

I don't know why I've typed all that now... I've forgotten my point.

Unread 04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Grimson

You got most of that right, except the Indy Colts. The Baltimore Colts moved there to become the Indy Colts, and they've never left. The Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns - they moved to Baltimore in 1996. Then Cleveland got a "new" Browns in 1999.

Unread 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
dodger

Where is oakland?
You forgot to draw the comparison between shirt names and numbers in NFL with the premier league.
How have the Dolphins become so shit?
I don't really watch it but look out for the NY Jets. Why have always been usually the worst team in the NFL?

Unread 04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You got most of that right, except the Indy Colts. The Baltimore Colts moved there to become the Indy Colts, and they've never left. The Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns - they moved to Baltimore in 1996. Then Cleveland got a "new" Browns in 1999.
So if you were a browns fan in 1995 who do you support now?

Unread 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Exactly...

I do remember one year when the Jets started the season at 10-1 and then lost their last 5 and went shit... that's the best they've done I think...

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
The Browns that are in Cleveland now. Browns fans hate the owner of the Ravens, Art Modell, who moved the team to Baltimore, with a passion. So they hate his team too.

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Sparky***

what a £#%&!ing hollow, plastic, merry-go-round of faceless capitalism. They are totally devoid of any idea of tradition or soul those £#%&!ing septics.

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:10 PM
HarkNowHear

i like the Steelers

back to back bowls twice sometime

kinda reminded me of the reds

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
what a £#%&!ing hollow, plastic, merry-go-round of faceless capitalism. They are totally devoid of any idea of tradition or soul those £#%&!ing septics.
Actually that's a pretty ignorant statement. There is plenty of tradition and soul in the NFL, just as there have been plenty of teams in English football who have come and gone.

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Actually that's a pretty ignorant statement. There is plenty of tradition and soul in the NFL, just as there have been plenty of teams in English football who have come and gone.
Indeed, I recently finished reading this book. Very good read.

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
tatty

So let me get this right.

You support a team and half way through the season they might £#%&! off somewhere else?

Do the fans follow the original team or do they support whichever cuckoos land in the nest next?

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Smiling Bastard

I don't think teams move as much as they used to. There was a time when owners would threaten to move their team to a different city unless the city gave them something, e.g. built them a new stadium. Several cities gave in rather than lose the team their voters support and the fame that goes with having an NFL team. I think what happened with the Browns was that Cleveland called the guy's bluff. It doesn't happen so much these days.

And if it does happen, you don't support the lot that moved to Baltimore, changed their name, and started wearing purple.

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Bastard
There was a time when owners would threaten to move their team to a different city unless the city gave them something, e.g. built them a new stadium
the Glazers did that at the buccs did they not?

£#%&!ing @#%&!s

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Indeed, I recently finished reading this book. Very good read.

he is a legend and possibly the greatest coach that has ever lived

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
and then lost interest in the nineties when I discovered drugs, women, booze and razzle magazine. However I keep my eye on it again and have noted that, in the 20 odd years since I started watching:

The New England Patriots have completely redesigned their strip and logo
The Houston Oilers moved somewhere else and got a new franchise called the Houston Texans (not sure where the Oilers went)
The Indianapolis Colts (originally from Baltimore) went back to Baltimore to become the Ravens and somebody moved to Indianapolise to get the Colts Franchise (so technically the superbowl winners weren't the ones from 1971 but that's a minor detail and I think they were the Baltimore Colts when they won it in the first place)
The Denver Broncos have completely redesigned their strip and logo
The LA Raiders have moved back to Oakland (where they originally came from)
The Giants and Cowboys have changed their strips as have the Buccs
The LA Rams moved to Saint Lewis Rams - The original St Lewis Cardinals upped sticks to Arizone to become the Arizone Cardinals

That's about it really apart from the re-design of the divisions and the introduction of 4 new franchises.

It saddens me but I reckon that our PL teams will be doing similar things with strips and colours in the near future - it's the way things are going. We've already seen the club logo changed for copyright purposes etc.

I don't know why I've typed all that now... I've forgotten my point.
don't forget the falcons have changed their colours as well. Everyone always forgets the falcons. I wonder why

Unread 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
When the Giants had him and Landry coaching? Now that was some set up!

Unread 04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
neworder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
hence why the superbowl trophy is named after him

and as for the new england patriots

£#%&! those £#%&!ing £#%&!head £#%&!ing @#%&!bags

I hope they all die

Unread 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
the Glazers did that at the buccs did they not?

£#%&!ing @#%&!s
Yup. http://tampa.creativeloafing.com/gyr...d=oid%3A293314

@#%&!s is the word.

Unread 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Ashley's Grime

There are hardly any teams in the NFL with any real history. Philly, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Chicago and I think NY Giants were formed in the 20's.

They call Dallas America's team and they were only formed in 1960!

Unread 04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
How many football (soccer ) teams up sticks and move cities when the owners don't get their own way?
Closed Thread