United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM
no fun

Default Why didn’t Matic wear a poppy on his shirt yesterday?

Didn’t know about this, but it’s meantioned in this (now annual) article about James McClean (who btw did a tremendous wum by quoting bobby sands in his response)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ing-poppy.html

Club statement saying personal choice....anyone know the background?

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Didn’t know about this, but it’s meantioned in this (now annual) article about James McClean (who btw did a tremendous wum by quoting bobby sands in his response)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ing-poppy.html

Club statement saying personal choice....anyone know the background?
NATO bombed Serbia in the 90s, so anything military is probably anathema to him.

I didn't notice tbh. Barely noticed Matic was playing.

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:26 PM
armchair

saw it yesterday and apparently he's worn it in the past. so dunno

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Bunker Buster

He's worn it in previous seasons

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Jack Duckworth

probably just for a wum. i think i'd refuse just to wind people up, tbh.

when did it become mandatory for every player to wear a poppy on their shirt, btw? i don't remember it being an issue at all until the last few years.

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Mr_Ed

Maybe he didn’t think it complemented pink as well as red? Or maybe he just didn’t notice last year.

It’s optional anyway isn’t it? Therefore newsworthy?

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:32 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Maybe he didn’t think it complemented pink as well as red? Or maybe he just didn’t notice last year.

It’s optional anyway isn’t it? Therefore newsworthy?
I think the inference is that all the shirts have a poppy sewn on unless that player specifically says no

McLeans reasons are well documented, but matic??

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:34 PM
£#%&! KFC

Maybe it was invisible ..like him 🙄

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:37 PM
red in cumbria

Should have worn a white one to REALLY get the gammons riled tbh

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Buck

He's a free thinker

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I think the inference is that all the shirts have a poppy sewn on unless that player specifically says no

McLeans reasons are well documented, but matic??

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Should have worn a white one to REALLY get the gammons riled tbh
Terfs, Hammond... someone’s been listening to James O’Brien

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:53 PM
TheFatGoth

Unread 04-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
me neither, its funny the faux "outrage" Mclean causes though

Unread 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
“Uneducated cavemen”

Unread 04-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

I love how every year it comes up about MacLean, and how he still won't wear it. Do they think he's going to change his mind

Unread 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Zorg

Maybe he’s sick of hearing about the £#%&!ing things.

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Knockers

Was delighted to see today that Stagecoach buses have not Forgotten. Every bus ‘wearing’ the poppy.

Moaning about mental students snowflakes taking over the world? This %@#$&!s becoming de rigueur is a thousand times worse than clapping bans.

Watched Strictly last night. Every £#%&!er had a pin badge on, a week and bit before Remembrance Sunday. God forbid a second might go by without a salsa jive being danced on British tv by a Hungarian fruit poppy-less.

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM
red in cumbria

Hopefully once we have passed next Sunday - and I admit the 100th anniversary of WW1's end is a significant one - this quasi-fascistic "heroes" mania will die down a bit.

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:15 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Was delighted to see today that Stagecoach buses have not Forgotten. Every bus ‘wearing’ the poppy.

Moaning about mental students snowflakes taking over the world? This %@#$&!s becoming de rigueur is a thousand times worse than clapping bans.

Watched Strictly last night. Every £#%&!er had a pin badge on, a week and bit before Remembrance Sunday. God forbid a second might go by without a salsa jive being danced on British tv by a Hungarian fruit poppy-less.
I spotted that and cringed.

When I was a kid - 35 years after the end of war - I’m sure it was only worn the week of the 11th and it certainly wasn’t a huge drama.

For me it was a respectful nod to the sacrifices made in WW1 and to a lesser degree WW2.

Now? It’s a big deal going straight from Halloween to this.

Next year I might wear a red pumpkin with Hitler’s face cut into it.
Closed Thread