United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 03-01-2024, 10:13 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
We're getting rid of our best centre back are we?

Seems like a good plan.
Plays around 50 percent of a season. Bin

Unread 03-01-2024, 11:19 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
We're getting rid of our best centre back are we?

Seems like a good plan.
He's on 300k a week and he's played 56 appearances in 3 seasons. He's missed 40 matches since he's been here through injury.

You can't rely on him to stay fit. We need someone quicker and younger.

Unread 03-01-2024, 11:27 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
He's on 300k a week and he's played 56 appearances in 3 seasons. He's missed 40 matches since he's been here through injury.

Wiki says he's played 79 mate. And the most recent missed games were Ten Hag dropping him for Evans or Maguire for... reasons... And it's not 3 seasons is it?

Apart from that you've made some excellent points there.

Unread 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Wiki says he's played 79 mate. And the most recent missed games were Ten Hag dropping him for Evans or Maguire for... reasons... And it's not 3 seasons is it?

Apart from that you've made some excellent points there.
Are you alright mate?

If we could guarantee he'd play 45 games a season then i'd say yeah deffo hang onto him, but the fact is he's 30 years old, constantly gets injured and if we're looking to move away from this policy of signing older players on big money then we need to be smart.

Unread 04-01-2024, 11:07 AM
Coracao

You can't rely on Varane or Shaw tbf.

Shaw's record is abysmal, circa 50% of league games missed in 9 and a half seasons. Managed 25+ league games 3 times.

Shame as has improved a lot from where he was. But not one you can rely on, in such an increasingly important position.

Unread 04-01-2024, 11:26 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Are you alright mate?

If we could guarantee he'd play 45 games a season then i'd say yeah deffo hang onto him, but the fact is he's 30 years old, constantly gets injured and if we're looking to move away from this policy of signing older players on big money then we need to be smart.
How many players do we have who've played 45 games a season?

Bruno?

Unread 04-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
How many players do we have who've played 45 games a season?

Bruno?
That’s where Manchester United are now, mate. 45 games is not a big ask but when yo have fannies like:

Wan
Malacia
Varane
Shaw
Casemiro
Mount
Eriksen
Martial
Donny
Sancho
+

Who struggle to get to 30 games (50% in a busy season) they want shifting

Unread 04-01-2024, 09:41 PM
suedeshoes

Can't believe this lad won the world cup and Champions league. Stumbles around looking like a confused giraffe.

Unread 04-01-2024, 10:05 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Can't believe this lad won the world cup and Champions league. Stumbles around looking like a confused giraffe.
Utter nonsense

Unread 04-01-2024, 11:10 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Utter nonsense
It really is, mad..

I’d still not be worried if he went though, class as he is he just can’t stay fit and a settled CB pairing is one of the few things that has been as true now as it was since I started watching the game 35 years ago.

Unread 04-01-2024, 11:16 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
It really is, mad..

I’d still not be worried if he went though, class as he is he just can’t stay fit and a settled CB pairing is one of the few things that has been as true now as it was since I started watching the game 35 years ago.
Oh absolutely, I really like him, I think he’s an absolutely fantastic player, and one of the few CBs I genuinely enjoy watching. But can understand the reasoning behind letting him go, it makes sense on the pitch and financially I think. As long as we bring some genuine quality in obviously

Unread 04-01-2024, 11:51 PM
suedeshoes

He was finished when arrived.

Unread 05-01-2024, 12:03 AM
tatty

He's the sort of player we used to laugh at Chelsea signing 20 years ago.

Unread 05-01-2024, 12:14 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He's the sort of player we used to laugh at Chelsea signing 20 years ago.
The Chelsea that were winning the league 20 years ago?

Unread 05-01-2024, 11:07 PM
avocado

Not sure we are “letting him go”. If we take up the option on his contract we are stuck with his current wages. Presume they will try and keep him, but on a sensible reduced salary bearing in mind his age and fitness record. If he agrees it’s good business. If he doesn’t, no-one should cry. Nothing to get excited about.

Unread 05-01-2024, 11:41 PM
puressence

Love the ones who are rules out with sick ? Wan bissaka and martial and rashford. Always a week or 2 here sick. Sick of what you @#%&!s heartless @#%&!s £#%&! em all

Unread 05-01-2024, 11:44 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Love the ones who are rules out with sick ? Wan bissaka and martial and rashford. Always a week or 2 here sick. Sick of what you @#%&!s heartless @#%&!s £#%&! em all
Rearrange words in correct order

Unread 07-01-2024, 05:06 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Fat GPT - Artificial Ignorance.

Unread 07-01-2024, 10:45 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:

One of our best players last season & the partnership of Varane & Martinez was an absolute top-class one, however I totely exept the points your making there mainly because he's obviously a year older & is gonna even slower the longer he stays sadly.

Unread 02-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Chris Quayd

Raphael Varane has opened up on suffering concussions in multiple football matches and how his body has been “damaged” by heading during fixtures.

In an interview with L’Equipe, Varane outlined specific incidents of suffering concussions during fixtures for France and Real Madrid, and the impact this had on his performance in subsequent matches.

The 30-year-old said how he suffered a concussion during France’s 2014 World Cup last-16 clash against Nigeria after the football struck his temple, claiming that he played the rest of the match on “autopilot” mode.

“If someone had spoken to me at that time, I don’t even know if I would have been able to respond,” Varane recalled. “I don’t remember the game after this incident.”

He explained how he lost appetite, was dehydrated and lost weight — but these symptoms were not enough to stop him from wanting to play against Germany in the quarter-final.

Varane said he did not feel at full capacity for the game, which France lost 1-0, but explained he had not spoken publicly about the experience for a decade as he did not want it to “sound like an excuse”.

He added: “What we will never know is what would have happened if I had taken another impact to the head. When you know that repeated concussions have a potentially fatal effect…well, at the time, I wasn’t a family man. But today, I have three children and I think differently.”

Varane described a similar incident six years later, when he was substituted off for Real Madrid in a La Liga match against Getafe after taking a ball to head, and suffering extreme fatigue for several days after.

His next match was against Manchester City in the return leg of a last-16 Champions League tie. The central defender explained after not feeling well in the warm-up, he then “felt like a spectator” during the game. He suffered an off-night, making mistakes in the build-up to two goals in a 2-1 loss.

Towards the end of the following season he missed crucial La Liga and Copa Del Rey fixtures after complaining to club doctors of dizzy spells which continued to affect him during pre-season. He signed for Manchester United later that summer.

Varane said he had not been made aware of micro-concussions — incremental head impacts that lead to concussions — until this season, when Manchester United players were advised not to head the ball on more than 10 occasions during training sessions.

However, this caution cannot be replicated in live match situations. Varane acknowledged “saying you feel tired” following repeated head actions can still carry a stigma.