United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 22-09-2023, 07:20 AM
Hyman_Roth

LMBT’s were phased out well before 2005. Early 90’s iirc becuase I used to have one and they stopped doing them.

Anyway, it’s an old argument but everyone giving up on mass was the most stupid idea ever suggested. It was simply never going to work - especially at a time of huge success for the club. It might have worked if Fergie had led the campaign to revolt but it needed a leader of that stature - not a driving instructor from Tameside. The reality was that it had Fergie and Gill persuading supporters to stick by the club.

And then to imply guilt on those not following such an unworkable and stupid idea is a piss take - it’s similar to right wing arguments that migrants are sinking the nhs - arguments that intentionally divert you away from the real issue. Probably why 92 is so on board with it.

The take up of shares by supporters was minimal - so it became obvious to anyone early on that leaving on mass was utterly pointless. How many left united to wear flared trousers and pretend it was the 1970’s at FC united? 5,000 initially.

The only thing that could probably get rid of the glazers was interest rates going up.

And don’t complain about the owners and protest if you’re still attending? Again the most basic argument which is music to the Glazers ears. Everyone knows protesting whilst also supporting the club is a flawed concept but you want to silence that? Give over pal.

If you want a chufty badge for leaving in 2005 then go for your life but criticising those that didn’t is an easy and misguided endeavour.

Unread 22-09-2023, 07:25 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
LMBT’s were phased out well before 2005. Early 90’s iirc becuase I used to have one and they stopped doing them.

Anyway, it’s an old argument but everyone giving up on mass was the most stupid idea ever suggested. It was simply never going to work - especially at a time of huge success for the club. It might have worked if Fergie had led the campaign to revolt but it needed a leader of that stature - not a driving instructor from Tameside. The reality was that it had Fergie and Gill persuading supporters to stick by the club.

And then to imply guilt on those not following such an unworkable and stupid idea is a piss take - it’s similar to right wing arguments that migrants are sinking the nhs - arguments that intentionally divert you away from the real issue. Probably why 92 is so on board with it.

The take up of shares by supporters was minimal - so it became obvious to anyone early on that leaving on mass was utterly pointless. How many left united to wear flared trousers and pretend it was the 1970’s at FC united? 5,000 initially.

The only thing that could probably get rid of the glazers was interest rates going up.

If you want a chufty badge for leaving in 2005 then go for your life but criticising those that didn’t is an easy and misguided endeavour.
agree with every word (except I think LMTBs were still available in 05)

fergie was realistically the only way to stop the glazers.

Unread 22-09-2023, 07:28 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
agree with every word (except I think LMTBs were still available in 05)

fergie was realistically the only way to stop the glazers.
Really? Wow. I’m sure I was told by the club that lmtb’s were becoming ST’s maybe it was just where we were in the stadium at the time.

Unread 22-09-2023, 07:32 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Really? Wow. I’m sure I was told by the club that lmtb’s were becoming ST’s maybe it was just where we were in the stadium at the time.
pretty sure it happened a couple of years into the glazership, and there was a load of fuss about it being a money grabbing exercise forcing people to buy cup tickets

Unread 22-09-2023, 09:33 AM
jem

no one would have had to give up a season ticket, as explained before. piecemeal boycotting has always been utterly pointless (except as a statement of personal principle). keef is, however, right that it was a failure of imagination/leadership. supporters were never going to garner enough change from down the back of the sofa, so buying the club was always doomed unless, instead of trying to get enough money to buy, we tried to reduce the value of the club to what we could afford. if fergie had come out against the takeover (and explained his reasoning - as what is now glazer history was entirely predictable and predicted), it would have made a difference, but the people who did have a platform disappointed.

bearing a grudge against people who kept going is silly. it was (and is) a collective failure to see that the consumer is king.

Unread 22-09-2023, 10:39 AM
Zorg

Quote:

And don’t complain about the owners and protest if you’re still attending? Again the most basic argument which is music to the Glazers ears. Everyone knows protesting whilst also supporting the club is a flawed concept but you want to silence that? Give over pal.

That's ridiculous, I was wearing flared trousers well before that

Unread 22-09-2023, 10:42 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
You will never get to a situation where there is a nil attendance at OT so your argument is pretty defunct and simplistic at best
Thanks for that Avram

Unread 22-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Lok

Will we ever hear anything official about this? Or are the Glazers just going to pretend nothing ever happened and never mention it again?

Unread 22-09-2023, 11:06 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Will we ever hear anything official about this? Or are the Glazers just going to pretend nothing ever happened and never mention it again?
Part of me actually thinks this. I'm just hoping that because we've not heard from Qatar or SJR, the process isn't done and we still have hope. The NDA's mean shit once everything is done. Don't they?

Unread 22-09-2023, 11:37 AM
AK14

Newcastle takeover was similar (obviously much less attention) that there was a lot of noise early but then went quiet for month.

Maybe it’s going through all it’s all the due diligence stuff (ironic) and we’ll something soon.

Unread 22-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Chris Quayd

Gave up my LMTB in '05, they were still a thing for a few more years until they converted everyone to ST's that at the time had the mandatory cup scheme.

The sad fact is the overhwelming majority of fans including match-goers don't care that much about who owns the club. It's understandable to a point, no matter who has owned the club there have always been misgivings about the way the club is ran so supporters stick to the remit of supporting as even the many thousands who do care can't actually agree on either a plan of action nor what type of ownership they want, hence SJR v Qatar.

There are plenty of hindsight moments from the share issue, Murdoch and the lack of safeguards put in place thereafter, Rock of Gibraltar, Fergie's silence in '05 etc where things might have been different. Not a day that goes by I don't want the Glazers gone but the only way that's happening is pure economics so while the game grows and grows it's an uphill battle.

Unread 22-09-2023, 02:50 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Newcastle takeover was similar (obviously much less attention) that there was a lot of noise early but then went quiet for month.

Maybe it’s going through all it’s all the due diligence stuff (ironic) and we’ll something soon.
Think they’re trying to perfect the CGI for the Sheikh before making the announcement.

Unread 26-09-2023, 06:17 AM
Mr_Ed

Unread 26-09-2023, 07:40 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
If that doesn't force them out then nothing will

Unread 26-09-2023, 09:43 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
If that doesn't force them out then nothing will
It might if they sent them the invoice.

Unread 26-09-2023, 02:30 PM
ScarFace

Imagine the glazers owned the plane company.... paying them to boo

Unread 26-09-2023, 02:41 PM
System Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Imagine the glazers owned the plane company.... paying them to boo
I can only assume the Glazers were completely oblivious to the protest, probably flew straight over their heads

Unread 26-09-2023, 03:37 PM
Sparky***

Unread 26-09-2023, 10:40 PM
red in cumbria

Well that's interesting, just for showing he hasn't given up.

Unread 26-09-2023, 10:49 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well that's interesting, just for showing he hasn't given up.
The big problem is that he would want to keep those parasites -on for another 3 years & therfor hoping this promps another bigger bid from Quatar as I stll belive they would represent the better option, however if JR wins through then I guess i shall have to hope & pray he makes me eat loads of humble pie.