United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-03-2023, 10:00 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
Publicly embarrassed Carragher though, tbf

Also what’s the crack with the Qatari bid as far as the authorities are concerned? Presume any takeover would have to be approved by them and what’s the crack with PSG ownership? Are the Qataris simply claiming that it’s two separate ownership organisations?

Same with JR and Nice I guess.

Unread 22-03-2023, 10:24 AM
shenwen

I think right now you can own two teams but they can’t play in the same competition. So if we qualify for the CL, PSG will need to drop to Europa

I think dropping this rule - which they are looking at now - does set a dangerous precedent though.

Unread 22-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
Publicly embarrassed Carragher though, tbf

Unread 22-03-2023, 10:45 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I think right now you can own two teams but they can’t play in the same competition. So if we qualify for the CL, PSG will need to drop to Europa

I think dropping this rule - which they are looking at now - does set a dangerous precedent though.
Agreed. The Qataris deciding who needs to progress more if united and psg meet for example. Which increasingly, they will if the ME consortiums get their way. I can also see the prospect of some competitive matches being played over in Qatar etc.

Ah well, so many seem so keen to have the club be a puppet on a string coz mbappe might end up at united…

Unread 22-03-2023, 10:52 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Agreed. The Qataris deciding who needs to progress more if united and psg meet for example. Which increasingly, they will if the ME consortiums get their way. I can also see the prospect of some competitive matches being played over in Qatar etc.

Ah well, so many seem so keen to have the club be a puppet on a string coz mbappe might end up at united…

Grim....

But good news about the new reception area at Carrington....

The maroon carpets.....too.die.for

Unread 22-03-2023, 11:11 AM
System Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Not correct, see Redbull clubs as the perfect example.

Unread 22-03-2023, 11:18 AM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Grim....

But good news about the new reception area at Carrington....

The maroon carpets.....too.die.for
Question is what can you do? In the age of globalization the money men look far beyond M16. Most United fans are content to see the Glazers go and see what comes after that.

To sort the game out you'd really want majority control for fans, caps on wages and transfer fees to level the playing field and better distribution of TV money etc
Ain't gonna happen though. The regulators and custodians of the game wanted their percentage and were happy to see money flood in.

As with 2005, ultimately you can stop going to matches as your red line as the "not one penny" supporters did and there is always FC.

Crying ass shame that the club is in this position.

Unread 22-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Error
Perfect example? UEFA weren’t going to let them play in the same competition initially, until both clubs made lots of commercial and governance changes to convince UEFA it wasn’t shared ownership. They had to change sponsorship, remove certain people from the boards etc.

So I don’t get your point really, it just shows that you have to muddy the waters enough so it isn’t overly obvious they’re owned by the same people.

Unread 22-03-2023, 12:52 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Question is what can you do? In the age of globalization the money men look far beyond M16. Most United fans are content to see the Glazers go and see what comes after that.

To sort the game out you'd really want majority control for fans, caps on wages and transfer fees to level the playing field and better distribution of TV money etc
Ain't gonna happen though. The regulators and custodians of the game wanted their percentage and were happy to see money flood in.

As with 2005, ultimately you can stop going to matches as your red line as the "not one penny" supporters did and there is always FC.

Crying ass shame that the club is in this position.
I've been thinking/saying this for ages. The entire way the professional side of the game is regulated needs a big shake up. But, like with most things in the Western world: cash is king.

Unread 22-03-2023, 12:58 PM
System Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Perfect example? UEFA weren’t going to let them play in the same competition initially, until both clubs made lots of commercial and governance changes to convince UEFA it wasn’t shared ownership. They had to change sponsorship, remove certain people from the boards etc.

So I don’t get your point really, it just shows that you have to muddy the waters enough so it isn’t overly obvious they’re owned by the same people.
Perfect example of how it currently works.
Fairly obvious and easy to understand.

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:05 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Perfect example of how it currently works.
Fairly obvious and easy to understand.
So what you’re saying is you have to cheat the rules to be able to get away with playing two teams in the same competition. Not sure how that makes what Shenners said ‘not correct’

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:08 PM
System Error

Quote:
So what you’re saying is you have to cheat the rules to be able to get away with playing two teams in the same competition. Not sure how that makes what Shenners said ‘not correct’
Nope, you've said that.

I can't help you with your lack of understanding.
You will just need to re-read the posts until you understand.

The 'not correct' statement is correct.

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:13 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Nope, you've said that.

I can't help you with your lack of understanding.
You will just need to re-read the posts until you understand.

The 'not correct' statement is correct.
Re-read your 2 line posts?

I really think you should look into it a bit more, looks like you just have a surface knowledge of the situation and the arrangements between the two clubs. Happy reading.

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:16 PM
System Error

Quote:
Re-read your 2 line posts?

I really think you should look into it a bit more, looks like you just have a surface knowledge of the situation and the arrangements between the two clubs. Happy reading.
You're unnecessarily argumentative and incorrect.
You're dismissed

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Can't wait for the first league title under these lot, hope mbappe scores at the Qatar airways stadium....and we can finally get away from playing youth products, just fill the team with superstars...

Let them cook etc...

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:21 PM
shenwen

Quote:
No, it is correct. The teams you quote beat the rule, which doesn’t mean there is no rule. There is. See below

https://talksport.com/football/13390...psg-qatar/amp/

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Can't wait for the first league title under these lot, hope mbappe scores at the Qatar airways stadium....and we can finally get away from playing youth products, just fill the team with superstars...

Let them cook etc...
Yep, the prospect is all very salivating emoji.

The 2025 equivalent of messi, neymar and mbappe doing some kind of Harlem globetrotters tour thing sponsored by instagram in partnership with Qatar airlines. Maybe doing the photo opp in Qatari national dress? That just would be amazing to see.

We could even have a youth set up like city’s - a hoovering exercise that captures all the local youth talent - not to play in the 1st team for goodness sake - no, just so local talent can’t then play for any other teams.

Fraid it’s just the way of the world lads. There is no other way I’m afraid.

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:30 PM
believe

literally not one thing will change other than us improving in all the areas we’ve been praying we’d improve in over the last ten years.

Keith - didn’t you spend two years telling us how amazing city’s youth development was and how amazing the work city had done in the local community under Abu Dhabi?

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:33 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
literally not one thing will change other than us improving in all the areas we’ve been praying we’d improve in over the last ten years.

Keith - didn’t you spend two years telling us how amazing city’s youth development was and how amazing the work city had done in the local community under Abu Dhabi?
he’s got you there

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:36 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Let them cook etc...
So what's your alternative suggestion? Cross your fingers so that Qatar don't buy us and they buy someone else like Liverpool? Then another mega money consortium comes along and buys Arsenal? Wonderful.

We can hope that the Glazers eventually leave and we're left with what? A fan led consortium holding votes to see if we can afford to give Phil Jones another contract and a whip round to send Mike Phelan to the shop for some milk? All the while, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Newcastle, Chelsea and whoever else gets investment, can fight it out over who gets which trophy whilst belly laughing at us.

Yeah, what a time to be alive! Oh, but we'd have the moral high ground trophy every year so it wouldn't be all bad.
Closed Thread