United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:38 PM
atticusgrinch

Sack a guy who's won 8 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues for a guy who hasn't won anything and isn't even working as a manager?

Classic gav

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Sack a guy who's won 8 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues for a guy who hasn't won anything and isn't even working as a manager?

Classic gav

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Confident Gav will turn this round like Fat Goth did

He's timed his foray into bringing ExG to Fred badly by choosing the Mourinho* campaign to do it. Would have had better luck under LvG.

*Appears to be the RAWK equivalent of Benitez so far

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:46 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Hope to god Silv doesn't read gav's posts

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:46 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
So, if I understand this correctly, we're as shit as we've ever been in the last 3 years, despite having more attempts on goal, as we aren't creating the sort of chances or having the sort of efforts we should be scoring from?
£#%&!ing hell, no - the stats clearly show we have improved from last season. The reason I referred to our expected goals and the linked article is because it also shows our relatively paltry goal tally is not a freak occurrence that can be put down simply to dodgy finishing.

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Nottsred could be ginners. Gav must be a bert or a dipper.
it's a ramone rooney flounce log-in

Unread 15-05-2017, 02:07 PM
goldfinger II

Dunno if it can be called a regret if I had no control over it, but annoyed that Martial didn't play more.

I think it is completely unfair, and a bad idea, to take such a hard line with him. Especially so when you consider Pogba, a talent of a similar level who has similar flaws, has been backed to the hilt by Mourinho. He should have shown the same faith in both.

Unread 15-05-2017, 02:08 PM
gav81

Quote:

Classic gav
Have you heard of context? You wouldn't be expecting Sunderland or Ipswich to achieve the same levels of success as Porto, Chelsea, Inter or Madrid would you?

Mourinho has been very fortunate to inherit clubs on the up, who are already successful and high on confidence. He rides on the back of that, adding his own defensive tweak and it's worked, for a time. He's never inherited a situation like at United before. Past success under different circumstances means nothing - if it did then Van Gaal would still be here.

Keane is the opposite in inheriting teams on a downward trajectory. Sunderland sat bottom of the Championship having won only 5 of their previous 47 games - he instantly lifted the club, made them champions and an established Premier League team.

That, incidentally, is as much as anything Conte achieved before he went to Juventus and took them from 7th to win three titles on the bounce.

Unread 15-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Jethro

Having any form of expectations

Unread 15-05-2017, 02:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
Have you heard of context? You wouldn't be expecting Sunderland or Ipswich to achieve the same levels of success as Porto, Chelsea, Inter or Madrid would you?

Mourinho has been very fortunate to inherit clubs on the up, who are already successful and high on confidence. He rides on the back of that, adding his own defensive tweak and it's worked, for a time. He's never inherited a situation like at United before. Past success under different circumstances means nothing - if it did then Van Gaal would still be here.

Keane is the opposite in inheriting teams on a downward trajectory. Sunderland sat bottom of the Championship having won only 5 of their previous 47 games - he instantly lifted the club, made them champions and an established Premier League team.

That, incidentally, is as much as anything Conte achieved before he went to Juventus and took them from 7th to win three titles on the bounce.
And for that precise reason he should be given every opportunity to handle the situation.

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:01 PM
92ToBury

vCash all in against the verm at home

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:38 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
And for that precise reason he should be given every opportunity to handle the situation.
That makes no sense since on the same basis we could have given Moyes, Van Gaal or any manager every opportunity to handle the situation. It's not a reason for keeping a manager, it's a hope that one day it will work out. Well he's already had a year of opportunity at United and it's a long way from working out.

The only reason I said it's a different situation to anything Mourinho has come into before is because it shows his past success that was put on a plate for him means nothing at United.

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Have to agree with the Martial one. After last season I was giddy about him and Rashford, but he's fallen off a cliff.

Now we're impressed if he has a couple of decent runs during a game

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:31 PM
wee man

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell, no - the stats clearly show we have improved from last season. The reason I referred to our expected goals and the linked article is because it also shows our relatively paltry goal tally is not a freak occurrence that can be put down simply to dodgy finishing.
Next stop will be our our own version of the PAR LEAGUE - and the circle will have fully turned.

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:38 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Betting on United to win at Old Trafford.
This. I've lost and missed out on so much £££.

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:44 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Have to agree with the Martial one. After last season I was giddy about him and Rashford, but he's fallen off a cliff.
Pushed, I suspect, with Mourinho's fingerprints all over the body.

Unread 15-05-2017, 09:20 PM
LFOD

Lack of the finishing touch.

Unread 16-05-2017, 01:35 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Pushed, I suspect, with Mourinho's fingerprints all over the body.
Interesting shout, Gav.

Tbh Martial and Mkhi don't look to have really benefited from Mou's approach to man management, but top players rise above it. It's why I still don't see Hazard as being at the elite level yet. He phoned it in for a season because he saw his arse over the manager. The best players don't drop their standards because they've got a strop on. Bad sign for Martial, as I hoped he was the real deal.

Unread 16-05-2017, 09:06 AM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Interesting shout, Gav.

Tbh Martial and Mkhi don't look to have really benefited from Mou's approach to man management, but top players rise above it. It's why I still don't see Hazard as being at the elite level yet. He phoned it in for a season because he saw his arse over the manager. The best players don't drop their standards because they've got a strop on. Bad sign for Martial, as I hoped he was the real deal.
It's not repeatedly calling out the players in public that's the worst of it. It's Mourinho's defence-minded tactics that destroy players like Martial and Mkhi.

In Mourinho's 4231 system, the two wide players in the 3 are expected to track back to support the full backs and often join the defence to make a line of six across the back. It doesn't allow those players to show their best in attack.

Look at Mourinho's last three players on the left of the 3: Ronaldo, Hazard and Martial. The first had a stand up row and nearly came to blows with Mourinho after he ignored instructions to track back more. The second downed tools after Mourinho dropped him from the team to provide more defensive stability. The third has understandably regressed from his goalscoring form of last season.

It is Mourinho's defence first tactics that fail to get the most from these free spirited, world class attacking talents. It's a shame because it's these type of players that United are famed for. Not even Giggs would have been the player he was in Mourinho's defensive system.

Against the traditions of the club, Mourinho has our attack firmly on a leash - that is never our way and a sad reflection of what Manchester United were about.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:45 AM
jem

Quote:
It's not repeatedly calling out the players in public that's the worst of it. It's Mourinho's defence-minded tactics that destroy players like Martial and Mkhi.

In Mourinho's 4231 system, the two wide players in the 3 are expected to track back to support the full backs and often join the defence to make a line of six across the back. It doesn't allow those players to show their best in attack.

Look at Mourinho's last three players on the left of the 3: Ronaldo, Hazard and Martial. The first had a stand up row and nearly came to blows with Mourinho after he ignored instructions to track back more. The second downed tools after Mourinho dropped him from the team to provide more defensive stability. The third has understandably regressed from his goalscoring form of last season.

It is Mourinho's defence first tactics that fail to get the most from these free spirited, world class attacking talents. It's a shame because it's these type of players that United are famed for. Not even Giggs would have been the player he was in Mourinho's defensive system.

Against the traditions of the club, Mourinho has our attack firmly on a leash - that is never our way and a sad reflection of what Manchester United were about.
pish. mourinho will learn from this and everything will be fine once he buys 8 world class players. unless, by fine, you mean classy and interesting. pride is a sin anyways.
Closed Thread