United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2017, 10:54 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
I might be a c*** but at least I'm honest about our problems. And you don't seem to appreciate that I'm already right - the negativity, lack of goals and poor season have happened.

Mourinho's negative approach goes far beyond a bit of dodgy finishing. Don't forget we've also scored some from positions where we perhaps wouldn't be expected to which balances it out to an extent - Rooney's equaliser at Stoke for one example. If we look at our expected goals based on the quality of shots we've taken then we're only 4 goals worse off than we should be, which wouldn't change a whole lot. I can link to the stats if you like.

The season didn't have to be like this, we didn't have to hire a two time Chelsea reject, known throughout his career for anti-football, whose past success has come off the back of teams already on an upward trajectory and high on confidence. That's not what United need, not this season or ever.

What we need is a manager to come in and send shockwaves through the club, raise expectations, immediately give the players belief and lift their game, restore the blood and guts, relentless, take the game to the opponent, have a go, exciting, attacking, Manchester United that we were under Ferguson.

Instead we waste the attacking players' talents in a quest to be Chelsea 2.0. I find that difficult to accept.
You £#%&!ing what?

Unread 15-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You £#%&!ing what?

I think he's about to link to the stats though so lets stay tuned

Unread 15-05-2017, 11:01 AM
armchair

the expected goal and shot quality stats

Unread 15-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Sapien

Gav does make some reasonable points to be fair.

His logic as set out below seems robust and hard to challenge. I just need to figure out what #2 is.

1. We as a club have a number of identifiable problems that need to be solved
2. ?????
3. We must therefore hire Roy Keane as manager

Unread 15-05-2017, 12:55 PM
gav81

Quote:
You £#%&!ing what?
Opta expected goals explained:
http://www.optasportspro.com/about/o.../mbuBlogsyPost

This article has a table with our expected goals per game average as at 24 Apr 17:
http://statsbomb.com/2017/04/the-tab...hester-united/

Whilst it's no surprise the data shows we have improved in both an attacking and defensive sense from last season, the conclusion is that we still need to create better goalscoring opportunities.

What I was referring to in my last post is our expected goals per game stat of 1.56 based on the quality of our goalscoring opportunities. If we multiply that by our 36 games it gives an expected return of 56 goals. In reality we have scored 52 goals, which isn't far behind the expected return, again given the quality of our goalscoring opportunities.

In all this means our poor season cannot be put down to dodgy finishing. Yes, we all know there has been some dodgy finishing, but it doesn't explain why we have scored a whopping 20+ goals less than all of Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea, or United teams of the past.

No, it's down to the fact that our chance creation throughout the season has not been good enough.

Unread 15-05-2017, 12:55 PM
20 times

Gav81

Unread 15-05-2017, 12:57 PM
sweetleftfoot

Man like Gav

Unread 15-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

This article has a table with our expected goals per game average as at 24 Apr 17:

Whilst it's no surprise the data shows we have improved in both an attacking and defensive sense from last season, the conclusion is that we still need to create better goalscoring opportunities.

What I was referring to in my last post is our expected goals per game stat of 1.56 based on the quality of our goalscoring opportunities. If we multiply that by our 36 games it gives an expected return of 56 goals. In reality we have scored 52 goals, which isn't far behind the expected return, again given the quality of our goalscoring opportunities.

In all this means our poor season cannot be put down to dodgy finishing. Yes, we all know there has been some dodgy finishing, but it doesn't explain why we have scored a whopping 20+ goals less than all of Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea, or United teams of the past.

No, it's down to the fact that our chance creation throughout the season has not been good enough.
Close your laptop
Go and kiss a girl..

Unread 15-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien

His logic as set out below seems robust and hard to challenge. I just need to figure out what #2 is.

2. ?????
4. Profit

Unread 15-05-2017, 12:59 PM
gav81

Quote:

2. ?????
2. Keane would resolve those identifiable problems, namely in returning our attacking football, high standards, youth development and returning Manchester United to something like we were under Ferguson.

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:00 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Gav81
Gavthespaz

SpazzyGav

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:07 PM
dragflick

Quote:

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

it's a bold move from gav81 imo

not even i would have gone for the expected goals per shot averages

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Arnold Muhren

Opta
Data
Expected return

Between this guy and NottsRed we've a couple of great new wums. We taking bets on who's behind them yet?

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Sapien

Can't really argue with that tbf

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:30 PM
dunk

So, if I understand this correctly, we're as shit as we've ever been in the last 3 years, despite having more attempts on goal, as we aren't creating the sort of chances or having the sort of efforts we should be scoring from?

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Sapien

Thumbs up

Quote:
So, if I understand this correctly, we're as shit as we've ever been in the last 3 years, despite having more attempts on goal, as we aren't creating the sort of chances or having the sort of efforts we should be scoring from?
In a nutshell yes. And Roy Keane would fix this were he manager.

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Can't really argue with that tbf
from 'Norman Whiteside has done it again!'

To that.

Kill me.

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:33 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
Opta
Data
Expected return

Between this guy and NottsRed we've a couple of great new wums. We taking bets on who's behind them yet?
Nottsred could be ginners. Gav must be a bert or a dipper.

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
In a nutshell yes. And Roy Keane would fix this were he manager.
Famed goal scorer, creator of chances and, as a manager, producer of teams playing fast flowing attackingly adept and efficient football and most importantly of all, successful, Roy Keane? That Roy Keane? It's a bold suggestion coming waay out of left field tbf, can't believe it has never even been broached as a possibility before tbh. Does anybody have any statistics to back up Roy's imperious managerial record or maybe even some quotes from esteemed footballing figures or previous employees to back up his claim for such a prestigious position?
Closed Thread