Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
They really don’t.
No, they really do mate.

The overwhelming majority of teens and people in their early 20s are on Instagram. Once they're on there, They're usually posting trivial, banal or cringeworthy shit.

Players from other teams, including teams much better than us, all have Instagram accounts too.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:03 PM
utd99

Quote:
They really don’t.
Even Rashford looks embarrassed by it all. What a shame these are his peers.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
No it's not, any more than criticising a person who happens to be black proves racism or criticising a woman proves sexism, though I understand why it makes great copy for those looking to score points off of a gross misrepresentation.
Lingard has five million followers on Instagram. I'm going out on a limb and suggesting most of them are young people who don't get wound up by him wearing glasses and having a dance.

utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
No, they really do mate.

The overwhelming majority of teens and people in their early 20s are on Instagram. Once they're on there, They're usually posting trivial, banal or cringeworthy shit.

Players from other teams, including teams much better than us, all have Instagram accounts too.
Having an instagram account and posting every now and then is not the same as doing what Pogba and Lingard do.

AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Lingard has five million followers on Instagram. I'm going out on a limb and suggesting most of them are young people who don't get wound up by him wearing glasses and having a dance.
Bet they all use boomerang too

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:06 PM
utd99

Quote:
Or have ever seen us win a league.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
The wider point is it's a bit £#%&!ing rich of the likes of Neville and Keane to judge a medium they don't really understand simply because it wasn't around when they were.... But they're too short-sighted to see that other versions of it did and they willingly took part in it.
They weren’t criticising the medium, and Neville wasn’t even criticising the clothes launch. That’s not what the critiscim was about.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Then it isn’t similar.

That’s controlled by the club, not at the players’ discretion.
Why is that better? I thought Keane said that sort of thing wouldn't be tolerated by the club?

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Keano being hugely professional before a cup final
I suppose it was better than launching his own clothing range and wishing happy birthday to a player on social media

https://www.theguardian.com/football...wsstory.sport4
For one thing, it was during celebrations for winning a title. So I assume a free day.

Do you know what the response was from his manager and the rest of the dressing room?

Quote:
No he doesn't. He needs to take his training and his preparation seriously and work hard. The rest isn't really your business.
It kinda is once it’s made public.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
They weren’t criticising the medium, and Neville wasn’t even criticising the clothes launch. That’s not what the critiscim was about.
Wasn't it?

Keane said: “If that was a good, strong dressing room that wouldn’t be tolerated. That’s why I worry about the United dressing room.

“For a young player, still learning his trade, he could be the nicest kid in the world, I don’t know him. But you’re coming out with all that nonsense"

All what nonsense?... seems like he's referring to the clothes range there, Jammy.

“I think football should be your number one priority. People say you should have other stuff outside of football but I don’t think you should."

So nothing like Bryan Robson being on jossy's giants. Ryan Giggs doing Reebok adverts or Andy Cole releasing a single?

“Don’t hide behind your cars or tattoos or girlfriends, you can do that when you retire!”

Don't even know what this means tbh. Do players 'hide behind these things". Did players in his day walk to work and stay abstinent?

I love Neville and Keane, but their criticism yesterday smacked of outdated "back in my day" talk.

If you don't think they're up for it or aren't working hard enough, then that's another story.... but attempting to link it with a lack of priorities based on social media exposure - which an overwhelming majority of their age group are on - is spurious at best.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Wasn't it?

Keane said: “If that was a good, strong dressing room that wouldn’t be tolerated. That’s why I worry about the United dressing room.

“For a young player, still learning his trade, he could be the nicest kid in the world, I don’t know him. But you’re coming out with all that nonsense"

All what nonsense?... seems like he's referring to the clothes range there, Jammy.

“I think football should be your number one priority. People say you should have other stuff outside of football but I don’t think you should."

So nothing like Bryan Robson being on jossy's giants. Ryan Giggs doing Reebok adverts or Andy Cole releasing a single?

“Don’t hide behind your cars or tattoos or girlfriends, you can do that when you retire!”

Don't even know what this means tbh. Do players 'hide behind these things". Did players in his day walk to work and stay abstinent?

I love Neville and Keane, but their criticism yesterday smacked of outdated "back in my day" talk.
Maybe because "back in their day" we were actually good.

I don't know how many other ways it needs to be said.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Where have I said it’s a matter for mou? It’s how it plays out with fans, the media etc.
When the goalposts get moved it means you made a good point that had no reply.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Maybe because "back in their day" we were actually good.

I don't know how many other ways it needs to be said.
That is not the point at all and this has been explained elsewhere.

Clubs, players of all shapes and sizes have Instagram accounts where they are highly active.

Should we tell them to shut it down until they're good?

It's irritating, sure. I cringe when I see it. But I'm not a 20 something million and I'm not their target audience.

The fact that everybody (well, overwhelming majority) have it only goes to show it has no bearing on what's happening on the pitch.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Please explain how the the decreased level of exposure negates it as a comparison.

Keane said yesterday that players should focus 100% on football and that it wouldn't be tolerated in his day, I and many others, have provided instances where many of his team mates didn't.
And Neville laughed because it revealed keane’s character. He didn’t say it wouldn’t be tolerated in his day.

As I said in the post you quoted. Players doing shit outside football isn’t a new thing. It isn’t a generational thing. There’s a right way and a wrong way to do it, and going so far you take your eye off the ball can happen to anyone including Fergie.

What is new is accepting it as the norm and indulging it when it does go too far. Same with acting billy big time before you’ve earnt it on the pitch. These things should never be accepted as just what the youth of today do. It’s what the youth of every generation have been capable of doing, and today’s youth shouldn’t be given a pass when they do it.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:30 PM
no fun

Giggs and lee sharpe were 19/20 when they were acting and dressing like @#%&!s

Goblin face and pogba are 26....they should be wearing M&S cardigans and listening to the Archers by now

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:30 PM
utd99

Quote:
That is not the point at all and this has been explained elsewhere.

Clubs, players of all shapes and sizes have Instagram accounts where they are highly active.

Should we tell them to shut it down until they're good?

It's irritating, sure. I cringe when I see it. But I'm not a 20 something million and I'm not their target audience.

The fact that everybody (well, overwhelming majority) have it only goes to show it has no bearing on what's happening on the pitch.
Mate, why do you insist on making this a social media thing when it's not? It could be a black and white £#%&!ing polaroid and the point would still be the point. Neither is it a generational thing, a clothes thing or new dance moves we don't understand; it's an ethic thing, and ethics are timeless.

Simply put, supporters are having to go through a fair bit of misery right now, watching our team become the laughing stock of English football; but that's ok because hopefully everything is cyclical. However, while I don't claim to speak for every supporter, I'm pretty sure it's not asking too much to expect our players to be aware of where we're at and not take to public viewing every five minutes acting like they don't give a £#%&! and that their brand and followers are more important than the club they represent or the millions they're paid to represent it.

That's all.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
And Neville laughed because it revealed keane’s character. He didn’t say it wouldn’t be tolerated in his day.

As I said in the post you quoted. Players doing shit outside football isn’t a new thing. It isn’t a generational thing. There’s a right way and a wrong way to do it, and going so far you take your eye off the ball can happen to anyone including Fergie.

What is new is accepting it as the norm and indulging it when it does go too far. Same with acting billy big time before you’ve earnt it on the pitch. These things should never be accepted as just what the youth of today do. It’s what the youth of every generation have been capable of doing, and today’s youth shouldn’t be given a pass when they do it.
He said "If if was a good strong dressing room, that wouldn't be tolerated". I think it's safe to assume he remembers the dressing room in his day being a strong one.

I don't disagree with the notion that we shouldn't accepting or indulging shortcomings.... but I think we're a way off on agreeing on the severity and impact of the behaviour.

You say they shouldn't get pass when they do it.

I'd say 'it' just isn't a big deal at all and there's no pass that needs to be granted.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
No, they really do mate.

Then that’s not ‘every single one’. And last I looked they’re not all highly paid professionals representing a professional organisation followed by millions.

Everyone else does it didn’t used to wash as an excuse.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:36 PM
utd99

Quote:
He said "If if was a good strong dressing room, that wouldn't be tolerated". I think it's safe to assume he remembers the dressing room in his day being a strong one.

I don't disagree with the notion that we shouldn't accepting or indulging shortcomings.... but I think we're a way off on agreeing on the severity and impact of the behaviour.

You say they shouldn't get pass when they do it.

I'd say 'it' just isn't a big deal at all and there's no pass that needs to be granted.
Presumably Richardson turning up in a Rolls Royce wouldn't have affected his ability to perform either; but players giving it the big 'un before they've done anything of note has always been frowned on by the most successful dressing rooms. Again, timeless.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Why is that better?
Because the club control it and the players are employees and representatives of the club. All this Twitter shit is, after all, promotional.

Quote:
I thought Keane said that sort of thing wouldn't be tolerated by the club?
Not that I’m aware of. He said it wouldn’t be tolerated by a strong dressing room. And it’s more about the way it’s done and the timing, which is Neville’s main criticism. Such things, when taken in context of their performances, can reveal where their focus is at. Players can have off field activities, and players can have off field activities which cause them to take their eye off the ball and affect performance. That’s not new. Indeed, it’s even affected one of our greatest managers according to his boss.

If a player is delivering then it can’t be argued their eye is off the ball. It can be argued they have a balance which allows them to still focus on their game. If a player isn’t performing, they have no defence.

If Neville is making the criticism, you can be sure he has some inside info on the matter.
Closed Thread