United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Wrestling
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Switching Off

Exclamation New TV deals

Staggering sums
Quote:
News broke on May 21st that WWE and Fox had agreed to a deal to bring SmackDown to Fox's main broadcast channel starting in the fall of 2019. That's worth $205 million annually and is also for five years. SmackDown will be moving back to Friday nights on Fox, and the Hollywood Reporter refers to it as a live show.

In total, the two agreements, which will both go into effect in October 2019, are worth $2.35 billion over five years. That far exceeds the $240-300 million per year that most analysts were expecting WWE to get for their combined TV package.
Think it has a lot to do with the TV companies valuing live "sport" as its DVR proof, even so, these are phenomenal figures. They could stop running house shows and PPVs for the next 5 years and be the most profitable they've ever been.

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:20 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Staggering sums

Think it has a lot to do with the TV companies valuing live "sport" as its DVR proof, even so, these are phenomenal figures. They could stop running house shows and PPVs for the next 5 years and be the most profitable they've ever been.
I almost bought WWE shares at USD13

I think we could be on the verge of another boom - they need to make one show edgier if they can.

Who do you see as the top guys? Could Seth make it? The Miz? Bryan?

Did you see that Rupert Murdoch himself was in the meeting with Triple H and Stephanie

Apparently he said that NBC treated sports entertainment as a joke whereas Fox would respect it.

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Jethro

Spark has gone. I've totally lost interest post Mania

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Switching Off

Jez, like Jethro says the spark has gone. Sitting through 3 hour Raws is such a chore I just don't bother anymore.

And worse, with these deals, they don't really need to improve the quality; they're swimming in cash and dont need to ask anybody to take risks or do something edgy that might piss off sponsors.

It's completely tepid nowadays and that seems to be what the networks want. No more boom periods every few years. Just a cast of interchangeable characters and 50/50 booking is enough to keep a conveyor belt of kids interested until they hit 14.

And all those working every night don't even benefit at Wrestlemania anymore because that's when all the part timers come back and go over the regular guys.

It's ironic that they making more than ever when the product sucks more than ever.

But hey, we got the Network which is awesome

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Jez, like Jethro says the spark has gone. Sitting through 3 hour Raws is such a chore I just don't bother anymore.

And worse, with these deals, they don't really need to improve the quality; they're swimming in cash and dont need to ask anybody to take risks or do something edgy that might piss off sponsors.

It's completely tepid nowadays and that seems to be what the networks want. No more boom periods every few years. Just a cast of interchangeable characters and 50/50 booking is enough to keep a conveyor belt of kids interested until they hit 14.

And all those working every night don't even benefit at Wrestlemania anymore because that's when all the part timers come back and go over the regular guys.

It's ironic that they making more than ever when the product sucks more than ever.

But hey, we got the Network which is awesome
It was my last trip to Progress that did it too. Just felt like I didn't belong at all. Indie crowds are pure aids.

Yeah, going through old NJPW matches and the territories is filling the void.

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
It was my last trip to Progress that did it too. Just felt like I didn't belong at all. Indie crowds are pure aids.

Yeah, going through old NJPW matches and the territories is filling the void.
Were you wearing double white denim?

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Were you wearing double white denim?
Woah lad, I don't fuck with white denim. Double blue or black all day

Unread 31-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Woah lad, I don't fuck with white denim. Double blue or black all day

Sure you had white when I saw you at the Ritz

Unread 31-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Jethro

Quote:

Sure you had white when I saw you at the Ritz
Absolutely no chance. Believe it or not I can remember that weekend well

Unread 31-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Absolutely no chance. Believe it or not I can remember that weekend well
I can't even remember if it was that Sabu thing or a gig. I remember seeing you stumbling down the stairs though
Closed Thread