United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-08-2023, 11:23 PM
Fat Al

Others have & will state it far more eloquently than I can.

It’s not the game I fell in love with. It’s not the United I fell in love with.

But I’ll always love United. I cannot fathom a world in which they don’t exist. Nor I don’t support them

Unread 23-08-2023, 11:36 PM
armchair

It's the best sport. I tend to only watch high level football and United these days. Unfortunately United haven't been at the highest level for years. I still love big matches between big teams when there's something on the line but I'm not going to watch most games any more.

Unread 23-08-2023, 11:51 PM
Denis Irwell

Still in love with footie?

No. Nearly every aspect of the game is too far gone.

Still in love with United. Must be if I’m still getting up in the middle of the £#%&!ing night to watch them now I live on the other side of the world. That’s not a choice. Will never stop after 60+ years watching home and away, through Munich aftermath, rebirth under Law, Best & Charlton etc, EC68, relegation, 2nd division, unforgettable away days with 30,000 other reds every week before sanitation of the game and Ferie’s trophies. Dad, uncles cousins,brothers, sister,cousins, now my own lads, mates, whole family Reds and always will be. Salfordians don’t turn. Still meet mates over here for beers & cheers.

Get rid of these disgusting leeches that have been allowed to bleed the club and we’ll be right.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:26 AM
Sparky***

I’ll always have a bit of that little kid in me that was taken by my first sight of the pitch at old Trafford. I’ll never stop caring about United they’ve been such a constant through my life and given me some of the best memories ever.

But as for wider football I don’t think there’s been a time in my life where I’ve cared less about it. Back in the 80s/90s I could tell you everything about every team we played, I used to watch any game on telly I could. Was obsessed with it. Now I don’t think i could name 4 players who started for spurs against us on Saturday. I just don’t care that much any more. It’s just not the same game I grew up with.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:37 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Back in the 80s/90s I could tell you everything about... It’s just not the same game I grew up with.
Of course back in the 90s a lot of reds obsessed with utd in 50s/60s/70s would say the same thing about the 90s - no pay on gate, Sunday /Monday kick offs, dancing girls, squad numbers, all seaters etc etc

The best World Cup is your first world cup and the best era of loving football is your first era. Everything you become familiar with fades feelings but can still be massively important,( how did we feel when it closed down in covid and preseasons...) And they seem distant rn but the intermittent three or four times a season proper goons make it all make sense

Unread 24-08-2023, 02:00 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Back in the 80s/90s I could tell you everything about every team we played, I used to watch any game on telly I could. Was obsessed with it. Now I don’t think i could name 4 players who started for spurs against us on Saturday.
This couldn't be truer for me. I was on top of every transfer back in the day yet didn't know Harvey Barnes signed for Newcastle until I watched their opening day highlights.

Sour grapes too maybe but City have sterilised everything hugely. A bunch of dull blue robots champions of Europe.

Unread 24-08-2023, 02:01 AM
Chris Quayd

The sport is a wonder of the world, the industry is grotesque. It's not for nothing that most countries consider it a national sport and there isn't a single activity that unites so many people from so many different social groupings, different cultures all able to contribute to the global game.

I still love playing it, dads 9aside where a load of middle age blokes still pretend to be their younger selves and imititate those players that they first worshipped when they fell in love with the game. As for United, they are still capable of stirring feelings that nothing else can albeit with less frequency than they used to. I've been reading an increasing amount of books from our history and I don't think there is a club on the planet with the cultural impact that we have had, particularly in terms of reach of fanatical fanbase.

Modern life is shit and it follows that modern football is too but as my sig says, nothing can taint this beautiful game.

Unread 24-08-2023, 04:13 AM
believe

Quote:
I’ll always have a bit of that little kid in me that was taken by my first sight of the pitch at old Trafford. I’ll never stop caring about United they’ve been such a constant through my life and given me some of the best memories ever.

But as for wider football I don’t think there’s been a time in my life where I’ve cared less about it. Back in the 80s/90s I could tell you everything about every team we played, I used to watch any game on telly I could. Was obsessed with it. Now I don’t think i could name 4 players who started for spurs against us on Saturday. I just don’t care that much any more. It’s just not the same game I grew up with.
Every word of this. Met a mate while I was home who was part of the four people I went to the game with week in week out and we were basically discussing the point of this thread and started reminiscing. Actually got quite emotional in the end knowing that we loved it so much and had so much fun doing it and really couldn’t couldn’t care less about it either way now.

Love United and always will but I honestly don’t get how people who’ve watched football for the last 20+ years can sit and watch another two teams play. Everything about the game is just vile now from the clubs, players, fans and it’s heading to an even worse place. I’d say it’s got 20 years max before it’s gone properly and a European or even world super league is happening.

That’s why I don’t give a £#%&! who owns us apart from just hoping it’s someone who ploughs whatever it takes in to making us successful because if I’m only watching one team for then next 20 years before it all implodes I’d sooner do it while they’re winning every trophy possible.

Unread 24-08-2023, 05:42 AM
Patty_b

Love the sport, always have. First love was United, my earliest memories all involve United and my old man. I remember going to games with him as a kid, getting my first kit which I never took off and still wearing it after the string tie had been lost and half of the Sharp logo had fallen off after constant washes. One of the most amazing things I'd ever seen as a kid was a birthday cake he got in the shape of the United kit at the time. Blew my £#%&!ing mind. Our cat was called mufcy and all I watched was the season reviews he had on VHS. Over and over and over again. I'd then go into the garden and practice dribbling like Giggs and Kanchelskis, volleying like Mark Hughes, crossing like Beckham and kicking racists like Cantona. We're a United family, two seats at the ground bear our family name.

But top flight football nowadays, I couldn't give two £#%&!s about in all honesty unless Utd are involved, and even then the amount of £#%&!s seems to be decreasing on a yearly basis. The old man started to slowly transition to watching Chorley more than United about a decade ago. We've always supported our local team, him since he was a boy, and then he took me when I was a lad, but it is as never a priority, and it didn't really mean anything other than local support and a bit of football. I didn't get why he wasn't as bothered about United at first, but as every year it makes more sense.

I really £#%&!ing hate to say it, but I get a bigger buzz going to watch Chorley than I do watching United. I don't want to, but I just do. Maybe it's just more relatable. A bunch of lads that work full time also playing football and putting their bodies on the line twice a week representing your town, compared to the absolute £#%&!ing absurd money and treatment top flight football stars have, the reality TV style manufactured coverage and social media bullshit that surrounds it, and the rules and financial bullshit that has repercussions down the pyramid that noone gives a £#%&! about, and some want to make worse for their own personal ego.

The reason I hate top flight football now is only because I love the sport as much as I do.

Unread 24-08-2023, 05:58 AM
magic_cantona

United still have the ability to depress me more than anything and to make me giddy as £#%&!, more than anything else. The Glazers have absolutely taken their toll though. It's a horrible, awful time.

Can't actually afford games anymore but won't miss a minute on TV. This season is already depressing me but more to do with football as a whole - Glazers, City blatantly cheating and nothing being done, the cheating on the pitch, shit referees and VAR, terrible and really unlikeable pundits who are treated like demi God's etc.

However much the situation worsens, it'll be all the more sweeter when the take over is done. New chapter then.

In saying all that, I'm pretty certain that I'll never see anything like peak Ferguson United again. But, I was there for it. Lots aren't as lucky.

Unread 24-08-2023, 06:57 AM
shenwen

The sport - of course. It's a huge part of my life. Both my lads play - one at a relatively high level - and are much more into it than I ever was on and off the field (esp with fantasy football and all that). Came across an old video of me and one of the kids watching a united game together 8 years ago when he was 4. Great shared moment.

At the top level though it's harder to care with all the money and politics. It's not simply that its changes, evolved whatever - it's that it's become crass and unbalanced. The latest Saudi involvement a prime example, but it's also UEFA and FIFA. The money chasing is way over the top now.

I've also got used to us not winning, which is not great but means for less stress and post game anger.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:41 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

This.

I could tell you any result and scorer from our team in the whole of the 90s. Those games, kits, moments are absolutely burned into my memory.

Then I’ll have absolutely no recollection of Morgan Schneiderlen playing for us for a whole year.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:54 AM
redhegemony

United yes, general football not so, watching the scousers fail of course.

Unread 24-08-2023, 10:50 AM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Love the sport, always have. First love was United, my earliest memories all involve United and my old man. I remember going to games with him as a kid, getting my first kit which I never took off and still wearing it after the string tie had been lost and half of the Sharp logo had fallen off after constant washes. One of the most amazing things I'd ever seen as a kid was a birthday cake he got in the shape of the United kit at the time. Blew my £#%&!ing mind. Our cat was called mufcy and all I watched was the season reviews he had on VHS. Over and over and over again. I'd then go into the garden and practice dribbling like Giggs and Kanchelskis, volleying like Mark Hughes, crossing like Beckham and kicking racists like Cantona. We're a United family, two seats at the ground bear our family name.
apart from having my mind blown by a cake, can very much relate to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
This.

I could tell you any result and scorer from our team in the whole of the 90s. Those games, kits, moments are absolutely burned into my memory.

Then I’ll have absolutely no recollection of Morgan Schneiderlen playing for us for a whole year.
and this, still got all my utd vhss in a box (champions, champions 2 etc), know every goal and every word. early 90s was also the time i first started going to ot as a kid. as a few have said, we couldn't have grown up in a better time.

i think naturally as you age, your passion and emotions are going to level off a little bit, especially with, again as others have mentioned, the money, cheating, glazers, the fact we're shit.

what has been interesting for me recently is that throughout the whole glazer shitshow i have still supported utd hoping we can still do well in spite of those @#%&!s. what has surprised me this week though is how the reaction to dumping greenwood has made me feel about utd, abandoning a kid who has played for us since he was 7 and doing so in the most spineless incompetent way. it has a final straw feeling for me knowing i almost definitely won't get to watch the best young player we've produced in my life time for the next decade. tragic imo and time will tell if i can let it go.

Unread 24-08-2023, 10:53 AM
dunk

Think you should be blaming Greenwood for that pal, not the club.

Unread 24-08-2023, 10:54 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
time will tell if i can let it go.
You're certianly not letting go

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Rorschach

No.

Modern top level football is full of entitled, cheating #@&%!s earning ridiculous money and represented by scum.

Players spend 90(+) minutes trying to deceive the referee for every single decision and we end up with the worst non-solution ever: VAR, which sucks they joy out of the game.

We have nation states buying clubs and setting up leagues and ruining the last pretence of competition. The upshot is nobody cares what city win or that PSG have won their Nth ligue A in a row. Big whoop.

United are owned by the biggest bunch of @#%&!s, who stole the club in a manner that has *finally* been outlawed. Our decline under their stewardship and that of their appointees is undeniable - even to the most ardent "wait-n-see" advocates.

I jacked my ST in 6 years ago and really don't miss it. But my love for United is eternal. It's part of who I am. The club isn't the owners, the manager, the players or the stadium - it's the fans. Particularly those who still get off their arse and attend matches. I love still being part of that. I made some of my best friends and enjoyed ridiculous misadventures following United.

But apart from 2 or 3 trips to OT a season, when the KO times suit me and not some @#%&! in Malaysia, I mostly attend games watching Macc and Irlam. I might give Bury a look this season.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:10 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
No.

Modern top level football is full of entitled, cheating #@&%!s earning ridiculous money and represented by scum.

Players spend 90(+) minutes trying to deceive the referee for every single decision and we end up with the worst non-solution ever: VAR, which sucks they joy out of the game.

We have nation states buying clubs and setting up leagues and ruining the last pretence of competition. The upshot is nobody cares what city win or that PSG have won their Nth ligue A in a row. Big whoop.

United are owned by the biggest bunch of @#%&!s, who stole the club in a manner that has *finally* been outlawed. Our decline under their stewardship and that of their appointees is undeniable - even to the most ardent "wait-n-see" advocates.

I jacked my ST in 6 years ago and really don't miss it. But my love for United is eternal. It's part of who I am. The club isn't the owners, the manager, the players or the stadium - it's the fans. Particularly those who still get off their arse and attend matches. I love still being part of that. I made some of my best friends and enjoyed ridiculous misadventures following United.
Absolutely this. Great post.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:17 AM
suedeshoes

This thread says more about the demographic of this forum than it does about the game.

"In my day..."

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:23 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
This thread says more about the demographic of this forum than it does about the game.

"In my day..."
I’ve actually been thinking about that this morning. I reckon some of our dads/grandads said the same thing when the PL started and I imagine theirs millions of kids that absolutely love everything about the game now and could tell us every player in the French league.
Closed Thread