Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Ooof.

Not bad on the pitch either.

https://twitter.com/DataMB_/status/1...448453632?s=20
His off actions aren't great, I'm out.

Unread 13-07-2023, 08:30 AM
RedNick80

He can smoulder all he wants but how does he get to 30 and be this good without being snapped up by at least a Watford/Brighton/West Ham etc..? I remain underwhelmed..

Unread 13-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Ethers

He’s being playing in the Champions League with Porto for the last 4 years, bit of a step down to go to Watford ffs.

Unread 13-07-2023, 08:37 AM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
About time we had a sexy bastard in the team again.
Not sure I can play more than 20-25 games a season but I’ll give it a go

Unread 13-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Think he played against wales at the WC and looked decent?

This guy and the Atalanta kid sounds good business and then all in for Kane on a free next summer.
What makes you think we’re getting the Atalanta kid as well?

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:01 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
What makes you think we’re getting the Atalanta kid as well?
Hope more than anything.

Just read that this bloke is 31 in a few days time?

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:04 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Hope more than anything.

Just read that this bloke is 31 in a few days time?
It's mad when you look at Zlatan, how 'old' we think 31 is. I suppose it just shows that Giggs, Modric, Ronnie, Messi and Zlat are anomalies. Cavani could be added to that too tbf.

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:05 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
He’s being playing in the Champions League with Porto for the last 4 years, bit of a step down to go to Watford ffs.

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:09 AM
shenwen

A stop gap to what? Another stop gap?

His stats are okay, good balance of goals and assist. but still reeks of bargain basement buy. Was hoping we'd get pst that this season.

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:15 AM
pedr0

assuming it's him + hojlund, and martial out the door....I'd be pretty happy.

but I predict by the end of the season, rashford will be starting most games at CF to accommodate garnacho on the left

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:16 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
A stop gap to what? Another stop gap?

His stats are okay, good balance of goals and assist. but still reeks of bargain basement buy. Was hoping we'd get pst that this season.
I was hoping we’d have sold the club. As soon as this sale got spun out, that killed any hope of a Kane or Osimhen type

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Baron

Quote:
Tragic that a goal that good was scored in an empty stadium, can you imagine the noise that would have generated

This guy as a back-up is perfectly acceptable - proven CL scorer, would obviously absolutely pull his own #@&%! off to play for us & you get to tear up the Iranian market for shirts (anyone want to dog whistle the human rights record angle here?)

So long as we are getting someone like Højlund in also it's an important area to add quality & experience to.

Unread 13-07-2023, 09:54 AM
Ethers

Exactly.

Not really sure why people keep calling it a stop-gap, unless they think we’re waiting until Kane for free next year (which I can’t see if we’re getting Hojlund)

He would just be an experienced second striker, because you’re not going to expect Hojlund to play the majority of games at 20 years old in a new league.

I think it would be a very good bit of business. If we’re accepting Kane isn’t coming, then I’m not sure what experienced and proven strikers are out there that we can realistically get? Most of them that we’ve been linked to are very young. I think Ollie Watkins is the only other one over about 24. Would much rather this guy than spending £70m on Watkins thanks .

Unread 13-07-2023, 10:11 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Exactly.

Not really sure why people keep calling it a stop-gap, unless they think we’re waiting until Kane for free next year (which I can’t see if we’re getting Hojlund)

He would just be an experienced second striker, because you’re not going to expect Hojlund to play the majority of games at 20 years old in a new league.

I think it would be a very good bit of business. If we’re accepting Kane isn’t coming, then I’m not sure what experienced and proven strikers are out there that we can realistically get? Most of them that we’ve been linked to are very young. I think Ollie Watkins is the only other one over about 24. Would much rather this guy than spending £70m on Watkins thanks .
I'm not calling it a stop gap. I'm questioning why others are justifying it by calling it a stop gap

It'd be great business if were Brighton playing in the Europa championship or whatever it is. But can't see the optimism for buying a 31 year old with decent stats in a weak league. The only positive I can see is that Martial will be binned.

More than happy to be proved wrong though. Trust in ETH.

Unread 13-07-2023, 10:16 AM
pedr0

personally I think we should be identifying a centre forward who's discovered the secret to eternal youth.

hojlund will be good for what? 12-15 years at best and then we're back in the market for another striker. bloody joke

Unread 13-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Patty_b

Decent player, as a second option would be class. As a main option... Not so much.

Unread 13-07-2023, 01:29 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Probably a stretch to say Watford, but I think you get my point?

I suspect he'd be an underwhelming signing, at least in the football department. Hope I'm wrong, but then again I'm still holding the candle for Kane (footballing wise, obvs).

Unread 13-07-2023, 01:36 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Probably a stretch to say Watford, but I think you get my point?

I suspect he'd be an underwhelming signing, at least in the football department. Hope I'm wrong, but then again I'm still holding the candle for Kane (footballing wise, obvs).
I understand what you’re saying, but I think the route to the big European leagues as an Iranian is a bit more complicated than most.

From what I can see as soon as he got a move to a European club, he was immediately the top scorer in the Portuguese league, and has been incredibly consistent since, improving year on year, with last season being his most prolific.

Unread 13-07-2023, 01:50 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Decent player, as a second option would be class. As a main option... Not so much.
Look at the hair ffs.

If sparky had that hairline he’d be the biggest optimist on here.

Unread 13-07-2023, 02:15 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
I understand what you’re saying, but I think the route to the big European leagues as an Iranian is a bit more complicated than most.

From what I can see as soon as he got a move to a European club, he was immediately the top scorer in the Portuguese league, and has been incredibly consistent since, improving year on year, with last season being his most prolific.
Fair point, I look forward to being whelmed.

TBF its a bit like Weghorst, also underwhelming, but then you think about Martial strolling around for 30% of our games and I would genuinely rather have Jaffo playing for us.
Closed Thread