United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2022, 02:06 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I don’t dislike him and think he was a good manager at one point in time and he seems a right character which is good for the game, but I don’t get the ott admiration tbh.

Great that he’s kicked cancers arse (twice?) and wish his all the best. Just don’t get the school boy fanfare quite a few seem to have.

I bet this is a good watch though.
I think people just like him as a character and sympathise with the shabby way he was dismissed by that @#%&!, Woodward. When he threw himself on the floor in front of the dugout while Arsenal were doing likewise… Giggs clip around the ear etc

Football was painful,though. Process or not.

Unread 15-12-2022, 02:42 PM
Sparky***

It's a good documentary and surprisingly emotional at times.

I'm gutted it didn't work for him here, It's hard not to like him, but the club royally screwed him.

Unread 15-12-2022, 06:05 PM
MagnificentSeven

i agree with the general sentiment that most of the time his football was dull, he allowed the likes of leicester, bournemouth, norwich and even mk dons to get the run around on us, and getting rid was the right decision.

but what i will say is, that period around march/april in his first season when we were battering the likes of city, liverpool and spurs is still maybe the best football i've seen at united since fergie. admittedly that's a very low bar to jump over but that's neither here nor there.

unearthed rashford and won us our first post-fergie trophy too. basically plenty of negatives, plenty of positives.

Unread 15-12-2022, 09:15 PM
Bunker Buster

The Admiral....

Unread 15-12-2022, 09:21 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
i agree with the general sentiment that most of the time his football was dull, he allowed the likes of leicester, bournemouth, norwich and even mk dons to get the run around on us, and getting rid was the right decision.

but what i will say is, that period around march/april in his first season when we were battering the likes of city, liverpool and spurs is still maybe the best football i've seen at united since fergie. admittedly that's a very low bar to jump over but that's neither here nor there.

unearthed rashford and won us our first post-fergie trophy too. basically plenty of negatives, plenty of positives.
Yup, that 6 match spell of Ashley Young hitting long diagonals to Fellaini will go down in the annals of football history alongside Sacchi's Milan

Unread 15-12-2022, 10:25 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Yup, that 6 match spell of Ashley Young hitting long diagonals to Fellaini will go down in the annals of football history alongside Sacchi's Milan
young and fellaini were both really good during that period tbf.

Unread 15-12-2022, 10:29 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
I think people just like him as a character and sympathise with the shabby way he was dismissed by that @#%&!, Woodward. When he threw himself on the floor in front of the dugout while Arsenal were doing likewise… Giggs clip around the ear etc

Football was painful,though. Process or not.
Sums it up pretty fairly I think. The football wasn’t good and I’m not convinced he had enough buy in from the squad for it to have been any different given a third season.

But the story of his dismissal is £#%&!ing shameful. It’s embarrassing that shithouse little @#%&! Woodward was ever anywhere near United. It surprised me when his wife said he’d actually been crying after he’d been sacked. It’s obvious that he genuinely loved being our manager, even if the job itself wasn’t what he was clearly promised it would be.

Unread 15-12-2022, 11:05 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
They weren't though.

Unread 15-12-2022, 11:21 PM
MUFC One Love

He was obviously a very good coach, but you cannot deny it was some of the worst football Old Trafford has seen. Fair play he believed in his process and stuck to it, though.

The win at Anfield was a masterclass.

Unread 15-12-2022, 11:43 PM
GBMUFC2020

His Biography is a really good read. He was without doubt a really good Manager in his time. Not backed at United and he ended up trying out kids that weren`t up to the task

Unread 16-12-2022, 06:11 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMUFC2020
His Biography is a really good read. He was without doubt a really good Manager in his time. Not backed at United and he ended up trying out kids that weren`t up to the task
He spent over 250 million in 2 years He was a cringey, try hard £#%&!wit (pretty much like his fan base on here) who was so far out of his depth at club level by that time it showed in nearly every game he managed us. His face pulling, stupid press conferences and diving on the floor were embarrassing as £#%&!.

Put it this way, had he been Liverpool manager in that time Pop would still be doing photoshops and we’d all still be pissing ourselves.

Unread 16-12-2022, 09:11 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He spent over 250 million in 2 years He was a cringey, try hard £#%&!wit (pretty much like his fan base on here) who was so far out of his depth at club level by that time it showed in nearly every game he managed us. His face pulling, stupid press conferences and diving on the floor were embarrassing as £#%&!.

Put it this way, had he been Liverpool manager in that time Pop would still be doing photoshops and we’d all still be pissing ourselves.
I’ll put you down as a maybe…

Unread 16-12-2022, 11:31 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

Unread 16-12-2022, 11:42 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
In an era when we regularly had tallest midget competitions.

Unread 16-12-2022, 12:11 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

Unread 16-12-2022, 01:40 PM
jem

I don't think it anyone could doubt we saw the most beautiful football not geared around scoring goals ever and king louis is a funny guy.

Unread 16-12-2022, 03:31 PM
Hyman_Roth

For me, his tenure at united can be summed up by this:

Unread 16-12-2022, 03:45 PM
Parlabane

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Yep this pretty much sums it up for me - “entertaining” press conferences but absolutely turgid football - I don’t understand the love in, sure his sacking was badly managed but it was hardly a surprise

Unread 16-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Stickman

I couldn’t wait for his reign of terror to end tbh.

Unread 16-12-2022, 09:35 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I couldn’t wait for his reign of terror to end tbh.
That game at Stamford Bridge and we had 70% possession - and barely created a chance . I think Falcao hit the post from the most acute angle, and we just generally played into Mourinho's hands. That summed up a lot of the football over that period for me.

The club did treat him like a @#%&! at the end though, and Mourinho leaking the news of his arrival when we were picking up the trophy at Wembley was typical of his extreme narcissism.
Closed Thread