United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-05-2021, 09:41 PM
dunk

What a £#%&!ing man. We’ll never see the like again.

Unread 31-05-2021, 10:17 PM
AK14

Finally got around to watching this

Jesus...

Take me back 20 years

Listening to him speak it’s clear how he shaped so many players and people’s careers in the game.... us supporters too outlook on it too.

Legend

Unread 31-05-2021, 10:43 PM
HarkNowHear

Good watch, great memories.

That Aberdeen team punched above its weight somewhat.

Unread 01-06-2021, 08:42 AM
DuanePipe

Still the benchmark against which all other top managers will be judged. That won't change even after he's been dead and gone for a decade or more.

I saw that 99 treble winning team live when a mate of mine gave me and my brother his Forest season ticket for the game when Ole went mental in the second half.

I just had never seen anything like how that team played. I'd spent 10+ years watching fourth, third then second division football and it was like watching a totally different sport. Just relentless. Full backs overlapping and playing like wingers was genuinely a new thing to me. Watching as a neutral was great, but the Forest fans I was in with were just butt clenching every time Utd poured forward, it was like an assault.

Growing up watching Liverpool dominate the league with an early Ian Rush goal and then 80 minutes of passing it between Nicol, Hansen and Grobbelaar, only to be usurped by an even more boring version in the form of George Graham's Arsenal, Ferguson's Utd teams sort of changed the way teams could set about winning league titles. I always liked how he made enemies so easily too. My boss was a Utd fan and he'd always take his cue on who to hate by whichever manager Fergie was feuding with at any time.

Only black mark against him is selling us Darren for nearly a million quid, back when a million quid was a lot of money - even for a league title winning midfielder.

Unread 01-06-2021, 08:53 AM
elhombre

i absolutely loved it

i don't even watch 90mins of football intently anymore, but that was utterly brilliant

People mention Pep and Jose - they're very good at what they do. But having met Fergie a few times, sadly at funerals of people who knew him or worked for him, there is something different about him. He always reminded me of a very old school head teacher - a presence about him, but nice with it.

The former are businessmen and coaches - they are dropped in to a club, like Pep at City, or Jose at Chelsea and they carry out a role with the money and resources given to them. Like a consultant does in industry.

Ferguson comes from a different era - he's more pastoral, building a team of players and building those players up. Beckham, Giggs, Butt, Scholes and even Ronaldo and Keane - he engineered the whole setup and built the club when it was nothing like it was now. He worked wonders in Aberdeen. A total labour of love.

The woman i knew who worked with Fergie and whose funeral we both attended said Fergie ran the show and as a united fan who had followed them for 50 odd years, she worried about how united would survive without him and that there would be a vacuum when he left - and she was right.

Times have moved on - the money in the game, the pressure of the game and the type of athlete the game employs now means that fewer and fewer people like Fergie will get a chance to do what they did - going from a team of piss heads and under achievers to literally, as Duane said, blowing teams away and winning the treble.

You really, really don't understand what you've got till it's gone.

Unread 01-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Whip Hubley

New poll: is duaners the most likeable opposition fan you know?

Even when you can't hear him very well

Unread 01-06-2021, 06:04 PM
Parlabane

Yep without question always read his posts with interest but should stay away from Podcasts

Unread 01-06-2021, 06:13 PM
puressence

Just finished it.

Unread 01-06-2021, 11:06 PM
MUFC One Love

Fantastic.

I thought it was done well.

What a manager.

Unread 01-06-2021, 11:12 PM
Sparky***

He is a remarkable man. Not just a football manager but he really was the last of a dying breed.

He's incomparable. There was nobody like him before and there will never be anyone like him ever again. To compare any manager working today to him is to show immense ignorance of what the man achieved.

Unread 02-06-2021, 08:55 AM
wiganste

My only gripe with it is that it didn't go on longer. What a man

Unread 02-06-2021, 08:57 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
My only gripe with it is that it didn't go on longer. What a man
Tbf he gave us 26 years, he deserved a break.

Unread 02-06-2021, 09:02 AM
wiganste

Unread 02-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
He is a remarkable man. Not just a football manager but he really was the last of a dying breed.

He's incomparable. There was nobody like him before and there will never be anyone like him ever again. To compare any manager working today to him is to show immense ignorance of what the man achieved.
This.

It’s a different game now, but I’ve never known anyone take a team from the level they were in 86 to what they’ve become....then rebuild in 95....then rebuild in 07.... overseeing the change from old school manager to more modern day coach.... facing up new challenges from Wenger, Blackburn, Chelsea, City and STILL coming out on top. Always perfectly treading the line of his principles (attacking football, youth) and the paramount importance of winning. He had both. The man management to leather Giggs, but put the arm round Eric...while never upsetting the whole dressing room. He had everything.

I enjoyed the focus on Aberdeen too. I knew what he’d done there, but never properly looked into it. Impressive enough on its own. He didn’t get the United job from nothing.

He and his teams deserved more champions league titles. That’s my only slight regret.

What an incredible man and I’ll be devastated when he’s gone.

Unread 02-06-2021, 06:49 PM
red in cumbria

Its now often forgotten how epochal his breaking the Celtic/Rangers league duopoly four decades ago actually was. The success in Europe was just a (very impressive) cherry on top really.

Unread 02-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Marvel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Its now often forgotten how epochal his breaking the Celtic/Rangers league duopoly four decades ago actually was. The success in Europe was just a (very impressive) cherry on top really.
Just 4 titles in 56 years have been won by neither Rangers or Celtic, 3 of those were Sir Alex's Aberdeen, incredible achievement.

Unread 02-06-2021, 08:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Just 4 titles in 56 years have been won by neither Rangers or Celtic, 3 of those were Sir Alex's Aberdeen, incredible achievement.
And as related on here recently, the other was won by Jim McLean - who was also a pretty remarkable man.

Unread 02-06-2021, 09:20 PM
FraUtd

Good watch, proper goosebumps for the Eric bit and the 99 final

Unread 02-06-2021, 10:09 PM
Vedder

Just finished this, brilliant watch, his achievements at Aberdeen are probably better than his United achievements what a manager, Aberdeen ffs

Unread 02-06-2021, 10:11 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Just absolutely
Closed Thread