United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2013, 11:06 PM
red in cumbria

In his own inimitable way, Sparky is right.

Mourinho, like him or loathe him, IS one of the best managers in the world and Moyes has his work cut out.

Unread 31-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
In his own inimitable way, Sparky is right.

Mourinho, like him or loathe him, IS one of the best managers in the world and Moyes has his work cut out.
You're right. Him going back to chelsea just as we're losing the bedrock of our success to retirement is not good news for us.

If, like Neo, you want to judge the man's entire managerial career on this bad ending to his Madrid tenure, then fine. But more fool you. It's obvious to anyone out there that Madrid is a poison chalice. Mourinho went in there being his usual abrasive self, taking on the egos in the dressing room & the boardroom and it has ultimately cost him his job. It's backfired. I should imagine everybody saw it coming but Mourinho himself, such is his legendary arrogance. For one season he overcame the dominance of Barcelona domestically but things unraveled when he started locking horns with the madrid royalty in the dressing room. He probably regrets going there in the first place.

Since Fergie retired, there is nobody out there apart from Guardiola who has a CV to match his. It's as simple as that.

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Ashley's Grime

I £#%&!ing hate Mourinho so I'm glad he's going to Chewsea rather than shitty.

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:26 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
I £#%&!ing hate Mourinho so I'm glad he's going to Chewsea rather than shitty.
I don't really "hate" him - though I reserve the right to change my mind on that a year from now

Agree on your other point, though.

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Like how you conveniently ignore a treble with Inter. An Inter who've been nowhere in the CL for decades. An Inter Neo's hero El Blobbo absolutely holocausted the very next season. An Inter that were transformed with little expenditure and some shrewd signings.

Or winning the CL with Porto. How close have his successors come since i wonder?

Or taking over Chelsea and immediately dominating the league. We wrestled it away in the third season. Chelsea were ravaged by injury and a very strong Utd team were just coming to the boil. A far better team than the current one imo i might add. The bones of that team still win trophies 6 years later.

Madrid is a basket case. The players control the club as evidenced by all the shite that's gone on this season. How's he supposed to impose his authority with all those @#%&!s running the place? He can do nothing because the players are seen as more important than the manager. He did well to drag those @#%&!s to the latter stages of the CL while winning a league.

Show me another manager who has succeeded to such a level in so many differing environments in such a time frame.

You can't.

He's the best manager in the world pal. You cannot argue with his record. If you think Dave was appointed for football reasons over Mourinho you're insane.

The only reason can be imo that the Glazers couldn't trust Mourinho to toe the party line re them siphoning off millions rather than putting in the investment required to challenge at the highest level.

Everyone knows this is the reality. We should be doing what Bayern Munich are doing. We can't because the money generated goes down the shitter.

He's got a big mouth and wouldn't think twice about going public if he felt he was unable to compete imo. The "Glazers never refused funds for a transfer" "great owners" myth would soon get blown away if a manager of repute with some %@#$&!s and no legacy to protect had his job on the line.

They don't want such a potentially divisive character as manager. Not now all the anti-Glazer protests have died down. They are a lot of things but they're no-one's idiot.

You seek to justify this policy by dismissing Mourinho's obvious quality when you should be angry that you're being short changed for the sake of the owner getting a quiet life.

I hope you're right btw. You're not though.
Ffs. He's a football manager, not Che Guevara. If he'd come to United then he'd have done what Fergie did - managed the £#%&!ing team and kept his nose out of financial matters. No chance he would have instigated some kind of internal revolution, ffs. That's £#%&!ing cloud cuckoo thinking.

This belief that Moyes is a budget replacement bought in solely because he'll be a lapdog for the Glazers is a strange notion. If anything, Mourinho would have been the safer bet for them as he would almost certainly compete for trophies every season, until he got bored or frustrated and £#%&!ed off to his next project anyway.

Moyes is a huge risk for the Glazers, as if he doesn't deliver the fans will start asking questions, and the anti-Glazer movement will most likely reach it's most vociferous point. Fergie leaving is a massive blow for them, as any failures now will see the fingers being pointed at them. Mourinho would have deflected that with his ability to bring short-term success, but Moyes is much harder to predict, and a huge gamble for them.

To me, the Moyes selection has been influenced most by Fergie and Sir Bobby. I honestly think they had the biggest role in his selection as they see him as the perfect long-term successor. Mourinho may have been in the running in Fergie's mind, but Sir Bobby never wanted him. His antics at Madrid (losing the entire dressing room, falling out with the board, the eye gouging) have blown his chances even further. He's a circus, and much more suited to Chelsea. Moyes coming in, with Fergie providing guidance over his shoulder, was the right choice for United for footballing reasons, IMO. We can't have that egomaniac polluting our great club.

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Macca1990

£#%&!ing hell we might as well hand the title over when he gets announced, get a grip ffs

Unread 01-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Show me another manager who has succeeded to such a level in so many differing environments in such a time frame.

You can't.
Ending up in so many differing environments in such a short time frame is not necessarily something to be proud of. I can't show you another manager with a similar CV because other top managers haven't bounced from job to job every two years.

For the record I do think he's among the top 5 managers in the world. But that is not a fair or relevant standard to use in comparison to other managers who manage a bit of career stability.

Unread 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Ffs. He's a football manager, not Che Guevara. If he'd come to United then he'd have done what Fergie did - managed the £#%&!ing team and kept his nose out of financial matters. No chance he would have instigated some kind of internal revolution, ffs. That's £#%&!ing cloud cuckoo thinking.

This belief that Moyes is a budget replacement bought in solely because he'll be a lapdog for the Glazers is a strange notion. If anything, Mourinho would have been the safer bet for them as he would almost certainly compete for trophies every season, until he got bored or frustrated and £#%&!ed off to his next project anyway.

Moyes is a huge risk for the Glazers, as if he doesn't deliver the fans will start asking questions, and the anti-Glazer movement will most likely reach it's most vociferous point. Fergie leaving is a massive blow for them, as any failures now will see the fingers being pointed at them. Mourinho would have deflected that with his ability to bring short-term success, but Moyes is much harder to predict, and a huge gamble for them.

To me, the Moyes selection has been influenced most by Fergie and Sir Bobby. I honestly think they had the biggest role in his selection as they see him as the perfect long-term successor. Mourinho may have been in the running in Fergie's mind, but Sir Bobby never wanted him. His antics at Madrid (losing the entire dressing room, falling out with the board, the eye gouging) have blown his chances even further. He's a circus, and much more suited to Chelsea. Moyes coming in, with Fergie providing guidance over his shoulder, was the right choice for United for footballing reasons, IMO. We can't have that egomaniac polluting our great club.
Fair enough pal.

How good would Che Guevara have been as Utd manager btw? :mmmonkey: Doing the physio on the side. Curing Bebe's leprosy. Executing Rooney by firing squad for disloyalty.

Unread 01-06-2013, 02:44 AM
waynes ear's

we'll win the league pushed hard by spurs and arsenal, city will be mid table, liverpool relegated

you watch

£#%&! maureen, we didnt miss out on £#%&! all

Unread 01-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Ending up in so many differing environments in such a short time frame is not necessarily something to be proud of. I can't show you another manager with a similar CV because other top managers haven't bounced from job to job every two years.

For the record I do think he's among the top 5 managers in the world. But that is not a fair or relevant standard to use in comparison to other managers who manage a bit of career stability.
Sense

There is a reason Maureen has gone running back to Chelsea

That reason is because he has nowhere else to go! Burnt his bridges in Italy, Germany didn't want him and neither did we

He is the equivalent of Sven Goran-Ericsson running back to Nancy after Ulrika £#%&!ed him off!

He has gone back to Roman tail between his legs hoping to be given another fortune to revive his 'image'

He walked out 'on principle' so what has changed at Chelsea to make that principled stance any different? Nothing is the answer, he was going to get sacked by Real because they have presidential elections this summer

A marriage of convenience nothing more

Unread 01-06-2013, 04:17 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullerz
best argument I've heard against Jose is 'he just wins things'.

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
He's the best manager in the world pal. You cannot argue with his record. If you think Dave was appointed for football reasons over Mourinho you're insane.

The only reason can be imo that the Glazers couldn't trust Mourinho to toe the party line re them siphoning off millions rather than putting in the investment required to challenge at the highest level.

Everyone knows this is the reality. We should be doing what Bayern Munich are doing. We can't because the money generated goes down the shitter.

He's got a big mouth and wouldn't think twice about going public if he felt he was unable to compete imo. The "Glazers never refused funds for a transfer" "great owners" myth would soon get blown away if a manager of repute with some %@#$&!s and no legacy to protect had his job on the line.

They don't want such a potentially divisive character as manager. Not now all the anti-Glazer protests have died down. They are a lot of things but they're no-one's idiot.

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
nou_camp_26_5_99

I still had a crazy hope that he would be understudy to Moyesy so when Moyes would £#%&! up, he would overthrow him

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nou_camp_26_5_99
I still had a crazy hope that he would be understudy to Moyesy so when Moyes would £#%&! up, he would overthrow him
we all did.

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

If Moyes can get a couple of titles with this team I believe he will then have the confidence to transition. That could roll on on to seeing us right for the next 15 years. If it was about getting another few trophies post Fergie then we could have gone for Fat Rafa just as easily as Maureen. Cause thats exactly as much as it would be

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
If Moyes can get a couple of titles with this team I believe he will then have the confidence to transition. That could roll on on to seeing us right for the next 15 years. If it was about getting another few trophies post Fergie then we could have gone for Fat Rafa just as easily as Maureen. Cause thats exactly as much as it would be

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
Correct

Moyes had his hands tied at Everton, he over performed given the emergence of chelsea & city.

He got the best out of his squad, that isn't up for discussion (unless you are an idiot who thinks he should magically transform player's ability)

He now has a completely different set of players, a whole new level but the doomers think he is going to turn us into everton

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Correct

Moyes had his hands tied at Everton, he over performed given the emergence of chelsea & city.

He got the best out of his squad, that isn't up for discussion (unless you are an idiot who thinks he should magically transform player's ability)

He now has a completely different set of players, a whole new level but the doomers think he is going to turn us into everton
Not only that.... but you don't need to be one of us old @#%&!s remembering how Sir Matt left things- compared to how Fregelliogs leaving it- to be relaxed about Wilf taking over again if needs be

Unread 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
If you think Dave was appointed for football reasons over Mourinho you're insane.

You seek to justify this policy by dismissing Mourinho's obvious quality when you should be angry that you're being short changed for the sake of the owner getting a quiet life.

I hope you're right btw. You're not though.
That's a very selective, black or white account methinks. For starters even Perez has cited the damage to the global image of the club that having a character behaving like Mourinho has has caused Real. If the manager of United isn't doing very well in behind-the-scenes conversations with the owners would you want him to take that into the public domain as a tactic? Because if you would then you're insane. United is above that, or at least it has been under Ferguson except in a very small number of very carefully and diplomatically aired grievances.

In terms of protecting his team in public Mourinho would be fine at United, just as Ferguson was always allowed to be his own man on those terms.

Not sure what you're on about with the bits about being unable to compete etc? You seem to be making excuses for Mourinho not having a blank chequebook in his hypothetical role as United's manager Maybe there are plenty of people who would want a United manager to have exactly that and who think they should have it. But there are at least as many and probably far more who wouldn't want that and don't want it.

The question marks over Mourinho are not about him being able to win trophies, they are about him bringing the Mourinho show to town. Everyone knows exactly what is meant by that, and most people know that that is not the United way - even if they would be happy to take that ride for a few seasons just for the craic.

Unread 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
The taste of...

Maureen nailed on as the new Dr Who I reckon.
Closed Thread