United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
£#%&!ing hell
Well we played some of the worst football I’d ever seen during that period and got @#%&!ted by shit opposition regularly.

I can assure you there was less of an obvious plan during the 1st two years of Fergie’s tenure than there is now.

The point is managers need time and 6 matches into a new season and two years down the track isn’t long at all.

Too long for the Goldbridge generation obviously.

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:25 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Well we played some of the worst football I’d ever seen during that period and got @#%&!ted by shit opposition regularly.

I can assure you there was less of an obvious plan during the 1st two years of Fergie’s tenure than there is now.

The point is managers need time and 6 matches into a new season and two years down the track isn’t long at all.

Too long for the Goldbridge generation obviously.
Much much harder to turn the ship around nowadays - trying to get rid of players is much harder. Also the financial pressures are huge. Short termism reigns.

We desperately need to get some width in the team.

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:39 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Much much harder to turn the ship around nowadays - trying to get rid of players is much harder. Also the financial pressures are huge. Short termism reigns.

We desperately need to get some width in the team.
I know. United are already deep into short termism - this is our 4th manager in 8 seasons. I kind of understand woody adopting that approach - he’s a clueless investment banker and is massively out of his depth. For our own fans to be championing this approach though...

Thankfully, I remind myself that it’s mainly sparky, windy and Tronics that are pushing this approach. People who rarely set foot in the ground and don’t have any real connection with the club. Post 99 lads basically who live in the south and ‘really really wanted to support the very most successful team’ which just so happened to be united when they were younger.

All three of them would be Liverpool fans if they were younger versions of themselves now. 100%

I’ll worry when people I respect start thinking that way.

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:39 PM
bosskeano

if Ole keeps playing Pogba.....he's going to end up getting sacked for it

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:43 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
It is utterly bizarre that we're on one of our worst runs at home ever, and simultaneously on the best away run in the history of the club.
Especially so at a time when there are no crowds at all!

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:48 PM
Zorg

Quote:
I know. United are already deep into short termism - this is our 4th manager in 8 seasons. I kind of understand woody adopting that approach - he’s a clueless investment banker and is massively out of his depth. For our own fans to be championing this approach though...

Thankfully, I remind myself that it’s mainly sparky, windy and Tronics that are pushing this approach. People who rarely set foot in the ground and don’t have any real connection with the club. Post 99 lads basically who live in the south and ‘really really wanted to support the very most successful team’ which just so happened to be united when they were younger.

All three of them would be Liverpool fans if they were younger versions of themselves now. 100%

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:53 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Probably makes some posts on an internet forum mate

"what will you do" What kind of £#%&!ing question is that? The same thing any of us do, watch united every week and reach our own conclusions based on what we watch
So moan and make hysterical conclusions weekly?

My point is it runs deeper than Ole.

Do you think United will get out of this group of death in Europe pal?

Quote:

Ask them why they support Utd and they give you some shite about their great uncle supporting United after Munich.

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:59 PM
browser

Thumbs up

Ole in, Pogba out. Someone hire a plane

Unread 01-11-2020, 11:10 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
we've sacked two champions league winning and multiple title winning managers of the highest pedigree for performances like we've seen in the last 6 games. Other than nostalgia and affection what exactly is it that ole has done which should buy him time?

Don't use klopp as an example, he's the best manager in the world currently and had reached a champions league final with liverpool by this point in his tenure
No he £#%&!ing hadn't .

Painful to watch you tell lies and twist stats in order to make some infantile point and pursue some warped agenda

Get to £#%&!

Unread 01-11-2020, 11:20 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Don’t worry pal, I’d ship out half the squad and half the fan axe before I even thought about ditching Ole

Unread 02-11-2020, 05:18 AM
goldfinger II

I think Ole got it badly wrong today.

He should have played his normal 4-2-1-3 formation with Fred and The Scottish Player in their normal positions, instead of sticking to the diamond off the back of one game. Diamonds are for never, IMO, not so different from doughnuts.

Anyway, his substitutions were very poor as well. I find it hard to fathom taking Bruno off and leaving Pogba on, but then I find it hard to fathom Pogba having anything to do with our first team squad at all. There has to be something going on there - has to be. There's no way he is getting picked for football reasons.

It's not the first £#%&!-up Ole has made but they have been few and far between and this has been a rare big game defeat for him. People quickly forget the 5 and a half years prior to his appointment. We were generally very poor and very hard to watch in those years. Ole's team are a big step up from that. The progression in the team from the beginning of last season is plain to see.

People make conclusions after every game nowadays - only last week, Mark Lawrenson was on about the possibility of Everton being title contenders, for £#%&! sake. The utter idiocy of it. Maybe calm the £#%&! down and see how things are at Christmas time, yeah. In the 90's people used to laugh and shake their heads at how mad it was in Serie A - managers getting sacked every 5 minutes. It's now far worse here than Serie A ever was. There is so much scrutiny and analysis of every single game and somehow it must all add up to an overall status - and each new result impacts that status - it's utter %@#$&!s. The state of the nation is updated on a weekly basis. Might as well analyse every throw in and add them up - and there's this constant need to find patterns and read meanings into them - 10 goals conceded against teams starting with the letter "b" - £#%&! off, you utter @#%&!s.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 podcasts that will have reports of this game tomorrow - that's a lot of talk about not so much content - I would venture that a lot of that talk will be hot air [I'll probably listen to all of them because I'm a stupid @#%&! and my desire for vengeance is strong]. Note to self: interesting movie title - "Avenger Without a Cause" - I've met a few lads that would fit that description.

We've played 10 games this season, won 6, drawn 1 and lost 3. Whilst it was not a factor against Chelsea or Arsenal, our players were nowhere near match-fit for the first 5 games. That is not a terrible record. It just isn't. It certainly should not lead to questions about the manager's future. That such questions should arise anyway is ridiculous. Wise up.

IMO, there are 2 concerns about the match against Arsenal. One is why the £#%&! is Pogba being selected at all? Is there a stipulation that he must play? Massive problem if so, massive mistake by Ole if not. The other thing to worry about is the drop off in performance from the CL matches and the league ones. What Ole and Maguire hinted at about patting themselves on the back a bit too much rings true to me - That smacks of a mid-table mentality. It has to be sorted and it's up to all of them to do that. Ole and coaching staff should've already been watching out for that making sure it doesn't happen, tbf.

By the way, there are things to be postive about as well. Our front 4 is £#%&!ing fantastic - I honestly don't understand how anyone cannot be excited by them. Well, Ole assembled that front 4 - Rashford and Martial where on the road to nowhere before he arrived, he gave Greenwood his head (would never have happened under the last man) and he bought Fernandes, already one of the best players in the league. They even play quite well together.

Ole's first choice eleven aren't bad: De Gea, WB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McT, Fred, Fernandes, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford.

If we upgrade Fred, Lindelof and Shaw, and maybe sign a class right-winger at some point we will have a very fine side. If Tuanzebe and Telles successfully replace Lindelof and Shaw, that's 50% of the job.

Calm, Bull.

Unread 02-11-2020, 06:50 AM
puressence

the pogba situation is very odd , even neville commented early in the game , how he had to find a place in the team for him , as he didnt want it hanging around on his shoulders . its beyond belief really is

Unread 02-11-2020, 07:18 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Ole in, Pogba out. Someone hire a plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Don’t worry pal, I’d ship out half the squad and half the fan axe before I even thought about ditching Ole

Unread 02-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
I think Ole got it badly wrong today.

He should have played his normal 4-2-1-3 formation with Fred and The Scottish Player in their normal positions, instead of sticking to the diamond off the back of one game. Diamonds are for never, IMO, not so different from doughnuts.

Anyway, his substitutions were very poor as well. I find it hard to fathom taking Bruno off and leaving Pogba on, but then I find it hard to fathom Pogba having anything to do with our first team squad at all. There has to be something going on there - has to be. There's no way he is getting picked for football reasons.

It's not the first £#%&!-up Ole has made but they have been few and far between and this has been a rare big game defeat for him. People quickly forget the 5 and a half years prior to his appointment. We were generally very poor and very hard to watch in those years. Ole's team are a big step up from that. The progression in the team from the beginning of last season is plain to see.

People make conclusions after every game nowadays - only last week, Mark Lawrenson was on about the possibility of Everton being title contenders, for £#%&! sake. The utter idiocy of it. Maybe calm the £#%&! down and see how things are at Christmas time, yeah. In the 90's people used to laugh and shake their heads at how mad it was in Serie A - managers getting sacked every 5 minutes. It's now far worse here than Serie A ever was. There is so much scrutiny and analysis of every single game and somehow it must all add up to an overall status - and each new result impacts that status - it's utter %@#$&!s. The state of the nation is updated on a weekly basis. Might as well analyse every throw in and add them up - and there's this constant need to find patterns and read meanings into them - 10 goals conceded against teams starting with the letter "b" - £#%&! off, you utter @#%&!s.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 podcasts that will have reports of this game tomorrow - that's a lot of talk about not so much content - I would venture that a lot of that talk will be hot air [I'll probably listen to all of them because I'm a stupid @#%&! and my desire for vengeance is strong]. Note to self: interesting movie title - "Avenger Without a Cause" - I've met a few lads that would fit that description.

We've played 10 games this season, won 6, drawn 1 and lost 3. Whilst it was not a factor against Chelsea or Arsenal, our players were nowhere near match-fit for the first 5 games. That is not a terrible record. It just isn't. It certainly should not lead to questions about the manager's future. That such questions should arise anyway is ridiculous. Wise up.

IMO, there are 2 concerns about the match against Arsenal. One is why the £#%&! is Pogba being selected at all? Is there a stipulation that he must play? Massive problem if so, massive mistake by Ole if not. The other thing to worry about is the drop off in performance from the CL matches and the league ones. What Ole and Maguire hinted at about patting themselves on the back a bit too much rings true to me - That smacks of a mid-table mentality. It has to be sorted and it's up to all of them to do that. Ole and coaching staff should've already been watching out for that making sure it doesn't happen, tbf.

By the way, there are things to be postive about as well. Our front 4 is £#%&!ing fantastic - I honestly don't understand how anyone cannot be excited by them. Well, Ole assembled that front 4 - Rashford and Martial where on the road to nowhere before he arrived, he gave Greenwood his head (would never have happened under the last man) and he bought Fernandes, already one of the best players in the league. They even play quite well together.

Ole's first choice eleven aren't bad: De Gea, WB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McT, Fred, Fernandes, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford.

If we upgrade Fred, Lindelof and Shaw, and maybe sign a class right-winger at some point we will have a very fine side. If Tuanzebe and Telles successfully replace Lindelof and Shaw, that's 50% of the job.

Calm, Bull.
Wow. Post

Unread 02-11-2020, 08:33 AM
puressence

Quote:

yhgr

Unread 02-11-2020, 09:13 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
There's being annoyed and there's wanting the manager sacked, fair bit of difference. The same manager that got us to 3rd last season and on the back of no pre-season and a diabolical transfer window from the club has had a rough start to the season. The same manager who had a bad start to last season but managed to turn it around, maybe he deserves more than 6 games this season?
wasn't you one of the people saying we had strength in depth last week?

Quote:
Yeah and I also saw fergies side from 86 and I know how long that took.
absolute nonsense post.

Unread 02-11-2020, 09:31 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
wasn't you one of the people saying we had strength in depth last week?

absolute nonsense post.
I’m not comparing managers ffs - I’m comparing time periods and short termism. More money is invested nowadays, expectations levels are higher and results are expected more quickly - we’ve just sacked 3 managers in 6 seasons using that approach. If we can see that progress is being made then surely that shouldn’t be our approach again? As it wasn’t back then.

The issue I guess is whether you think progress is being made or not. I think it clearly is, you don’t.

I think yesterday’s defeat is on ole - wrong set up and shite substitutions. My response is a recognition that that needs to improve and change - yours is ‘this isn’t working, sack him’.

Unread 02-11-2020, 09:32 AM
no fun

Unread 02-11-2020, 09:33 AM
believe

Quote:
I’m not comparing managers ffs - I’m comparing time periods and short termism. More money is invested nowadays, expectations levels are higher and results are expected more quickly but we’ve just sacked 3 managers in 6 seasons using that approach. If we can see that progress is being made then surely that shouldn’t be our approach again? As it wasn’t back then.

The issue I guess is whether you think progress is being made or not. I think it clearly is, you don’t.

I think yesterday’s defeat is on ole - wrong set up and shite substitutions. My response is a recognition that that needs to improve and change - yours is ‘this isn’t working, sack him’.
I've never once said we should sack him, I honestly think that is the worse thing that could happen.

Unread 02-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I've never once said we should sack him, I honestly think that is the worse thing that could happen.
Apologies, thought you were part of the pitchfork crew.
Closed Thread