United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Other Sports & Fitness

Unread 14-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Time For Heroes

Pointless even starting this Test. Gonna rain most of Friday and Saturday too.

Unread 14-08-2019, 03:55 PM
signed dc

Could have done with this sort of weather in Birmingham on the last day

Unread 14-08-2019, 04:12 PM
andyroo

Ireland could've used it tbh

Unread 14-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Sparky***

cricket

absolute f***ing waste of time

Unread 14-08-2019, 05:01 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
cricket

absolute f***ing waste of time
This season has been infuriating, it hasn't actually been a bad summer, but Saturday's have been shit weather wise, so you have to go through the same f***ing process each week of
- trying to get teams sorted.
- sorting travel
- sorting a scorer
- sorting someone to make teas
- turning up
- sit about watching the rain / try and get rain off the pitch.
- take covers off / put covers back on / repeat various times
- call it off

last Saturday i was at our club from 8.30am to 3.30pm and we got as far as trying to get started before the 3.30 cut off and as soon as the players took the field at 3.25 , it started pissing it down again.

It could have been called off earlier, but both teams were keen to play, so the umpires tend to play along.

The game doesn't do itself any favours, we'd play in anything, and have done, but you need all parties onside. The umpires have a duty of care and there was an instance (down south) where the umpires decided a pitch was playable and then someone slipped and broke a leg and tried to sue the umpires, the umpires union had to step in and get representation for said umpire so there is a tendency to be cautious.

Unread 14-08-2019, 05:08 PM
AK14

Why donít they put great big canopyís over the wicket and outfield?

Surprised they havenít invented an indoor version so people can play them in leisure centres.

Unread 14-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Why donít they put great big canopyís over the wicket and outfield?

Surprised they havenít invented an indoor version so people can play them in leisure centres.
There are indoor halls available for nets practice. Obviously you can't play a game in an indoor hall but for indoor practice it's convenient.

Some places will have a bowling machine to use in kids coaching practice. They cost about £700 and no child is allowed to use it at my local place without supervision from a coach since one or little bastards will revv it up and hurt themselves.

Unread 14-08-2019, 08:07 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
There are indoor halls available for nets practice. Obviously you can't play a game in an indoor hall but for indoor practice it's convenient.

Some places will have a bowling machine to use in kids coaching practice. They cost about £700 and no child is allowed to use it at my local place without supervision from a coach since one or little bastards will revv it up and hurt themselves.

https://youtu.be/gRL8amqa-1Q

https://youtu.be/RCgAqNSAD1U
I'd imagine there's indoor cricket leagues in most areas, they have them over here at the indoor cricket school opposite Headingley.

Edit

Last edited by thatsfuctit; 14-08-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Unread 14-08-2019, 08:20 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
I'd imagine there's indoor cricket leagues in most areas, they have them over here at the indoor cricket school opposite Headingley.
I used to play in one in Sydney, a few of us decided to look into it one day when roaring drunk watching the cricket and realising we were all getting a bit tubby so we started a team from scratch. Was good crack, only meant to be social but once you step out there you get right into it so got pretty competitive at times.

We called ourselves the Phil Tufnel Fielding Academy, I was lucky enough to meet him later in England and when I told him I think he was flattered

Unread 14-08-2019, 08:35 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
The game doesn't do itself any favours, we'd play in anything, and have done, but you need all parties onside. The umpires have a duty of care and there was an instance (down south) where the umpires decided a pitch was playable and then someone slipped and broke a leg and tried to sue the umpires, the umpires union had to step in and get representation for said umpire so there is a tendency to be cautious.
Birmingham League - a ridiculous claim over a knee ligament tear that was slung out. Umpires acted reasonably in declaring the ground fit for play.