Originally Posted by waynes ear's View Post
gonna sort a gram and look at that hard
They colour it in arbitrarily. Utter fraud pics

Unread 13-11-2019, 10:07 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
They colour it in arbitrarily. Utter fraud pics
This was discussed years ago on this very forum. People laughed when I said they, pretty much, just colour in the pictures.

Who's laughing now, eh?

Unread 13-11-2019, 10:11 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles View Post
This was discussed years ago on this very forum. People laughed when I said they, pretty much, just colour in the pictures.

Who's laughing now, eh?
us. At you.

They dont just colour in with random colours ffs

Unread 13-11-2019, 11:18 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's View Post
us. At you.

They dont just colour in with random colours ffs
I know they use the waves to decide what colour it 'might' be but I'm sure there is a bit of guess work somewhere.

Unread 13-11-2019, 11:27 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
I know they use the waves to decide what colour it 'might' be but I'm sure there is a bit of guess work somewhere.
That's not what they are doing at all. They know it will actually look nothing like that to the naked eye because so many of the wavelengths aren't visible to humans.

It is simply a means to show structure in a way the human eye can resolve.

I should imagine that they simply shift the entire spectrum of electro-magnetic radiation collected into the visible spectrum. There may be some compression or expansion as well to get the maximum range of colours.

Unread 13-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Drexl

Well, tbf, magenta doesn't actually "exist" (because it is the combination of two wavelengths from opposite ends of the spectrum), so all colour is a bit subjective

Unread 13-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
That's how pretty much everything works though, camera sensors don't pick up colour, they only pick up light. They then use filters to filter the light into the three primary colours and then layer them on top of each other to form a colour image. I believe it's the same method used in space telescopes and recordings, but the merging/layering process isn't done by the tech itself on the spot.

You might as well complain about every colour photo you have ever seen not showing the true colour of the scene.

And in terms of making it more fanciful, again, most phones and modern cameras make adjustments to the colours of the image automatically whenever you take a selfie of your ugly mug.

If I had a choice of making a Nebula or distant planet look more appealing in a photo, or a selfie of some mong, I'd for the for the space stuff every time.