United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:02 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchippo123
The most important change is the one they will not think to make. Solskjaer is a solid manager and has exceeded expectations at Manchester United, overseeing the first sustainable signs of progress in the post-Ferguson era. He should be commended for that but it is time for a better coach to build upon those foundations. Solskjaer stumbled into this competition through incompetence in another tournament and then failed again at the final hurdle. The standard has to be higher.
the glazers have exactly the manager they want.

but I expect even joel would have made subs.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:05 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
But he didn't save it, and that's the point. He was never going to save one. Stick a small fridge in the goal and it might have saved at least one. Not sure why Ole couldn't see this, as he was making subs for penalties. Or maybe he did but though loyalty to his players was more important.

You're right though, we're not there. Even if we'd have won the penalties, I guarantee nobody but the most deluded would be making Fergie compassions, just as they didn't after Mourinho won the same pointless cup.
I don’t blame him with sticking with De Gea for the pens.

Even if there weren’t Fergie comparisons if we won a shootout, people would have no £#%&!s or concerns about the direction we’re going.

We £#%&!ed it last night. It was quite embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t think we’re anywhere close to “there” nor am I optimistic we’ll get there under this regime.
Same. Not just the manager by any stretch.

There were people outside the ground calling for Ole’s head last night.

Seemed like a bit of a knee jerk reaction based on losing a game in pens but Van Gaal was sacked after winning a trophy..

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:23 AM
dunk

Am I right in thinking that the cross for their goal bounced about a yard outside the 6 yard box? Henderson would’ve come and caught that.

That postponed Liverpool game absolutely £#%&!ed our season imo. Without it, we beat Leicester and the dippers, play a weaker team at Villa and Henderson doesn’t make his only mistake and get dropped leading to De Gea costing us the final. Horrific.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:33 AM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
I don’t blame him with sticking with De Gea for the pens.

Even if there weren’t Fergie comparisons if we won a shootout, people would have no f***s or concerns about the direction we’re going.

We f***ed it last night. It was quite embarrassing.

Same. Not just the manager by any stretch.

There were people outside the ground calling for Ole’s head last night.

Seemed like a bit of a knee jerk reaction based on losing a game in pens but Van Gaal was sacked after winning a trophy..
The expansion of CL caused this, where it has become priorty for many teams to finish top 4 rather than actually win something.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:34 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Am I right in thinking that the cross for their goal bounced about a yard outside the 6 yard box? Henderson would’ve come and caught that.

That postponed Liverpool game absolutely £#%&!ed our season imo. Without it, we beat Leicester and the dippers, play a weaker team at Villa and Henderson doesn’t make his only mistake and get dropped leading to De Gea costing us the final. Horrific.
Several times I muttered "goalkeeper's ball" to myself and then remembered De Gea was playing. Only time he wasn't rooted to the spot was when he fell over for the penalties.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

That’s some serous butterfly effect shit right there.

I think De Gea starts this game no matter what. He’d become the Europa keeper.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:46 AM
jem

Quote:
you are not right at all.

also, matic would have come on at 70 mins and played a lovely through ball for greenwood to finish.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:51 AM
Sapien

Surprisingly unarsed this morning.

Not sure if it's because:

1. It was the Europa
2. Covid football is just shit
3. As I get older football seems less important
4. Football in general is a bit shit nowadays
5. I'm used to our general shitness

Or some combination thereof.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Surprisingly unarsed this morning.

Not sure if it's because:

1. It was the Europa
2. Covid football is just shit
3. As I get older football seems less important
4. Football in general is a bit shit nowadays
5. I'm used to our general shitness

Or some combination thereof.
I feel a sense of relief that it’s over tbh.

Shitty weird Covid footy and odd scheduling. Get it done and forget it now til August.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:55 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
That’s some serous butterfly effect shit right there.

I think De Gea starts this game no matter what. He’d become the Europa keeper.
Yeah true. Just tossed a trophy away for the £#%&! of it

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:56 AM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
This has flattened us imo.

It's a long way back. If they don't strengthen this summer properly they are in trouble.

We will struggle to get in the top 4 next season.
Maybe. But the Glazer issue needs resolving and l don't think the club will be competitive again until they are gone. They cast a shadow over everything.

I wanted the victory last night but it at least deprived them of spinning it with what's the problem?

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Messaged someone saying “he won’t save a single penalty”. I didn’t think there’d be 11 of them.
Wasn't Sparky was it?

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:27 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Wasn't Sparky was it?

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:31 AM
jem

Quote:
Yeah true. Just tossed a trophy away for the £#%&! of it
maybe stop obsessing about de gea.

we have a mediocre squad, manager and tactics. when we get moments of brilliance from our star players, we can beat anyone, but we lack consistency.

if you don't count whining.

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:34 AM
My Name is Heath

It's a Ned Stark reminder of where we truly are.

We've a decent First XI when all fit with 2 or 3 weak areas.

We have a handful of back up players who can have their moments.

We are top 4 challengers still at best - no injury to VVD and a sensible manager at Chelsea for the full season and we'd have been in a battle for 4th.

We need to stay cool, sort out the keeper situation, get a top class CB partner for Maguire, get a Matic upgrade, resolve where Pogba is best (a neve-ending job like painting the Forth Bridge) and get a zesty winger and take it from there.

Kane? Haaland? Batman? Give your turnip a wobble.

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:36 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
maybe stop obsessing about de gea.

we have a mediocre squad, manager and tactics. when we get moments of brilliance from our star players, we can beat anyone, but we lack consistency.

if you don't count whining.
Maybe stop defending the indefensible (or unable to defend).

You're as bad as the manager, holding on to past glories, he's £#%&!ing gone. It's been staring us in the face for 2 £#%&!ing years, he was the root of the defensive issues first half of the season and cost us a trophy with his cowardly keeping last night.

Quote:
Messaged someone saying “he won’t save a single penalty”. I didn’t think there’d be 11 of them.
Soon as it went to pens messaged my mate saying we're £#%&!ed as De Gea is a ghost. Can't believe how obvious it was.

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:45 AM
jem

Quote:
Maybe stop defending the indefensible (or unable to defend).

You're as bad as the manager, holding on to past glories, he's £#%&!ing gone. It's been staring us in the face for 2 £#%&!ing years, he was the root of the defensive issues first half of the season and cost us a trophy with his cowardly keeping last night.

Soon as it went to pens messaged my mate saying we're £#%&!ed as De Gea is a ghost. Can't believe how obvious it was.
https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...postcount=1021

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:55 AM
Coracao

Was the ineptitude on the bench and midfield and attack that cost us last night.

Unread 27-05-2021, 09:59 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

Was the ineptitude on the bench and midfield and attack that cost us last night.
100%

Rashford was shocking. One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen.

Fernandes was gash too. Tbh, I thought mason was alright but he brought him off the thick @#%&!.

They can all get to £#%&! tbh.

Unread 27-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
100%

Rashford was shocking. One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen.

Fernandes was gash too. Tbh, I thought mason was alright but he brought him off the thick @#%&!.

They can all get to £#%&! tbh.
Greenwood was OK. Still needs to involve himself a bit more, but will likely come over the next 18 months. His ability to retain the ball is stark compared to Rashford.