United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-06-2007, 03:57 PM
S/Side.Red

United also made a point of appreciating Tevez after a friendly at Old Trafford against Boca a good few years ago. Ruud was sent into the away dressing room after the match to ask Carlitos for his shirt. Apparently it did leave quite an impression on Tevez as he was still pretty young at the time. Typical Fergie tactic to put down an early marker on a possible future target.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Barracuda

For me Tevez has 'Manchester United' stamped all over him - I think he'd run himself into the ground for us ... a bit like Gatusso is to the Milan fans.

I'm not sure how we'd include him, Rooney and Scholes in this 4-2-3-1 we seem to be moving towards - particularly with Anderson there as well.

One of Rooney or Tevez would have to go left, which one is more suited to that? - which one would be better up front?

I don't think he fits our model as well as Torres would have, but £#%&! it I'd still like to see him here.

However, I also recall Gill being interviewed last summer and asked about Mascherano and Tevez ... He said the club had no interest in Tevez at all, but did have in Mascherano - just not on the terms he was on offer.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:02 PM
legendary saf

Fergie To Grab Tev

United leading race for Argie
By David Woods and Bill Thornton

United are increasingly confident they have won the race to land the striker who almost single-handedly kept West Ham in the top flight, scoring at Old Trafford in the last game of the season.

Talks

Both Milan clubs and Real Madrid have been interested in buying Tevez, who has been rated around £40m by those representing him. United are not willing to anywhere near that but after several rounds of talks it appears a complicated purchase is close to being struck to boost Sir Alex Ferguson's frontline.

Chelsea backed away from pursuing the 23-year-old having had the first option to sign him from last year. Liverpool were also keen to link Tevez again with his Argentine team-mate Javier Mascherano after the pair arrived in England in a controversial deal from Brazilian club Corinthians last summer. Midfielder Mascherano joined Rafa Benitez's outfit in January after a torrid spell at Upton Park but Liverpool have turned their attentions to Fernando Torres of Atletico Madrid.

The Hammers have made major efforts to keep Tevez but he is not keen to carry on playing under Alan Curbishley. This is believed to date back to Curbishley's treatment of him and Mascherano when they first arrived at Upton Park. He was initially dismissive of the striker's ability and never gave Mascherano a chance.

Ferguson who has signed £50m worth of players this summer in Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves, has to raise cash before he can plunge into the market again. The United boss has already earmarked more than £20m in sales with Gabby Heinze off to Real Madrid in a £6.2m move, as exclusively revealed in Starsport last week.

© Daily Star

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/new....html#post8936

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:06 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
United also made a point of appreciating Tevez after a friendly at Old Trafford against Boca a good few years ago. Ruud was sent into the away dressing room after the match to ask Carlitos for his shirt. Apparently it did leave quite an impression on Tevez as he was still pretty young at the time. Typical Fergie tactic to put down an early marker on a possible future target.
I remember that game. Didn't our new £30 million centre back mange to get himself injured and miss the start of the season

Of all the available strikers this summer, Tevez is probably the best on offer. With the way our attacking players interchange during the game, he'd fit in very well. With him and Rooney constantly switching positions (number 9 and 10), they could cause havoc in even the best defences around.

It's just a shame Berbatov isn't available. The way he plays the game is very reminiscent of Eric Cantona - I'd £#%&!ing love to see him at United.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:10 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Fergie To Grab Tev

United leading race for Argie
By David Woods and Bill Thornton

United are increasingly confident they have won the race to land the striker who almost single-handedly kept West Ham in the top flight, scoring at Old Trafford in the last game of the season.

Talks

Both Milan clubs and Real Madrid have been interested in buying Tevez, who has been rated around £40m by those representing him. United are not willing to anywhere near that but after several rounds of talks it appears a complicated purchase is close to being struck to boost Sir Alex Ferguson's frontline.

Chelsea backed away from pursuing the 23-year-old having had the first option to sign him from last year. Liverpool were also keen to link Tevez again with his Argentine team-mate Javier Mascherano after the pair arrived in England in a controversial deal from Brazilian club Corinthians last summer. Midfielder Mascherano joined Rafa Benitez's outfit in January after a torrid spell at Upton Park but Liverpool have turned their attentions to Fernando Torres of Atletico Madrid.

The Hammers have made major efforts to keep Tevez but he is not keen to carry on playing under Alan Curbishley. This is believed to date back to Curbishley's treatment of him and Mascherano when they first arrived at Upton Park. He was initially dismissive of the striker's ability and never gave Mascherano a chance.

Ferguson who has signed £50m worth of players this summer in Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves, has to raise cash before he can plunge into the market again. The United boss has already earmarked more than £20m in sales with Gabby Heinze off to Real Madrid in a £6.2m move, as exclusively revealed in Starsport last week.

© Daily Star

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/new....html#post8936

I hate stories like that.
Because it's a story you'd love to be true you're almost sucked in by it, but it's clearly 2+2=5...complete & utter journo bullshit.
There isn't a single shred of evidence in that story.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
With the way our attacking players interchange during the game, he'd fit in very well. With him and Rooney constantly switching positions (number 9 and 10), they could cause havoc in even the best defences around.
Can you imagine a front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez!

They'd be almost impossible to pin down because they're all so versatile. The pace, movement, ability to interchange. It would be a nightmare for defenders.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:14 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
With him and Rooney constantly switching positions (number 9 and 10), they could cause havoc in even the best defences around.
That would be my dream scenario too. We'd be £#%&!ing irresistable.
Our 'front man' position was never settled last season.
Saha - Ole - Smith - Larsson all had a go & for various reasons couldn't stay in the side for very long.
Tevez has something about him that makes me think he could handle the pressure of playing for United.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:28 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Can you imagine a front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez!

They'd be almost impossible to pin down because they're all so versatile. The pace, movement, ability to interchange. It would be a nightmare for defenders.
Exactly what I was thinking. Serenity mentioned that it would see a reduction in the long ball that we play into the forwards, usually from full back. But Ronaldo can usually take the ball very well on his chest, or header it on. Rooney too is more then able of holding up a high ball, so I can't see it being too much of an issue.

I think having a front three with no orthodox "number 9" could be a very exciting prospect and would love to see it in action. We already have an idea of how it would work - Bolton at home for instance, when Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney were our front three. Or at Highbury in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Tevez has something about him that makes me think he could handle the pressure of playing for United.
I agree, he's definetly a "United" player in both attitude and skill.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it'd be a success. Lets hope it happens!

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
It's that he's a nutter. Nutters usually don't have a problem with pressure.

Tevez 'plays' in that ridiculous band, he mingles with the absolute maddest of the Boca hooligans, he was treated like an outcast in Brazil, and he saw people get shot right outside his window when he was a kid. He's not the sort to let a 'hostile' crowd get to him.

Unread 30-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
It's that he's a nutter. Nutters usually don't have a problem with pressure.

Tevez 'plays' in that ridiculous band, he mingles with the absolute maddest of the Boca hooligans, he was treated like an outcast in Brazil, and he saw people get shot right outside his window when he was a kid. He's not the sort to let a 'hostile' crowd get to him.
was there a story about the loony who ran their firm going into the dressing room after a game, threatening all of them but telling Tevez he could leave as he'd tried his nuts off or something? They're nutters over there mind. You see the Brazilian Dyer escapade? Getting shot at on the bus

Unread 01-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Serenity Now

Tevez can play as the spearhead in a 3 man frontline, he did at the Athens Olympics when Argentina won and he ended up top scorer.

At Boca he usually played as a frontman in a 4-3-1-2 alongside Guillermo Barros Schelotto (5ft 8in) and Chelo Delgado (5ft 6in) and was the key factor driving Boca to a Libertadores and Apertura double in 2003.

I really do think Rooney and Carlitos would work as a two and I believe he could play as the figurehead in a 4-3-3 variant as well. For me, his play with his back to goal is good enough to do it.

As I said before, you wouldn't get as many second balls after a deep pass from the back, which does shut down some attacking opportunities, but the ball over the top would still be very effective (which is also another way to expand the effective size of the pitch). Indeed, this was a key weapon for Boca during Tevez's time there.

And Watcher made a good point in saying that you can still play the diagonal to Ronaldo who will outmatch most fullbacks in the air. A fit Saha would provide a valuable option in this regard as well.

I also think that his defensive work rate would allow us to press higher up the pitch, as we did at home against Roma when Smith ran his socks off up front.

My only major worry was that he would struggle to settle in England, but his time at West Ham has all but negated that concern.

Unread 01-07-2007, 01:23 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Good post Serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I also think that his defensive work rate would allow us to press higher up the pitch, as we did at home against Roma when Smith ran his socks off up front.
I'd really like to see us do that more next season. At times last season, we wouldn't press the ball until it was half way in our own area. Given our midfield, maybe it was necessary. Hopefully, with Hargreaves joining, we'll see that change.

Unread 02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Serenity Now

Carlos Tévez started and ended his West Ham season at the center of controversy over the circumstances of his transfer from Corinthians last August. But no one could question his ultimate impact out on the pitch. World Soccer's Keir Radnedge recently sat down with the Argentine star.

World Soccer: Was it difficult to adjust to English soccer?

Tévez: English soccer has more pace than technique and I always knew I would have to be pretty physical to compete against the defenders I would face. But I think I did pretty well when I had a consistent run in the team, especially at the end of the season, when I started about 10 games. I was helped because, by then, obviously, my teammates knew me much better than at the start of the season. When I first arrived at West Ham, it was like starting my career all over again. I had a big reputation in South America but here, almost nobody had heard of me. I had to prove myself as a player and as a person. Those first two months were awful.

World Soccer: What went so wrong for West Ham at the start?

Tévez: Honestly, it was a big surprise for me because I recognized at once that we had some very good players. I think the fault lay with the entire team -- me included -- because we did not expect to be fighting for survival down near the relegation zone. Thank goodness we cleared our heads in time to get back on the right track and stay in the Premiership.

World Soccer: Was it a problem for you when Javier Mascherano was transferred to Liverpool?

Tévez: It was hard finding myself on my own because Mascherano is not only a terrific teammate but also he and I have been friends ever since we played together in Argentina's Under-20 squad and then with Corinthians in Brazil. But going to Liverpool was the best thing that could have happened for him. He wasn't happy at West Ham; he was really depressed because there was no place in the team for him. I was thrilled that he got to the Champions League final.

World Soccer: How did you get on with the fans?

Tévez: The people are terrific. You can go out and they respect your privacy. It had been five years since I was able to do a simple thing like take my daughter out to the park. In England, very few people come up to you; back home, they really get in your face. You have a lot more peace here because people don't get as worked up as they do in Argentina.

World Soccer: Why do you think the fans took to you the way they did?

Tévez: I think because I play with my heart on my sleeve. That's the sort of person I am. I think the fans appreciated it. I gave 101 percent to every ball I played.

World Soccer: What was the biggest surprise for you about English soccer?

Tévez: Seeing the fans so close to the pitch, close enough to reach out and touch the players, without fences. You couldn't play in Argentina without fences; there would be too much violence.

World Soccer: Why did you jump into the crowd when you scored against Tottenham?

Tévez: It was just that the West Ham fans had been brilliant -- even though Mascherano didn't play much, they always cheered him in the warm-ups or during the game. Then they used to chant my name for me to be brought on as a substitute until the manager gave in. The way I went into the crowd was a big thank you for the support.

World Soccer: Will you stay at West Ham?

Tévez: I don't know. I'm very happy with the Hammers, they've been marvelous to me. I'll never forget the last match of the season, our win at Manchester United, when our fans started chanting: "Argentina! Argentina!" For someone like me who had a relative who fought in the Malvinas [Falklands] and who knows the feeling that existed after the war, it was incredible to hear that chant. I was amazed that I could be an idol for English fans. It made a huge impression on me.

World Soccer: Do you expect to move on to a big club on the Continent -- maybe Real Madrid, if the rumors are to be believed?

Tévez: Moving to Madrid would be exciting but I don't mean anything by that. I would like to play for an important European club. That's what I told my agent and Kia Joorabchian, who is in charge of my transfers. But the priority is what suits West Ham. They've always treated me well. Really, there isn't one club that appeals to me more than any other.

World Soccer: How do you get on with Joorabchian?

Tévez: Kia is el dueno -- the boss -- of my transfers, he influences me a lot in decisions, although we talk about everything and decide between the two of us. He was the one who took me to Corinthians and then to West Ham. But he is also a friend and we spend a lot of time together. He gets on well with my family.

World Soccer: One of the first visits you made when you returned to Buenos Aires was to Diego Maradona's home. How was he?

Tévez: Everyone wishes Diego all the best. He's like a reference point for Argentines and we have to look out for him. But also we must not forget his family, his daughters and his friends. When you're a successful footballer the media flock around you, but Diego is always followed by controversy. I owe a huge amount to Diego because he helped me become what I am today. We should all let him live in peace.

Unread 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Tévez: I don't know. I'm very happy with the Hammers, they've been marvelous to me. I'll never forget the last match of the season, our win at Manchester United, when our fans started chanting: "Argentina! Argentina!" For someone like me who had a relative who fought in the Malvinas [Falklands] and who knows the feeling that existed after the war, it was incredible to hear that chant. I was amazed that I could be an idol for English fans. It made a huge impression on me.

Unread 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM
The Return of JC

United player written all over him.

By this I mean a player we will pay the earth for when we could've had them last year for a fraction of the price.

Unread 02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
United player written all over him.

By this I mean a player we will pay the earth for when we could've had them last year for a fraction of the price.

Unread 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Tévez: Kia is el dueno -- the boss -- of my transfers, he influences me a lot in decisions, although we talk about everything and decide between the two of us. He was the one who took me to Corinthians and then to West Ham. But he is also a friend and we spend a lot of time together. He gets on well with my family.
I really hate reading that. Hopefully Tevez will be the set the example that will dissuade other players from getting involved with @#%&!s like Joorabchian/MSI.

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
naes_sean

My neighbour is from argentina and he says we're signing Tevez.

Hope this helps.

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
I really hate reading that. Hopefully Tevez will be the set the example that will dissuade other players from getting involved with @#%&!s like Joorabchian/MSI.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. If anything, these kind of third party deals are becoming a lot more common in South American football.

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
My neighbour is from argentina and he says we're signing Tevez.

Hope this helps.
He's probably more reliable then the Daily Star!
Closed Thread