United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:06 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
Most people have done the best possible thing in response today - ignored him.
Did Keir Starmer not say the same thing?

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
You not manning the phones at the Samaritans tonight?
best not.

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Did Keir Starmer not say the same thing?
What, that we should have another referendum *before* a GE?

If so, I've certainly missed it.

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:10 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
I donít disagree with the thread of your point which is Ďare remain/the opposition acting in an undemocratic wayí and if you look at in one dimension then you can form that conclusion.

But you should really go back to how and why this started - a horrifically jaundiced anti-eu Press, some but not a huge amount of growing resentment against the eu amongst the public but overwhelmingly, a device to appease the divisions in the Tory party.

You then press a referendum button which asks a ridiculous question that has no real answer and then campaign for brexit on the basis of unprecedented lies and unsubstantiated claims. You also break the law.

Thatís just the bit leading up to the ref. If you marry that altogether then itís not surprising that the system you then seek to operate within gets creeky. Brexit was put forward in a hugely flawed way and everything thatís happened has exacerbated those flaws.

Itís a bit rich to have your cake, eat it all and then start to complain that the sponge was a bit dry.
so, democracy is impossible with an ignorant and disengaged electorate and now is the time for me to bring my tank out of the bunker?

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Albert Tatlock

Kwasi on Andrew Neil right now lying like a real Tory cunt...

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:15 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
What, that we should have another referendum *before* a GE?

If so, I've certainly missed it.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news....ction-11806514

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:18 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Starmer isn't saying the same thing at all, that headline is totally misleading.

Another referendum is 99.999% certain to be in the Labour manifesto if there is an election soon.

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:27 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
I donít disagree with the thread of your point which is Ďare remain/the opposition acting in an undemocratic wayí and if you look at in one dimension then you can form that conclusion.

But you should really go back to how and why this started - a horrifically jaundiced anti-eu Press, some but not a huge amount of growing resentment against the eu amongst the public but overwhelmingly, a device to appease the divisions in the Tory party.

You then press a referendum button which asks a ridiculous question that has no real answer and then campaign for brexit on the basis of unprecedented lies and unsubstantiated claims. You also break the law.

Thatís just the bit leading up to the ref. If you marry that altogether then itís not surprising that the system you then seek to operate within gets creeky. Brexit was put forward in a hugely flawed way and everything thatís happened has exacerbated those flaws.

Itís a bit rich to have your cake, eat it all and then start to complain that the sponge was a bit dry.
The point being, while all the shouty brexit mob are pretending to be the defenders of the will of the people, it was their illegal, deceitful behaviour that would have made the referendum null and void had it been a legal vote, as opposed to advisory. Hypoctites and liars who care not a jot for the will of the people will only and can only damage what passes for democracy in Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex View Post
You're going to be disappointed.

The brexit party and Tories will clean up. People vs parliament. Average voter is exhausted. They'll buy the easy ticket sold by farage.
No, I'm really won't be. You overestimate the pull of the right and underestimate the British electorate.

Last edited by TripDownMiseryLane; 11-09-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
Looks like the Tories have told Farridge to do one.
Classic Cummings misdirection, straight out of the goerbels / putin playbook

Expect the Brexit party to get a cabinet position in the next Tory government

Unread 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Sapien

Yellowhammer time!

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ions_ CDL.pdf