United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM
celtbion

Default The Class of 2007

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....s_of_2007.html

Cathcart being mentioned in same breath as Evans and Gibson.

Rossi perhaps a little further down the pecking order than he once was.

Martin and Simpson also getting big mentions.

Plan seems to be to thrown them in next year.

I expect a cull in the summer of some of the squad players, maybe even a big name or two?

Unread 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM
waynes ear's

rio and ronaldo

Unread 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
rio and ronaldo
I think even if we just held Ronaldo to his current contract and left him walk at the end of it, the commercial revenue from the guy would be worth it.

Talking football for a moment ( ), Ronaldo and Rooney are hopefully just the vanguard of this bunch of kids, a little like Giggs was for the class of 96. Hopefully Ronaldo will see himself at the heart of that.

Rio, however, if we got a hefty bid, might be worth cashing in on at some stage over the next season or two. Simply because the lad Evans is tremendously good.

As for the rest of the kids, there's obviously space enough for Gibson given the central midfield situation and Ferguson might even chance forgoing the opportunity to buy Hargreaves and just throw him in at the deep end.

Simpson, ditto, we've scant cover for Gary Neville anyway so if he's any good he'll get his chance. Martin, too, given Giggs age and how shit Richardson is, should have an opportunity to make the left-sided berth his own.

Rossi has Rooney in front of him but with Ole, Larsson and probably Smith gone and Saha pushing on towards a battered 30 years of age, he'll get his chance too.

Dare I say that Ferguson can't be so lucky that all the holes in the squad are in positions where these kids are emerging?

Unread 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion

I expect a cull in the summer of some of the squad players, maybe even a big name or two?

Forgot to mention Bardsley mate.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Forgot to mention Bardsley mate.
Didn't forget. I just figure myself he's being primed for a move away from Old Trafford altogether unless Simpson has a disaster at Sunderland.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Didn't forget. I just figure myself he's being primed for a move away from Old Trafford altogether unless Simpson has a disaster at Sunderland.

You're spot on, he won't be returning. Though he has played really well in the few matches he has started.

Think Simpson has the edge with his pace. Will be interesting to see how he does at Sunderland.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
You're spot on, he won't be returning. Though he has played really well in the few matches he has started.

Think Simpson has the edge with his pace. Will be interesting to see how he does at Sunderland.

Well, if Bardsley's doing well at Villa, you never know, he could nose back in front. Last chance saloon for him though I reckon. The dressing room bust up with Le Guen has got to stand against him.

Even if Simpson flops, however, I've seen enough from Bardsley to be quite comfortable with the idea of him becoming a regular at Utd.

I'd say Wes is as well off leaving though unless the rumours about his likely difficulties passing a medical are true.

How much do you reckon the likes of him would make in the summer? Could it be another net transfer windfall for Uncey Malc?

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM
MrBishi

I'd hope the way youngsters are introduced changes. Chances at Utd are limited to League Cup games and the odd Champion's League game, after qualifying from the group, over the past few years, otherwise it's off on loan to Antwerp or Barnsley for you lads.

Just one on the bench every couple of games, we've certainly been doing well enough for bring 'em on for some action when two or three up this season. Lost count of the amount of names I've heard being mentioned as the next big thing only to never recieve a chance.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
I'd hope the way youngsters are introduced changes. Chances at Utd are limited to League Cup games and the odd Champion's League game, after qualifying from the group, over the past few years, otherwise it's off on loan to Antwerp or Barnsley for you lads.

Just one on the bench every couple of games, we've certainly been doing well enough for bring 'em on for some action when two or three up this season. Lost count of the amount of names I've heard being mentioned as the next big thing only to never recieve a chance.

Speaking for myself, I'm a lot more confident in this crop. I remember watching them last year in the reserves together and they were playing nicer football than the first team. Lads like Gibson, Rossi and Evans in particular just shone through. I'd say they're better than many of the guys currently in the first team squad already like.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi

If we give a young player a chance it should be with the rest of the first team around them. It is the only way to be fair to them, give them a chance to find their feet before expecting great things from them.

Problem is that the pressure to succeed every week is so great that you cna not take too many gambles. Arsenal have had a chance to do it this season and even then it is one player at a time outside the league cup.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
If we give a young player a chance it should be with the rest of the first team around them. It is the only way to be fair to them, give them a chance to find their feet before expecting great things from them.

Problem is that the pressure to succeed every week is so great that you cna not take too many gambles. Arsenal have had a chance to do it this season and even then it is one player at a time outside the league cup.
Winning the league this year would give Ferguson a little bit of breathing room to bring these lads through.

It's vital we bring down the age of the squad, Arsenal have already stolen a march on us for title challenges over the next couple of seasons.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Winning the league this year would give Ferguson a little bit of breathing room to bring these lads through.

It's vital we bring down the age of the squad, Arsenal have already stolen a march on us for title challenges over the next couple of seasons.
We have to win the league this year, the window of opportunity with this squad is limited given the age of Giggs, Scholes, Neville and VDS. It is unlikely they will contribute as much next season.

What worries me is that if Rossi is not going to make then i struggle to see any of the others doing so, at least from the attacking players. He was that good in the reserves, a class apart really. Lee Martin is a decent player, but i see nothing in his game to suggest he can be a top premiership player, Frazier Campbell could be a decent player if he improves his all round game, Gibson is a bit slow, lovely passer and striker of a ball though.

Pique, Simpson and Evans look to have the best chance for me.

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:56 PM
celtbion

Quote:
We have to win the league this year, the window of opportunity with this squad is limited given the age of Giggs, Scholes, Neville and VDS. It is unlikely they will contribute as much next season.

What worries me is that if Rossi is not going to make then i struggle to see any of the others doing so, at least from the attacking players. He was that good in the reserves, a class apart really. Lee Martin is a decent player, but i see nothing in his game to suggest he can be a top premiership player, Frazier Campbell could be a decent player if he improves his all round game, Gibson is a bit slow, lovely passer and striker of a ball though.

Pique, Simpson and Evans look to have the best chance for me.

Ah, Jesus, no, I think Gibson was the one above all that stood out for me. He's an extraordinary player for his age. It's not just the obvious stuff like his range of passing, shooting etc, it's that the guy has great awareness of when to play the simple pass and has that great art of instinctively knowing how to shape an attack from the midfield conducting role.

I think himself and Carrick could be something quite special in terms of their passing ability. Maybe could do with a bit more urgency but we'd be serious players with those two in tandem I reckon.

Unread 08-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Ah, Jesus, no, I think Gibson was the one above all that stood out for me. He's an extraordinary player for his age. It's not just the obvious stuff like his range of passing, shooting etc, it's that the guy has great awareness of when to play the simple pass and has that great art of instinctively knowing how to shape an attack from the midfield conducting role.

I think himself and Carrick could be something quite special in terms of their passing ability. Maybe could do with a bit more urgency but we'd be serious players with those two in tandem I reckon.
He is lovely passer of a ball, but I rarely saw him make a run forward. He and Carrick play in a very similar way, deep lying playmakers, just wonder if he could deal with the pace of the premiership, because when i have seen him, he likes a lot of time on the ball, can be a bit ponderous at times. Hopefully that is a wrong impression.

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
celtbion

Quote:
He is lovely passer of a ball, but I rarely saw him make a run forward. He and Carrick play in a very similar way, deep lying playmakers, just wonder if he could deal with the pace of the premiership, because when i have seen him, he likes a lot of time on the ball, can be a bit ponderous at times. Hopefully that is a wrong impression.
Well, look at Gerrard, the all-action, goalscoring midfielder. Second touch is either a tackle or a half volley. Club manager sticking him out wide right because he doesn't trust him to do the simple things in the middle.

Gibson is a classier player than Carrick but I don't think those two guys together would be bad at all. If you take the focus off Keane as the tough tackling midfielder, most of what he did was playing the metronome from deep midfield and breaking forward when necessary. Carrick is adding that to his game and I think Gibson has shown plenty of that. Seem to remember one superb burst from him up the right flank against Celtic pre-season, produced a peach of a cross from the byline to boot. Rooney would enjoy playing in front of them as well I reckon. Would get over Jem's wish to see him play in midfield when he could have that attacking midfield space to himself essentially.

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Sam the Sanitary Man

Quote:

Wasnt his mum head of cleaning on Hi De Hi?

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Tropical

Default How

Quote:
It is 12 years now since Fergie controversially broke up the 1994 Dream Team and gave those youngsters a chance.

Initial scepticism was replaced with jubilation as United scooped the 1996 double, winning the Premiership and FA Cup.

Now, the United boss is preparing to do the same again.
very conveniently thrifty.

There's some decent talent in there. But as a group, "fledgelings" they £#%&!in' ain't.

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Luffy

Rossi is going to make it ffs!! Put it this way, Ole currently has a decent place in our squad and will do so for a couple seasons right?

Rossi is already better than Ole all round and would be worth at least a place on the bench.

On the various occasions Rossi has partnered Saha, Rossi has often looked the better and more dangerous player if not every time.

Rossi outplays Alan Smith every single time they play together.

Get the picture? He is already showing he has as much ability as our strikers, he is just being groomed with experience, maturity and also we're making use of the squad players we have.

Smith is being frozen out, Larsson will not be here next year and Ole will be that closer to his coaching role. Rossi will be making plenty of appearances next season.

I would certainly agree with ditching say 6 crapy players and leaving some places in the squad open for the youngsters.

problem is, even if we do that, if our squad is 22 players, our most senior players will be making up the bench almost every game anyways. you cant completely drop Brown or Silvestre just so you can give Evans a spot on the bench. but do you sell someone like Brown? Hell no.

Unread 09-02-2007, 12:03 AM
neworder

Simpson ey?

Unread 09-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Tropical

Default Suit yourself.

I haven't forgotten the friendly against Celtic, not the friendly against Ajax - both of which were heartening to watch; and both of which were, um, friendlies.

As I already acknowledged, I see some talent in there. But I don't see the core of a world-beating side - which is what the "fledgelings" proved to be. (The core, that is, not the side.)

And the cynicism over potential thriftiness is not mine. It belongs to those who stuck £700m of debt on the club.
Closed Thread