United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-09-2017, 02:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The football was shite after Xmas too. Don't know any United fans who disagreed tbh.
Possibly, but I think that was more down to Mourinho's realisation that he couldn't rely on anyone other than Ibrahimovic to score goals, and when he was having howler we were £#%&!ed. He became much more pragmatic after that, but it was clear from day one what type of football he wanted to play and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Unread 15-09-2017, 02:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Possibly, but I think that was more down to Mourinho's realisation that he couldn't rely on anyone other than Ibrahimovic to score goals, and when he was having howler we were £#%&!ed. He became much more pragmatic after that, but it was clear from day one what type of football he wanted to play and it was like a breath of fresh air.
Yep, and we ended the season scoring fewer goals than Bournemouth.

One thing I'd never take away from Mou is his PR skill.

Unread 15-09-2017, 02:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
Yep, and we ended the season scoring fewer goals than Bournemouth.

One thing I'd never take away from Mou is his PR skill.
Which is to imply that I can't make my own mind up and just lap up whatever shit he shovels. This is why these things drag on and on....

Unread 15-09-2017, 06:48 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelof
Im not jumping on anyone's dick, I just find your pro LVG stance baffling with what is going on with the club at the moment.

The reason you haven't noticed me is because your head is so far up your own arse.

Unread 15-09-2017, 07:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I find it incredibly disappointing that Ferguson and Charlton both preferred to hand the future of United into the hands of Giggs to suit their own personal interest. And these are the ones who are supposed to have our backs in a club filled with commercial and profiteering £#%&!ers.
I can - sadly - believe this given how they foisted Gollum on us, but is there any real evidence?

Unread 16-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I can - sadly - believe this given how they foisted Gollum on us, but is there any real evidence?
No taped recordings. I'm just going off what people like redeye have reported over the past 5 years or so.

Unread 16-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Don't really agree.

Pretty much nobody who supported LvG disagreed about the quality of the football. I think many people simply felt that blaming LvG for everything was too neat. And I have to go back to it - the fact that his replacement broke the world transfer record and finished 6th in the league patently supports that notion.

5th with the worst injury crisis we have seen is indefensible. 6th the following year is progress.
The squad wasn't great in LVG's time here. The problem is he sold the wrong players and also bought a lot of garbage.

He did some good things and some bad things, just like Mourinho in his first season.

Both Mourinho and LVG have spent a lot but most of Mourinho's buys have been a lot better so far. Although it's hard to imagine Mourinho buying someone like Martial, who has phenomenal potential.

Unread 16-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Clarkie

Love how Siders ignores two trophies and a return to CL football.

Fake news? Fake football!

Unread 16-09-2017, 10:56 AM
lindelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie

Don't even waste your time, pal...

Unread 16-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelof
Don't even waste your time, pal...
Meh.. It's Saturday, I'm hungover, nowhere is serving me until 1 so I may as well pass the time

Unread 16-09-2017, 01:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Which is to imply that I can't make my own mind up and just lap up whatever shit he shovels. This is why these things drag on and on....
No, but you mentioned Mourinho's statement of intent when he arrived. He's extremely good at galvanising his public. Often he says things I think he knows full well aren't true, but he takes people with him. There was already a bounce when he came in because the previous man was so unpopular, and I think Mou has said all the right things to prolong it.

I just think as time went by, it was often a lot more hype than reality. Most neutrals have United down as a goalscoring threat but by far the more pragmatic and reactive of the title challengers. The vibe within United seems a little different; that's what he's always been good at.

Van Gaal's pr skills were terrible in comparison. Didn't stick up for himself nearly enough.

Quote:

It was appreciated. Love being back in the CL. Just didn't think either was tangible evidence of the team's progess. Especially given how bad we were at Wembley and the hard work we made of Celta, Anderlecht. The win over Chelsea I think was the more emphatic statement in the latter stages of the season.

Unread 16-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Buck

Swap Dan for Siders and that's half of Clarkie's posts

Unread 16-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

Swap Dan for Siders and that's half of Clarkie's posts

Unread 16-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
No, but you mentioned Mourinho's statement of intent when he arrived. He's extremely good at galvanising his public. Often he says things I think he knows full well aren't true, but he takes people with him. There was already a bounce when he came in because the previous man was so unpopular, and I think Mou has said all the right things to prolong it.

I just think as time went by, it was often a lot more hype than reality. Most neutrals have United down as a goalscoring threat but by far the more pragmatic and reactive of the title challengers. The vibe within United seems a little different; that's what he's always been good at.

Van Gaal's pr skills were terrible in comparison. Didn't stick up for himself nearly enough.

It was appreciated. Love being back in the CL. Just didn't think either was tangible evidence of the team's progess. Especially given how bad we were at Wembley and the hard work we made of Celta, Anderlecht. The win over Chelsea I think was the more emphatic statement in the latter stages of the season.
Agree about Jose's PR. He reminds me of Fergie in the sense that everything he says is basically bullshit and geared towards serving the team.

Disagree about neutrals having us down as a threat. Less so now, but we were (rightly) criticised last season for a lack of goals other than Zlatan and the usual boring 'park the bus' jibes were thrown around any time Jose deployed an actual game plan based on your opponents strengths and weaknesses.

As the season wore on, he undoubtedly reverted to pragmatism. I think partly because its a strength of his, partly because he didn't trust a lot of the squad and partly because the season's basic requirements were under threat.

But he got it. As he usually does. A little like LvG in his first season: he did just enough. The problem for Lvg was we regressed in his second season. If we're into March this season, chasing 4th spot and lumping up to fellaini again then Jose will deserve all the shit he'll get.

LVG isn't the most comfortable with the press at the best of times and I think his English was limited enough that he could never fully express himself. As you say, he was always on the back foot and should have fought his corner more.

And £#%&! me, he deserved better than being binned off immediately after a cup final win and being booed on the steps

Unread 16-09-2017, 02:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Tbh Siders, I'm £#%&!ed. 3 hours sleep, I'm after travelling home half way across Ireland, after one of the worst nights I've ever had out... Please find it understandable that my focus is on crisps and p*** at the moment
Ok pal. Although we are still on the same day you wrote that post mentioning me etc.

Unread 16-09-2017, 02:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Agree about Jose's PR. He reminds me of Fergie in the sense that everything he says is basically bullshit and geared towards serving the team.

Disagree about neutrals having us down as a threat. Less so now, but we were (rightly) criticised last season for a lack of goals other than Zlatan and the usual boring 'park the bus' jibes were thrown around any time Jose deployed an actual game plan based on your opponents strengths and weaknesses.

As the season wore on, he undoubtedly reverted to pragmatism. I think partly because its a strength of his, partly because he didn't trust a lot of the squad and partly because the season's basic requirements were under threat.

But he got it. As he usually does. A little like LvG in his first season: he did just enough. The problem for Lvg was we regressed in his second season. If we're into March this season, chasing 4th spot and lumping up to fellaini again then Jose will deserve all the shit he'll get.

LVG isn't the most comfortable with the press at the best of times and I think his English was limited enough that he could never fully express himself. As you say, he was always on the back foot and should have fought his corner more.

And £#%&! me, he deserved better than being binned off immediately after a cup final win and being booed on the steps
As you know, I didn't like his treatment in general. A lot of ignorance involved. If he'd achieved what he has in his career in England he'd never have been talked about the way he was. But as you say he should have fought his corner. Both Fergie and Mourinho know the importance of the image you project. For me Van Gaal was often misunderstood, but partly because he didn't address things well enough.

Just to clarify about the goal threat issue, what I meant is this team looks able to punish sides, especially on the break. I think everyone is wary of how dangerous a Mourinho team is once they've got their noses ahead. But the other contenders are seen as more attractive sides. That feels unusual for United, but it isn't much of an issue internally. Of course our standards for or football have dropped a lot over the last few years, which plays a part.

Unread 16-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
As you know, I didn't like his treatment in general. A lot of ignorance involved. If he'd achieved what he has in his career in England he'd never have been talked about the way he was. But as you say he should have fought his corner. Both Fergie and Mourinho know the importance of the image you project. For me Van Gaal was often misunderstood, but partly because he didn't address things well enough.

Just to clarify about the goal threat issue, what I meant is this team looks able to punish sides, especially on the break. I think everyone is wary of how dangerous a Mourinho team is once they've got their noses ahead. But the other contenders are seen as more attractive sides. That feels unusual for United, but it isn't much of an issue internally. Of course our standards for or football have dropped a lot over the last few years, which plays a part.
Aye. Agree with all of that.

LVG was treated poorly in general. The 'difficult' reputation seemed to follow him straight through the door and if you don't pander to them, they'll be on to you. Probably not helped by the likes of Klopp coming in and charming everyone with his wacky antics.

It was right that he went and the buck stops with him and all that....but I did/do like the guy and really wanted it to work for him.

Unread 16-09-2017, 03:21 PM
My Name is Keith

Popped into see if it had got interesting only to see loads of big ass multi-para 'you do have a point' posts. £#%&! thatzzzzzzzz. Lates.

Unread 16-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Popped into see if it had got interesting only to see loads of big ass multi-para 'you do have a point' posts. £#%&! thatzzzzzzzz. Lates.
All very boring.

Agreed pal..

Unread 16-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Tbf Clarks lad, you do be on him like a dog on a squirrel. Can't be asking the squirrel to then take it easy when it completely takes the piss.
Dogs hate Squirrels?!

Quote:
Ok pal. Although we are still on the same day you wrote that post mentioning me etc.
True. Was before I hit the wall though. Waiting on a second wind before I come striking back. Be prepared
Closed Thread