United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-03-2008, 07:55 AM
utd for ever

Default Manchester United eye £8million striker

06:39 March, 17, 2008
Manchester United Football Club are keen on Luis Fabiano.

The 27-year-old is fighting United’s Cristiano Ronaldo this season for the European Golden Boot award, after finding the back of the net 20 times from just 19 La Liga starts for Sevilla.

Sir Alex Ferguson has reportedly had the Brazilian watched on several occasions this term, and he has seen enough to make him a target for when the summer transfer window opens.

Real Madrid are also keen on Fabiano, who is also owned by Global Sports Investment, but the Reds will fight the Bernabeu giants all the way for a player who could be available for as little as £8million.

Any good....

Unread 17-03-2008, 08:07 AM
roon78

yes

Unread 17-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Whalefish

I'm not sure I could stomach another club/investment group transfer wrangle.

Would be happy if Utd go for someone like Mario Gomez but Fabiano's a good player.

Still think we should be looking at signing Ashton though. Dangerous and dynamic that lad.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:19 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I'm not sure I could stomach another club/investment group transfer wrangle.

Would be happy if Utd go for someone like Mario Gomez but Fabiano's a good player.

Still think we should be looking at signing Ashton though. Dangerous and dynamic that lad.
nearly as injury prone as saha

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:30 AM
S/Side.Red

We've already done the Fabiano chat on another thread.

What I think we need is a squad player, rather than someone who is at an age where he'll want to play all the time because he's in his prime (Fabiano) or need to play each week to develop (Gomez). Perhaps this rules out Benzema, too. We've seen the problems caused at Barca by overloading yourself with world-class attacking options. It may well prove impossible to keep Tevez, Rooney and another top class forward happy.

A Vucinic-type signing may well be the way to go.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:33 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
We've already done the Fabiano chat on another thread.

What I think we need is a squad player, rather than someone who is at an age where he'll want to play all the time because he's in his prime (Fabiano) or need to play each week to develop (Gomez). Perhaps this rules out Benzema, too. We've seen the problems caused at Barca by overloading yourself with world-class attacking options. It may well prove impossible to keep Tevez, Rooney and another top class forward happy.

don't forget manucho

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
nearly as injury prone as saha
I was taking the piss.

And S/Side, agree re Vucinic. As I mentioned in another thread I like what I've seen of him to date.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:36 AM
S/Side.Red

Surely Manucho won't get a work permit on a special talent rule simply by banging in a few goals in Greece?

Where was he yesterday, by the way? Panathinaikos didn't include him in their squad for their match with Xanthi. Needless to say they subsequently lost and relinquished leadership of the league in his absence.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:37 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
I was taking the piss.

And S/Side, agree re Vucinic. As I mentioned in another thread I like what I've seen of him to date.
ashton really would be a decent alternative if he wasn't so injury prone, good player

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:38 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Surely Manucho won't get a work permit on a special talent rule simply by banging in a few goals in Greece?

Where was he yesterday, by the way? Panathinaikos didn't include him in their squad for their match with Xanthi. Needless to say they subsequently lost and relinquished leadership of the league in his absence.
fergie is confident that he will get his work permit, looks a decent prospect and offers something a little different, also will be happy to be a squad player.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:

That's my feeling too. Although if you have the opportunity to sign someone with Benzema's ability, I think you have to take it and then consider the consequences afterwards.

Incidentally, I haven't seen anything of Gomez. Ever. How good is he? Looks pretty handy on YouTube.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:47 AM
MUFC One Love

Never heard of Gomez, could somebody shed some light on him.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Never heard of Gomez, could somebody shed some light on him.
Mario Gomez. 22-years old. Spanish father, German mother. Plays for Stuttgart. Striker. Reigning German footballer of the year. 14 goals in 25 appearances in the Bundesliga last season, 14 in 18 so far this time round.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Whalefish

Always looks a handful in the games I've seen and knows where the goal is. Strong bastard too so would be able to link the play and wouldn't have a problem playing against the less cultured defenders you find in England.

German player of the year in 06/07 and has continued his good form this season.

Oh, he's a big tall player who can head the ball - something we're lacking at times.

That said I do wonder if he'd arrive expecting a starting spot. I think we'll have to be careful who we buy in the Summer. They need to be part of a pool of strikers and be happy with it. No slapped arses please.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:53 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Incidentally, I haven't seen anything of Gomez. Ever. How good is he? Looks pretty handy on YouTube.
This could come back to haunt me if he’s as good as the German press like to make out, but I’m sceptical. I’m no Stuttgart fan so don’t exactly watch him every week, but despite the fact that after a good season last year he's been scoring lots of goals for an average Stuttgart side this season, from what I've seen he lacks the technical ability of a true top class player. Not sure he's the quickest either. Similar to Huntelaar. Yes he’s scoring lots of goals but when I’ve seen him nothing screams ‘superstar’ like with Benzema, for instance.

Seems a good natural goalscorer with a good work ethic and movement, just doesn’t strike me as United/Real Madrid/Barca quality, which are some of the clubs he’s been linked with.

Be interesting to see him this summer.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Whalefish

Don't think we need a superstar tbh and there's going to be no opportunity to sign Benzema in the Summer. When he does go, we all know where he'll be heading and it won't be to OT.

Vucinic would do me.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:55 AM
borsuk

if we're going fishing in germany diego would be a better option. expensive, though. i'm assuming we're looking to play 3 behind one rather than two up front, of course.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
if we're going fishing in germany diego would be a better option. expensive, though.
To play up front?

Just agreed personal terms with Madrid apparently.

Unread 17-03-2008, 10:58 AM
borsuk

Quote:
To play up front?

Just agreed personal terms with Madrid apparently.
just edited it so it makes sense

shame - great player.

Unread 17-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Whalefish

Agree, but would rather see us sign someone that would allow Rooney to play a bit deeper from time to time.
Closed Thread