United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:01 PM
utd99

Robson wasn't in his prime when he played for Fergie otherwise he would be top. Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper in the world, so unless Fergie's definition excludes absolutely everyone then he should be in that list.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Robson wasn't in his prime when he played for Fergie otherwise he would be top. Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper in the world, so unless Fergie's definition excludes absolutely everyone then he should be in that list.
Fergie seems to be a bit fixated on attacking players, but that was his balls out style. Robson would be top? Err great player but Ronaldo apparently is quite good.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:13 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Smirking Revenge
he's ruining hhis own legacy offs - and after the way he backed the glazers there's not as much left as he thinks.
It’s utterly meaningless to all but a very vocal minority on forums and a couple of thousand who now watch a non league team. His achievements in the sport & at Manchester United will be the stuff of legend long after the Glazers are forgotten.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
It’s utterly meaningless to all but a very vocal minority on forums and a couple of thousand who now watch a non league team. His achievements in the sport & at Manchester United will be the stuff of legend long after the Glazers are forgotten.
Apart from becoming Liverpool's new manager and winning the treble there is literally nothing he could do to ruin his United legacy.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Quote:
Just because enough people don't know about it doesn't make it any less important. IT still taints his time at the club, no matter how recognised.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:27 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Just because enough people don't know about it doesn't make it any less important. IT still taints his time at the club, no matter how recognised.
Winning another five titles & a European Cup with teams led by the likes of Rooney & Ronaldo under the Glazer ownership was a real low moment in his career, nqat

Stay frosty chief.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Zorg

Quote:
IT still taints his time at the club, no matter how recognised.
Insisted on Windows 7 throughout the cub apparently :shakehead:

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:39 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Insisted on Windows 7 throughout the cub apparently :shakehead:
it's the only area where moyes was ahead of him.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:47 PM
teflon_terry

Does anybody else find endless discussions about who is or isn't world class incredibly tedious?

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:52 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_terry
Does anybody else find endless discussions about who is or isn't world class incredibly tedious?
no not really. I love 'who was the better player' debates. But this conversation would be improved 10 fold if throb was involved.

Unread 22-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Arnold Muhren

No Keane, Rio or Schmeichel? Put the bottle down Frogleson. I loved Eric but never had him down as proper world class. Robson you could argue had his best United years before Fergie but Keane, Rio and Schmeichel? Genuine world class players.

Unread 22-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Quote:
Winning another five titles & a European Cup with teams led by the likes of Rooney & Ronaldo under the Glazer ownership was a real low moment in his career, nqat

Stay frosty chief.
I can see my point has gone right over you head

He could've won another 25 titles, and no one is doubting his achievements on the pitch.

Had he stood up against the glazers and spoken out then in all likelyhood they wouldn't be here now as the board would've voted differntly. But not only did he not he actively supported them.

then there's the M&M mess that got us there in the first place.

No amount of titles can erase that. That's like saying someone is a total and complete c*** and punches kids but he lent me a tenner so i'll let him off. That's not how life works.

I didn't say people won't forgive him, or that he's £#%&!ed, i said that they've tainted his legacy with a lot of people, and you can't really argue against that.

Unread 22-09-2015, 02:19 PM
jem

Quote:
That's like saying someone is a total and complete c*** and punches kids but he lent me a tenner so i'll let him off. That's not how life works.
:shakehead:

know your audience, jsrers.... know your audience.

Unread 22-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
:shakehead:

know your audience, jsrers.... know your audience.
fair point.

Unread 22-09-2015, 02:30 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
I didn't say people won't forgive him, or that he's £#%&!ed, i said that they've tainted his legacy with a lot of people, and you can't really argue against that.
No it hasn't. Only with a number so small that they’re essentially meaningless.

Thanks for the counterfactual history of United post 2005 btw.

Unread 22-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Quote:
No it hasn't. Only with a number so small that they’re essentially meaningless.

Thanks for the counterfactual history of United post 2005 btw.
you'd be surprised, a hell of a lot of people i know that knew football existed pre '92 share the same sentiment. There's also been a few media reports about how united fans view him differently post glazers as well. Small or not, it's enough to matter. And with the majority of them being match going and dyed-in-wool-reds that will be here long after the JCLs have become city fans, it will be remembered.

Unread 22-09-2015, 03:00 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
you'd be surprised, a hell of a lot of people i know that knew football existed pre '92 share the same sentiment. There's also been a few media reports about how united fans view him differently post glazers as well. Small or not, it's enough to matter. And with the majority of them being match going and dyed-in-wool-reds that will be here long after the JCLs have become city fans, it will be remembered.
According to the club's own research on social media etc, there are approximately 650 million United supporters worldwide. A conservative estimate imo but acceptable. What's the average gate at FC? Around 2000? So let's say there are 5000 of these wonderful pre-92, match going, dyed-in-wool, it’s a barm reds etc. That's 0.000769% of the club's current support that get worked up about Fergie happily working under the Glazer ownership. They’re little more than a statistical anomaly. As most of these characters are older reds, they'll start dying off pretty soon. We've probably already passed peak 'anti Fergie' sentiment tbh.

Unread 22-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
6000 people tops actually know exactly want went on...1000 didn't care the year later 06, another 1000 odd couldn't give a £#%&! come 08....

Time killed off a few more

Probably under 1000 reds think Fergie has tarnished his whole legacy over the Glazers

Unread 22-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Doctor Hver

For me the best player during the entry Ferguson era was Eric Cantona, far as I'm concerned, if you consider his entry time in England the guy won the league 5 times out of 6. Only time he didn't win was when he got banned. The mind blow he won the league with Leeds United.

Unread 22-09-2015, 03:14 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hver
For me the best player during the entry Ferguson era was Eric Cantona, far as I'm concerned, if you consider his entry time in England the guy won the league 5 times out of 6. Only time he didn't win was when he got banned. The mind blow he won the league with Leeds United.
Looking forward to Tiberian’s post explaining why Cantona wasn't as good as Forlan tbh.
Closed Thread