United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Smurf

Default Re: World Cup Fascinating Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Both Wales (1958) and Norn Iron (1958, 1982) have progressed to the second round of fixtures each time they've qualified, something that Scotland have never done in eight attempts.
Also Rep of Ire 90, 94, 2002.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I remember the commentary for that Cameroon v Argentina game in 1990, some absolutely brutal challenges going in from Cameroon and it was passed over as 'aww bless em, a tad over-enthusiastic....to be expected really"
Wasn't that the game where Ron Atkinson said when they scored "They'll be celebrating that in the trees back home" or words to that effect?

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Both Wales (1958) and Norn Iron (1958, 1982) have progressed to the second round of fixtures each time they've qualified, something that Scotland have never done in eight attempts.
Norn Iron didn't get out of the group stages in 1986.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Wasn't that the game where Ron Atkinson said when they scored "They'll be celebrating that in the trees back home" or words to that effect?
No way?

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
No way?
It might be an urban myth if you've not heard that before then. I thought it was common knowledge.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
no fun

Quote:
I think you will find that was Prince Philip

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM
signed dc

Quote:
"all he did was make a harmless remark about a witchdoctor"...

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
No way?
Ron Atkinson & Cameroon Trees

Former Manchester United and Aston Villa manager Ron Atkinson has been disgraced and ostracised in the United Kingdom following a racist comment directed at ex-Chelsea star Marcel Desailly a few years ago.

In 1990 while commentating on England’s quarter final against Cameroon, Big Ron also uttered some controversial comments - only that time he escaped without punishment.

Atkinson first described a Cameroon player as "absolutely brainless", then added off-air: "I'll only get into trouble if his mother's back home watching the game sitting up a tree."

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:

Former Manchester United and Aston Villa manager Ron Atkinson has been disgraced and ostracised in the United Kingdom following a racist comment directed at ex-Chelsea star Marcel Desailly a few years ago.

In 1990 while commentating on England’s quarter final against Cameroon, Big Ron also uttered some controversial comments - only that time he escaped without punishment.

Atkinson first described a Cameroon player as "absolutely brainless", then added off-air: "I'll only get into trouble if his mother's back home watching the game sitting up a tree."
ie - no confirmation exists that he ever said it.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
dunk

Quote:

Have you not broken a commandment there?

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Have you not broken a commandment there?
Indeed but I broke the law due to common decency. Whatever Roger Miller's mum looked like, I'm sure she was about 70 at the time.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
dunk

Quote:
Indeed but I broke the law due to common decency. Whatever Roger Miller's mum looked like, I'm sure she was about 70 at the time.
I was on about the Article or part of article without a link, so, I suppose that is two, technically.

You're going to hell

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
I was showing scholes jnr the milla shuffle on saturday night after a few beers watching the official film of the 1990 world cup

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy

Something like that!

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf
David Beckham will not be at the world cup, but nonetheless will be in every Ad you see.
Ian Wright, surely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf
Also Rep of Ire 90, 94, 2002.
Imperialist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Norn Iron didn't get out of the group stages in 1986.
Shush, you.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Switching Off

Sir Bobby Robson has a win ratio of 40% in the World Cup finals as a mangaer. His ratio is 20% is you only count normal time.

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter
germany have not missed a penalty in a shootout since 1990
Actually since 1982 sir.

They have scored 17 of 18 penalties in World Cups and top the shoot out table unsurprisingly.

England are bottom losing all 3 shoot outs scoring 7 from 14.

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up Re: World Cup Fascinating Facts

It is widely believed that at some point over the next 20 years, FIFA will award the hosting of the tournament to an African nation.

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
It is widely believed that at some point over the next 20 years, FIFA will award the hosting of the tournament to an African nation.
According to Pele, an African nation should of won it by now (I think).

Mind you, didn't he back Colombia in '94?

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:33 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
According to Pele, an African nation should of won it by now (I think).

Mind you, didn't he back Colombia in '94?
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wor...le-predictions

I'm sure I remember a quote attributed to him where he suggested five or six different teams that would make the quarters
Closed Thread