United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2020, 05:36 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
I think the point is we would be giving a league 1 standard manager 3+ years.

At least give someone who knows what they are doing the time to rebuild and not take what would be a huge gamble on a nobody (in manager terms) that time to make things right.
How long did you want to give Jose? Or is he not good enough?

Unread 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
How long did you want to give Jose? Or is he not good enough?
It’s a good question and the obvious caveat to the 3+ years thing; of course you should also be aware of the progress (or not) that you’re making within the 3 years and project out, because if we’re on the wrong path, which i believe we were under Mourinho, then it would be madness to just keep going. This is why 3+ years is a guideline not a plan that’s set in stone.

I thought Mourinho was the right hire. I also thought it would take him about three years to get us competing again. As it turned out he got 2.5 years, and at the time of his dismissal we were clearly regressing rather than progressing, so what would have been the point? He bought a lot of players for a lot of money, and pretty much fell out with all of them, or couldn’t get a game out of them.

Unread 06-01-2020, 06:44 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It’s a good question and the obvious caveat to the 3+ years thing; of course you should also be aware of the progress (or not) that you’re making within the 3 years and project out, because if we’re on the wrong path, which i believe we were under Mourinho, then it would be madness to just keep going. This is why 3+ years is a guideline not a plan that’s set in stone.

I thought Mourinho was the right hire. I also thought it would take him about three years to get us competing again. As it turned out he got 2.5 years, and at the time of his dismissal we were clearly regressing rather than progressing, so what would have been the point? He bought a lot of players for a lot of money, and pretty much fell out with all of them, or couldn’t get a game out of them.
Correct, or at least 80% of United fans would agree that to be a fair assessment of Mourinho's time here.

Ole's got rid of Fellaini, looks like binning off Lingard and Smalling, yet still gets the hatred from impatient people. He's addressed key places in the squad where there were gaps. The summer window went well but I feel like he got Edded - offloaded Lukaku and Sanchez but was then beaten by the buzzer before he could bring in an experienced forward.

For that reason alone, I think we have to stick with Ole until Woodward is restricted to commercial duties and we get a proper Director of Football who directly reports in to the Glazers (assuming no other buyers).

Unread 06-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Chester Road

Quote:
Correct, or at least 80% of United fans would agree that to be a fair assessment of Mourinho's time here.

Ole's got rid of Fellaini, looks like binning off Lingard and Smalling, yet still gets the hatred from impatient people. He's addressed key places in the squad where there were gaps. The summer window went well but I feel like he got Edded - offloaded Lukaku and Sanchez but was then beaten by the buzzer before he could bring in an experienced forward.

For that reason alone, I think we have to stick with Ole until Woodward is restricted to commercial duties and we get a proper Director of Football who directly reports in to the Glazers (assuming no other buyers).

how very top Red of you....his record is worse than Moyes he needs to go

Unread 06-01-2020, 06:47 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Road
how very top Red of you....his record is worse than Moyes he needs to go
Who do you want in? Hint: they're not going to win the title for a couple of years and Woodward still calls the shots.

Unread 06-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Chester Road

Quote:
Who do you want in? Hint: they're not going to win the title for a couple of years and Woodward still calls the shots.
I want someone who is able to motive and coach the shit@#%&!s so we don't lose to Bournemouth, West Ham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Watford, etc

the 'football' inflicted upon us in the last year has been as bad as peak Moyes and Van Gaal

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
I want someone who is able to motive and coach the shit@#%&!s so we don't lose to Bournemouth, West Ham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Watford, etc

the 'football' inflicted upon us in the last year has been as bad as peak Moyes and Van Gaal
He's inherited a terrible squad, with Mourinho unbelievably keeping worse players than he got rid of. Give him a chance.

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:13 PM
Chester Road

Quote:
He's inherited a terrible squad, with Mourinho unbelievably keeping worse players than he got rid of
Solskjaer has kept Jones, Lingard, Pereira (all got huge new contracts) Shaw, Mata and Matic....not one of them should be anywhere near a first team squad at United,

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Solskjaer has kept Jones, Lingard, Pereira (all got huge new contracts) Shaw, Mata and Matic....not one of them should be anywhere near a first team squad at United,
Lingard hasn't had a new contract.

Matic and Mata combined have made 9 starts this season, they're not exactly first choice are they.

Even then, we only have 6 midfielders and you have said 4 shouldn't be near the first team. If Ole was sacked and someone else brought in, those players will still be playing.

He's got rid of some shit, and more will follow. But it's a bit hard to get rid when you cannot get replacements in.

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM
utd99

Quote:
And eventually they won’t be. You can’t sell 15 players at once; even the ones we’ve jettisoned so far have left us painfully thin, but they were either terrible or a bad influence (in the case of Sanchez, both) so they took priority.

Again, why do people say 3 years when they really mean 6 months?

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Jethro

Quote:
He needs to be able to field 11 players from time to time mate

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:31 PM
utd99

Nobody likes playing shit, nobody likes drawing or losing to teams we traditionally roll over and everybody loves a rant at the final whistle of a poor performance, however most reasonable people -when they’ve calmed down a bit- also realise how huge and difficult this job would be for anyone.

Give the guy some time and ignore the noise. These people were waiting many many years for us to go through this; they’re not going to miss the opportunity now it’s come.

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:38 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Ole didn't sign any of them and they're on big wages so getting them out would be difficult.

Fergie signed Jones - all managers since have had the chance to get rid but, yeah, blame Ole.
Lingard last signed a contract on April 6th 2017. Who was boss then? (Clue: not Ole)
Pereira - looks like Brazil are as stupid as United; he now has a full cap.
Matic - will be gone within seven months.
Shaw - Brandon Williams will either force Shaw to up his game or force him out. Situation resolved. Again, though, why didn't Jose shunt him after Darmian seemed competent enough in the Europa League final?

Unread 06-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Chester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
And eventually they won’t be. You can’t sell 15 players at once; even the ones we’ve jettisoned so far have left us painfully thin, but they were either terrible or a bad influence (in the case of Sanchez, both) so they took priority.

Again, why do people say 3 years when they really mean 6 months?
One of my main issues with him is his persistence in playing Lingard and his belief that he can get something out of him, it's up there with Rodgers and his Balotelli vanity project

I think we can all agreethat over the past year Lingard has done f*** all to warrant being anywhere near a starting place (or even spot on the bench)

yet this was our manager...today...talking about him...

“But against City and Tottenham, those two games were examples of how important he Jesse can be for us in different games, we want him back scoring and making assists.
“No one runs as much as Jesse. He is a great trigger in the pressing and is a lively, bubbly character."

f***ing great stuff that Ole so J-Lingz keeps the bantz going in the dressing room...I don't recall him running or pressing too much against City what I do recall are the two f***ing sitters he missed and the shit pass he made to James when we were breaking again at 2-0 up....

Unread 06-01-2020, 08:05 PM
dunk

Rodgers never wanted Balotelli and refused to play him.

Unread 06-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
I think the point is we would be giving a league 1 standard manager 3+ years.

At least give someone who knows what they are doing the time to rebuild and not take what would be a huge gamble on a nobody (in manager terms) that time to make things right.
This exactly. Why give the rebuilding job to a novice and his assistants who are pretty lame to be honest? We could be wasting our time.
Would prefer a proven winner with his own choice of backroom staff and see how it goes over 3 years.

Unread 06-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Chester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Rodgers never wanted Balotelli and refused to play him.
he played 31 games under Rodgers in the one season he was at Anfield, but yeah he refused to pick him

Unread 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
he played 31 games under Rodgers in the one season he was at Anfield, but yeah he refused to pick him
16 starts, hardly an ever present. You're having a mare.

Unread 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
This exactly. Why give the rebuilding job to a novice and his assistants who are pretty lame to be honest? We could be wasting our time.
Would prefer a proven winner with his own choice of backroom staff and see how it goes over 3 years.
We did that.

Unread 06-01-2020, 09:00 PM
Sparky***

"How's the car coming along, is it fixed yet?"

"Well, sort of."

"How do you mean?"

"well, we gave it to the best mechanic we could and he couldn't fix it so i sacked him."

"ok"

"Then we went to the next best available mechanic and he sort of fixed it but then he gave up halfway because I started quibbling about the quote."

"So what's happening now?"

"We've given the job to a monkey with a spanner"

"how's he doing?"

"Well he's not complained although he has eaten the upholstery and pooed on the windscreen"

"Do you not think you'd better give it to another, qualified mechanic?"

"Pffft. You obviously have no faith in monkeys pal."
Closed Thread