United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-01-2020, 11:54 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Here, here.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the modern football fan has been influenced by social media and all that the digital age has brought with it, in terms of our demand for instant success. It's certainly not helped by the hyperbole of the tabloid press and the over analysis of every single aspect of our club and those that are lucky enough to play for it.

Ole has, I believe, fielded the youngest starting 11 this year out of any Premier League team and is clearly building for the future, which is how it bloody well should be, given our heritage. He may well have his hands tied, by the money men at the club, but on the flip side, I am as sure as can be that he has more of SAF's ear - and those of the other stalwarts behind the scenes, more than any of Fergie's successors ever did.

Ole is United, through and through, and is the apprentice to the master that was Sir Alex. It took the latter, what, four seasons to win his trophy with us, the FA Cup, then another three to win that first, beautiful, oh-so-sweet league title? £#%&! y'all that want him gone now, or next season, or the one after that. He's one of us, in a way that very few managers out there could ever be. Give him the chance that Fergie had, and back him till the bitter end.
If you take away who he is and look purely at his credentials as a manager, nobody on here would be backing him. I 100% guarantee it.

Woodward has played an absolute blinder here, employed someone who would never dream of rocking the boat who has unlimited leeway with the fans. The team can descend into whatever doldrums of mediocre crap they want and apparently that's ok because there's an ex-player in charge and we're all high on nostalgia.

Do me a £#%&!ing favour.

Unread 03-01-2020, 12:16 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
If you take away who he is.....

BarryX

Quote:
If you take away who he is and look purely at his credentials as a manager, nobody on here would be backing him. I 100% guarantee it.

Woodward has played an absolute blinder here, employed someone who would never dream of rocking the boat who has unlimited leeway with the fans. The team can descend into whatever doldrums of mediocre crap they want and apparently that's ok because there's an ex-player in charge and we're all high on nostalgia.

Do me a £#%&!ing favour.
Zidane, Guardiola, Simone, Cruyff...

How many ex-players went on to achieve success, straight after hanging their boots up? These people (irrespective of who they managed and what they represent) lived and breathed football for their whole of their professional lives and, like Ole, had been schooled in the art of management from those who managed them.

Telling me to 'do a £#%&!ing favour', in this instance, is the same as telling Fergie to 'do a £#%&!ing favour', which, quite obviously, no United fan should have the nerve to do.

IMHO, of course x

utd99

Quote:

Do me a £#%&!ing favour.
You’re probably right that he wouldn’t have much support if he weren’t Solskjaer, but it’s not the whole story is it? Can you not at least see what he’s trying to do mate? I don’t £#%&!ing know if he’ll succeed, but no one does until he’s had a bit of time to make his own team. Look at the tools he’s working with; have those players been successful for any one of our managers? When Mourinho got tinned everyone was talking about a 3 or 4 year rebuild before we even knew Ole was the next manager; now it’s potentially a 3 or 4 year rebuild no one wants to know...

Do you not at least have a bit of sympathy for the shit show he walked into? He didn’t buy Pogba ffs

As an aside, Woodward shouldn’t be running the football side of Man Utd, we all know that. He’s out of his depth on the same way that Moyes was, but can we at least stop pretending that he hasn’t supported 3 managers and 1 ongoing with loads of money? It actually ruins the argument against the guy when we make shit up.

Unread 03-01-2020, 12:28 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Zidane, Guardiola, Simone, Cruyff...

How many ex-players went on to achieve success, straight after hanging their boots up? These people (irrespective of who they managed and what they represent) lived and breathed football for their whole of their professional lives and, like Ole, had been schooled in the art of management from those who managed them.

Telling me to 'do a £#%&!ing favour', in this instance, is the same as telling Fergie to 'do a £#%&!ing favour', which, quite obviously, no United fan should have the nerve to do.

IMHO, of course x
You can throw names out there all day, If any of those managers you listed had the record solksjaer has had over the last 12 months they'd have been unceremoniously sacked. Regardless of what their credentials were as players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
You’re probably right that he wouldn’t have much support if he weren’t Solskjaer, but it’s not the whole story is it? Can you not at least see what he’s trying to do mate? I don’t £#%&!ing know if he’ll succeed, but no one does until he’s had a bit of time to make his own team. Look at the tools he’s working with; have those players been successful for any one of our managers? When Mourinho got tinned everyone was talking about a 3 or 4 year rebuild before we even knew Ole was the next manager; now it’s potentially a 3 or 4 year rebuild no one wants to know...

Do you not at least have a bit of sympathy for the shit show he walked into? He didn’t buy Pogba ffs
No i genuinely can't see what he's trying to do beyond some idealistic, sepia-toned, misty-eyed clap trap fan service about filling the squad with young players. I have no idea what we do as a team monday to friday at training. We are absolutely shocking at even the footballing basics. We are on a par with Norwich for conceding from set pieces and we are just as bad at scoring from them. I see absolutely no discernible style of play other than counter attacking and our record at coming back from losing positions to win under him is absolutely alarming.

We get routinely out-fought every time an opposition team decides to get about us, we regularly go away from home and surrender, we look clueless, ponderous and downright badly coached whenever we have to force the issue against even the most limited of teams.

You can judge him on imaginary scenarios that may or may not happen in whatever year you imagine they'll happen in your heads.

I'll judge what happens on a £#%&!ing saturday and sunday afternoon. At the moment it's all shit and not good enough.

Unread 03-01-2020, 12:42 AM
utd99

He’s had to get rid of the players previous managers bought for big sums who had no interest in playing for Man Utd - not his doing

He’s having to deal with the Pogba situation - not his doing

He’s having to pad out the side/squad with players we all know, and he probably knows are not good enough to play here - not totally his fault

He has an incompetent Chairman -not his fault

He has to put youth players on the fast track to the first team a) to plug gaps and hopefully reduce the need for 8 new players in the market b) because the players he inherited are shite - not his fault.

Do you think he prepared the team for the Arsenal game and instructed them to trot about with zero intensity? Managers are overrated. The vast majority of what a player does or doesn’t do is on them. Sometimes there’s no improving them, you just have to replace them. I’m not making excuses, I put that loss on him, partly because I cannot understand why he keeps picking Shaw and Lingard, and didn’t change things early, but we didn’t exactly have Ole on the bench now did we?

It’s a real mess. It would be a mess for anyone. Messes generally take time to clean up.

Unread 03-01-2020, 01:35 AM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Quote:
He’s had to get rid of the players previous managers bought for big sums who had no interest in playing for Man Utd - not his doing

He’s having to pad out the side/squad with players we all know, and he probably knows are not good enough to play here - not totally his fault

He has to put youth players on the fast track to the first team a) to plug gaps and hopefully reduce the need for 8 new players in the market b) because the players he inherited are shite - not his fault.

Do you think he prepared the team for the Arsenal game and instructed them to trot about with zero intensity? Managers are overrated. The vast majority of what a player does or doesn’t do is on them. Sometimes there’s no improving them, you just have to replace them. I’m not making excuses, I put that loss on him, partly because I cannot understand why he keeps picking Shaw and Lingard, and didn’t change things early, but we didn’t exactly have Ole on the bench now did we?

It’s a real mess. It would be a mess for anyone. Messes generally take time to clean up.
This.

Unread 03-01-2020, 08:39 AM
windy waffles

Quote:

You wanted him sacked a few weeks back...

Unread 03-01-2020, 08:44 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
You wanted him sacked a few weeks back...
he’ll be back soon once he’s sorted his semantics out.

Unread 03-01-2020, 08:46 AM
puressence

any decent manager with that spurs team would have won the league the year leicester did it ..

ps would have isco today in that ten role

Unread 03-01-2020, 08:47 AM
windy waffles

Quote:

As an aside, Woodward shouldn’t be running the football side of Man Utd, we all know that. He’s out of his depth on the same way that Moyes was, but can we at least stop pretending that he hasn’t supported 3 managers and 1 ongoing with loads of money? It actually ruins the argument against the guy when we make shit up.
Quote:
Not defending any of them anymore; they’re all shit, all of them - players, management and board.

Sack him and bring in Pochettino, then sack him after two months and bring in Wenger for all I care. Maybe they’ll eventually stumble onto someone who can accidentally put out a team that won’t shame the crest.

I’m no longer risking a coronary for this mob.
Make your mind up.

Unread 03-01-2020, 08:49 AM
puressence

Quote:

Do me a £#%&!ing favour.
who would have backed a scottish manager to arrive at utd and build a dynasty .. i wish the internet was around in 88-89 can you imagine they day of the 5-1 at city ffs sparky you would have imploded ..can you imagine twitter 13 games without a win finishing 11th and 13th can you imagine

Quote:
You can throw names out there all day, If any of those managers you listed had the record solksjaer has had over the last 12 months they'd have been unceremoniously sacked. Regardless of what their credentials were as players.

No i genuinely can't see what he's trying to do beyond some idealistic, sepia-toned, misty-eyed clap trap fan service about filling the squad with young players. I have no idea what we do as a team monday to friday at training. We are absolutely shocking at even the footballing basics. We are on a par with Norwich for conceding from set pieces and we are just as bad at scoring from them. I see absolutely no discernible style of play other than counter attacking and our record at coming back from losing positions to win under him is absolutely alarming.

We get routinely out-fought every time an opposition team decides to get about us, we regularly go away from home and surrender, we look clueless, ponderous and downright badly coached whenever we have to force the issue against even the most limited of teams.

You can judge him on imaginary scenarios that may or may not happen in whatever year you imagine they'll happen in your heads.

I'll judge what happens on a £#%&!ing saturday and sunday afternoon. At the moment it's all shit and not good enough.
how can you not see potential

based on the big 6 for example played city twice lost 1 won 1 , liverpool played twice drew twice , chelsea played 3 times won 3 two away at a ground weve won once in about 15 years , spurs played twice wont twice , arsenal played 4 times won 1 draw 1 lost 2 .. so bar arsenal thats pretty £#%&!ing decent in my eyes .

Unread 03-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
who would have backed a scottish manager to arrive at utd and build a dynasty .. i wish the internet was around in 88-89 can you imagine they day of the 5-1 at city ffs sparky you would have imploded ..can you imagine twitter 13 games without a win finishing 11th and 13th can you imagine

how can you not see potential

based on the big 6 for example played city twice lost 1 won 1 , liverpool played twice drew twice , chelsea played 3 times won 3 two away at a ground weve won once in about 15 years , spurs played twice wont twice , arsenal played 4 times won 1 draw 1 lost 2 .. so bar arsenal thats pretty £#%&!ing decent in my eyes .
I remember being on a United forum about 15 years ago and after every shit result there were folks saying that Fergie was past it and should have retired in 2001, and that he needs to go for the good of the club.

Doom-mongers that it was best to ignore. Same now imo.

Unread 03-01-2020, 09:15 AM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Make your mind up.
Why are you so thick?

Quote:

Postage.

Unread 03-01-2020, 09:17 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Why are you so thick?

Postage.

Unread 03-01-2020, 09:17 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I remember being on a United forum about 15 years ago and after every shit result there were folks saying that Fergie was past it and should have retired in 2001, and that he needs to go for the good of the club.

Doom-mongers that it was best to ignore. Same now imo.
Was probably pure

Unread 03-01-2020, 09:23 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
It’s clear frustration - exasperated at the state of the club - but you want to use it as a point to deflect onto the manager what is clearly a sensible summary about the issues the current manager faces.

Anyway, look forward to seeing a Copy of the letter of apology you were writing to ole following the city win?

Unread 03-01-2020, 10:15 AM
AK14

Quote:
Make your mind up.

Unread 03-01-2020, 10:18 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
It’s clear frustration - exasperated at the state of the club - but you want to use it as a point to deflect onto the manager what is clearly a sensible summary about the issues the current manager faces.

Anyway, look forward to seeing a Copy of the letter of apology you were writing to ole following the city win?
After the recent shite we have seen since then, it's in my shredder.

Unread 03-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Spock

Quote:

Closed Thread