United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
What about country cricket then. You're only allowed a certain number of overseas players. Never heard anyone call that illegal
I'm not aware of that. It would be illegal as far as I'm aware if "overseas" includes European players. You can't prevent EU workers moving internally. Does this just apply to Aussies, Indians etc or would it apply if they found a Frenchman who was good enough?

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
I imagine they'd say something along the lines of "Cardiff, and the other Welsh clubs that aren't affiliated to the FA already had an agreement that they couldn't take an FA allocated European place because they're guests in the competition".
You imagine a lot MrBishi

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Spiffy

This was from November, before today's comments by Blatter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7081235.stm
Fifa president Sepp Blatter's hopes of reducing the number of foreign players competing in European leagues appear unlikely to materialise.

The European Commission is considering imposing a quota on clubs to ensure they employ a minimum number of "home-grown" players.
But provided these players are permitted to work in the European Union, their nationality is irrelevant.
The EC says imposing quotas on EU nationals is "direct discrimination".
Blatter claimed on Tuesday that the EU is to adopt a number of processes to "stop the overwhelming presence of non-national players in club leagues" in its new Reform Treaty.
He added that sport was set to gain the power to police its own members, meaning Fifa would be able to have a say in how many foreign players are allowed at any one club.
But the Commission - the EU's executive branch - rejected Blatter's comments.

A spokesperson told BBC Sport that in the Treaty, which is set to be signed in December, freedom of movement legislation would not be altered and that no exceptions are to be granted to sports federations.
The only restrictions enforceable on clubs, therefore, are those already in place under current Uefa guidelines, which state that in Uefa club competitions every squad must contain six "locally trained players" or have their list of 25 players reduced accordingly.
Next season each club must name eight players who have been locally trained.
The term locally-trained players is made up of three "association-trained players," who are affiliated to the domestic national association and three "club-trained players", who have been registered with their club for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.
"Quotas on EU national players are direct discrimination," said the EC spokesperson. "Whether you are a goalkeeper or a factory worker - as long as you receive a salary - you are a worker.
"Therefore, you have the right to move and work freely within the European Union and this right must be granted also to football players.
"However, the Commission is in constant dialogue with Fifa, Uefa and other relevant sports organisations and recognises that there is an issue about home-grown players.
"The Commission is examining if it could be justified for clubs to hire a certain quota of players whom they have trained from a very young age. "As this concerns the investment of clubs in players irrespective of their nationality, there would be no direct discrimination."

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I'm not aware of that. It would be illegal as far as I'm aware if "overseas" includes European players. You can't prevent EU workers moving internally. Does this just apply to Aussies, Indians etc or would it apply if they found a Frenchman who was good enough?
You're still missing the point.

The question is more about whether Uefa/Fifa can be arsed to get this dragged through the courts if (when) challenged, rather than whether they are quite within their rights to bring it into their competition rules.

The answer appears already to be that they can't be arsed, hence trying to get some sort of round the table agreement by majority consensus.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
You're still missing the point.

The question is more about whether Uefa/Fifa can be arsed to get this dragged through the courts if (when) challenged, rather than whether they are quite within their rights to bring it into their competition rules.

The answer appears already to be that they can't be arsed, hence trying to get some sort of round the table agreement by majority consensus.
See post above. That's my inderstanding of the situation too. Let's see, I don't make the rules.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
See post above. That's my inderstanding of the situation too. Let's see, I don't make the rules.
The proposed format of the restriction has been changed since that discussed in the statements you have posted, though.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
The proposed format of the restriction has been changed since that discussed in the statements you have posted, though.
Well it may happen then. I'd be surprised if it allowed them to count EU nationals as foreigners though. There's an argument to be made I suppose for national teams to stop paying match fees, I would expect that technically they could fall foul of that law that I posted. I'm not sure what the new agreement is.

Well that was fun, same time tomorrow?

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Well it may happen then. I'd be surprised if it allowed them to count EU nationals as foreigners though. There's an argument to be made I suppose for national teams to stop paying match fees, I would expect that technically they could fall foul of that law that I posted. I'm not sure what the new agreement is.

Well that was fun, same time tomorrow?
No, I meant Uefa/Fifa's proposed restriction has changed; they appear to be trying to get round it and keep everyone happy by merely restricting the number of foreigners on the pitch in any one team at any one time. Thus they do not breach employment laws.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
No, I meant Uefa/Fifa's proposed restriction has changed; they appear to be trying to get round it and keep everyone happy by merely restricting the number of foreigners on the pitch in any one team at any one time. Thus they do not breach employment laws.
Oh. My guess would be that it's what constitutes a "foreigner" that will be up for discussion. I'd be surprised if Ronaldo is classed as a foreigner under EU law. They can easily limit non-EU players, it's those pesky Europeans that wil be the problem and it's them that's causing the problems.

I can't wait for Blatter to die to be honest.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Oh. My guess would be that it's what constitutes a "foreigner" that will be up for discussion. I'd be surprised if Ronaldo is classed as a foreigner under EU law. They can easily limit non-EU players, it's those pesky Europeans that wil be the problem and it's them that's causing the problems.

I can't wait for Blatter to die to be honest.
Well yes you're right of course, technically speaking.

Even so, football is still a sporting competition. The players could go on strike, or they could simply quit and go and work somewhere else. They could train all their lives to be professional footballers and still find that they have no club to go to. The EC could do £#%&! all about it.

Unread 17-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Well yes you're right of course, technically speaking.

Even so, football is still a sporting competition. The players could go on strike, or they could simply quit and go and work somewhere else. They could train all their lives to be professional footballers and still find that they have no club to go to. The EC could do £#%&! all about it.
Yep, it happens to most. What would be illegal is if someone was good enough but was the wrong EU nationality. They dont enable anyone in the EU to be guaranteed to play, just guarantee that their nationality isn't the reason they don't. It's one of their fundamental laws. In truth, it could be argued it's in the ineterests of their members to make sport an exemption but that's a whole other debate.
Closed Thread