United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:23 PM
billy_costigan

sorry to be thick but what counrty is blatter from? my mate says he's french but i'm not so sure, anyway clearly the @#%&! hates to see the prem doing well nothing said when the ities were dominating with teams full of south americans.

still wont happen though the premier leage is by far the richest leauge in europe and wont enter any £#%&!ing gentlemans agreement.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_costigan
sorry to be thick but what counrty is blatter from? my mate says he's french but i'm not so sure, anyway clearly the @#%&! hates to see the prem doing well nothing said when the ities were dominating with teams full of south americans.

still wont happen though the premier leage is by far the richest leauge in europe and wont enter any £#%&!ing gentlemans agreement.
He's Swiss.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:26 PM
billy_costigan

cheers mate, now we can add £#%&! fifa presidents to cuckoo clocks and cowards who won't fight in wars to their list of acheavments.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
This quotas idea is not even vaguely illegal as far as I can see. What the £#%&! is illegal about it ffs?

Every competition in professional football is bound by the laws of the game and entry is by invitation only.

On top of that simple point, by the looks of it players would still be free to sign for any club that wanted them.

To me this looks like a fast track to saving professional football in many ways. If a club like Manchester United can't bring through - or buy in - a dozen English footballers of the required quality then they'd want tom be investing the money necessary so that they can.

On the other hand, if the quality did suffer then the TV and day-tripper spectacle would be reduced and Sky might just £#%&! off in the end - or at least drastically reassess the price they are able to pay in line with their tumbling subscriptions fresh from the wages of their band of largely braindead addicted cretins.
Footballers are employees, clubs are employers. In the same way a player cant "play" without a legal "work" permit, the clubs are bound by EU employment law. If 2 people are equally good, you can't use nationality to decide who to employ, it's illegal. This applies to receptionists, plumbers, footballers. everyone. Yes the club can sign them but if they cant play them, they wont. It's discrimination.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by revanoz
You might lower the quality in the short run but the argument is in the long term, our homegrown talent will improve because top clubs will have to invest in youth and give youngsters a chance. How many times on here have people moaned about one of our youth players not getting a fair crack of the whip because we can buy someone in from abroad?

I think the point about La Liga and Serie A is unfair. Yes the Argetinians etc seem to suddenly produce a great Spanish/Italian grandad to get an EU passport but you don't see a huge influx of average foreigners playing like you do here.

I don't care about the chances of the national team but I think some sort of quota can eventually be beneficial to us.
Man with sense.

People moaning about Ciddy winning the youth team cup want to look at the youngsters we bring in.

Jose Van Youtubio de Complilationo Overhead Toe Puntio is always going to get in the squad ahead of Barry Bridges from Burnage.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Footballers are employees, clubs are employers. In the same way a player cant "play" without a legal "work" permit, the clubs are bound by EU employment law. If 2 people are equally good, you can't use nationality to decide who to employ, it's illegal. This applies to receptionists, plumbers, footballers. everyone. Yes the club can sign them but if they cant play them, they wont. It's discrimination.
Cardiff City are a Welsh team playing by invitation in the English league, and this season, in the English FA Cup final. They will not be automatically entered into the Uefa Cup should they win, even though the English league have already been officially allocated an automatic entry to that competition for its Cup winners.

What have the EU had to say about that, then?

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:43 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Barry Bridges from Burnage.
Always had high hopes for him, now he's at Barnsley/Plymouth/Swindon

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Always had high hopes for him, now he's at Barnsley/Plymouth/Swindon
£#%&!ed by the system

Great in the air.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:45 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
English teams certainly but hardly English

French Arse XI

Spanish Dippers FC

Shed Afrika Bambattaa FC
Sporting de Manchestre

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Sporting de Manchestre
Exactumondo.

We're hardly innocent of it ffs. Love it how people didn't mention our Brazilian/Portugese connection...what with Carlos the next boss and rumour of 3 Portugese signings over the summer.

I prefered the Scottish Invasion

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:48 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Heart of Mancunian FC

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Exactumondo.

We're hardly innocent of it ffs. Love it how people didn't mention our Brazilian/Portugese connection...what with Carlos the next boss and rumour of 3 Portugese signings over the summer.

Someone hinted at it:

Quote:
To me this looks like a fast track to saving professional football in many ways. If a club like Manchester United can't bring through - or buy in - a dozen English footballers of the required quality then they'd want to be investing the money necessary so that they can.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Cardiff City are a Welsh team playing by invitation in the English league, and this season, in the English FA Cup final. They will not be automatically entered into the Uefa Cup should they win, even though the English league have already been officially allocated an automatic entry to that competition for its Cup winners.

That would probably come under competition law I'd imagine. It relates to companies, not individuals. The EU likes to think it's sticking up for the little guy, the individual. If they wre asked they may look into the Cardiff situation but they would take it upon themselves to deal with something relating to workers rights, they don't have the resources to challenge companies.

I'm no expert on the EU but I work in recruitment and have a fair understanding on employment law.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Manchester Celtic?

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
That would probably come under competition law I'd imagine. It relates to companies, not individuals. The EU likes to think it's sticking up for the little guy, the individual. If they wre asked they may look into the Cardiff situation but they would take it upon themselves to deal with something relating to workers rights, they don't have the resources to challenge companies.

I'm no expert on the EU but I work in recruitment and have a fair understanding on employment law.
it certainly comes under competition rules, anyway.

you need to remember that there are competitions in many sports that have specific rules of qualification.

The Masters in snooker deliberately restricts entry to just a few qualifiers by merit and an elite selection of invitation only wild cards. yet there are hundreds of professional snooker players, many of whom would have a decent chance at their biggest pay day of the season.

The NFL draft system sees players chosen off a list by franchises. These players can be traded, swapped or whatever. They have little say in it themselves, because it is the rules of the competition.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Ed Sullivan

I wonder who sniffer argues with when there's nobody around.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
I wonder who sniffer argues with when there's nobody around.
It's not my fault people are ignoring the law, I'm merely helping out.

TT, all your points are correct and valid. The US one wouldn't count under EU law but in none of them do they restrict people on the grounds of their nationality, that would be illegal.

Take Boxing, if a division decided there would be whites only allowed to encourage white boxers this would obv be seen as racist, change colour for nationality and there's a law for that too.

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Ether

What about country cricket then. You're only allowed a certain number of overseas players. Never heard anyone call that illegal

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
It's not my fault people are ignoring the law, I'm merely helping out.

TT, all your points are correct and valid. The US one wouldn't count under EU law but in none of them do they restrict people on the grounds of their nationality, that would be illegal.

Take Boxing, if a division decided there would be whites only allowed to encourage white boxers this would obv be seen as racist, change colour for nationality and there's a law for that too.
Fair point, which explains why the door hasn't been closed on Cardiff City being allowed to enter the Uefa Cup.

However, it can be argued that the issue still comes down to the rules of the game rather than any impinging upon freedom of employment

Unread 17-04-2008, 09:24 PM
MrBishi

Quote:

I imagine they'd say something along the lines of "Cardiff, and the other Welsh clubs that aren't affiliated to the FA already had an agreement that they couldn't take an FA allocated European place because they're guests in the competition".
Closed Thread