United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-10-2021, 09:29 AM
My Name is Heath

Can I just reiterate that Lindelof and Matic is a great middle 2.

Would provide a better support base than a load of Sherpas who have been to a Swiss Hotel Course.

Would allow the Front Four to feel more freedom than Andy Dufresne.

OGS should follow this site ffs.

Unread 01-10-2021, 09:36 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Can I just reiterate that Lindelof and Matic is a great middle 2.

Would provide a better support base than a load of Sherpas who have been to a Swiss Hotel Course.

Would allow the Front Four to feel more freedom than Andy Dufresne.

OGS should follow this site ffs.
No. And every football related post you make my respect for you reduces a little more.

As for the other poster above; anyone still intrigued by anything Dalot related other than how long it will be until he £#%&!s off is quite honestly following the wrong sport.

Unread 01-10-2021, 09:40 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
No. And every football related post you make my respect for you reduces a little more.

As for the other poster above; anyone still intrigued by anything Dalot related other than how long it will be until he £#%&!s off is quite honestly following the wrong sport.
I need to take a long, hard look at myself

Will pick up some Savlon this afternoon because that burns

Unread 01-10-2021, 09:50 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
I need to take a long, hard look at myself

Will pick up some Savlon this afternoon because that burns
Tough love had to be applied I’m afraid.

Unread 01-10-2021, 10:52 AM
92ToBury

Don't we need two systems, depending on who we're playing?

Claiming we need two holding midfielders when we've complained about doing that against anyone but the top six for example.

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:03 AM
Dr Stranger

The problem is that they aren’t really holding midfielders. It gets pegged as negative, but it’s simply because we don’t have a single midfielder who doesn’t need someone else next to him to compensate for their weaknesses.

If we had Kante, we wouldn’t play two ‘holding midfielders’.

Playing one doesn’t make us any more attacking. It makes us easier to play against and we see less of the ball as teams just run right through us. There always needs to be two, it’s just a case of which two. The alternative is one and Pogba. Which doesn’t work either.

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:13 AM
atticusgrinch

Credit to Ole for finally going 4-3-3 on Wednesday. Not sure that was the game to do it, and playing McTommers as the holder flanked by Pogba AND Bruno was pretty mental.

It left young Diogo horribly exposed in that first half, as Bruno and Greeny gave him zero assistance.

Right idea Ole. He should have played DvB instead of Pogba, but he seems scared to drop Pogba.

Hope it doesn't discourage him from playing that formation, especially against poor teams. Should be Matic holding, flanked by Beeky as the more defensive and Bruno as the more attacking midfielders imo.

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:20 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Don't we need two systems, depending on who we're playing?
we need an array... a diverse set of elements amongst our weaponry.

what we always need, though, whatever the system... is balance. we have some players who aren't really good enough to play in any system (fred) or who don't fit in a particular system (pogba).

it would be nice if we had more players who were capable of both winning the ball and using it and who had some positional discipline and a willingness to work for the team. then the system wouldn't be so important (but we'll always need systems). it's no good being able to ping 60-yard passes if you can't track a man.

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:24 AM
Dr Stranger

He’s used Matic well as a sub recently.

He made a difference against West Ham and the other night. He’s easily the best on the ball of our midfielders and brings a composure that the others don’t. He has his moments like they all do and he needs legs around him, but he’s playing quite well at the moment and I’d have him in there while that’s the case because he does tend to fizzle out as the season goes on.

Him and The Scottish Player would be my pick for now.

Pogba left or on the bench. I never want to see him in a two. Ever.

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:30 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

He made a difference against West Ham and the other night. He’s easily the best on the ball of our midfielders and brings a composure that the others don’t. He has his moments like they all do and he needs legs around him, but he’s playing quite well at the moment and I’d have him in there while that’s the case because he does tend to fizzle out as the season goes on.

no sensible person would argue with this.

Unread 01-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

He will have to pick and choose when to play him. Against the teams that attack I think we are better suited to counter, city liverpool Tottenham etc etc. Against everyone else he can start.

The sensible thing would be to play him with a view to signing a CM in jan to ease the burden. But since when do we do the sensible thing .

Unread 01-10-2021, 02:04 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we need an array... a diverse set of elements amongst our weaponry.

what we always need, though, whatever the system... is balance. we have some players who aren't really good enough to play in any system (fred) or who don't fit in a particular system (pogba).

it would be nice if we had more players who were capable of both winning the ball and using it and who had some positional discipline and a willingness to work for the team. then the system wouldn't be so important (but we'll always need systems). it's no good being able to ping 60-yard passes if you can't track a man.
yes please a midfield footballer - if only.

Unread 01-10-2021, 03:48 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
He will have to pick and choose when to play him. Against the teams that attack I think we are better suited to counter, city liverpool Tottenham etc etc. Against everyone else he can start.

The sensible thing would be to play him with a view to signing a CM in jan to ease the burden. But since when do we do the sensible thing .
Agreed.

Unread 01-10-2021, 04:00 PM
westcoastvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not sure how engaged he'd be. seems to be phoning it in.

would probably be better at holding the line than shaw, though.
Point taken.

I'd just like to see how he links up with Rashford (or whoever is on the left) & Fernandez after a few weeks.

Unread 01-10-2021, 04:23 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan
Point taken.

I'd just like to see how he links up with Rashford (or whoever is on the left) & Fernandez after a few weeks.
yes he's pretty mobile.

I think he would link up well with martial. can always dial tone.

not sure how much more obvious I can make this, tbh. I feel like am telegraphing it.

Unread 01-10-2021, 07:36 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no sensible person would argue with this.
Don't you want Matic actually starting games though?

Unread 01-10-2021, 09:26 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Don't you want Matic actually starting games though?
did you actually read the post which I responded?

Unread 01-10-2021, 09:38 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

4 4 2

Dave
AWB
Varane
Maguire
Shaw

Greenwood
Bruno
Pogba
Rashford

Cavani
Ronaldo

The treble looms large....

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:08 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
did you actually read the post which I responded?
Probably not tbh.

Unread 01-10-2021, 11:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Probably not tbh.
disarming honesty.

of course I want matic starting games. and, preferably, finishing them. I'd really prefer us to buy some midfielders, though. matic should be able to play for three months, surely?
Closed Thread