Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:25 PM
borsuk

Default 2008-9 manchester united report card

results: A-
hard to argue with what we've won tbh

style: C+
not really set the pulse racing this year for the most part, for whatever reasons

tactics: B+
with one or two (two, actually) glaring exceptions fergie has got it pretty much spot on this year in individual games

attitude: D
this year we seemed to lack a lot of the 'in your face' bite of old. carrick, fletcher and giggs have a lot of qualities, but the ability to physically intimidate opponents is not one of them. this needs to be rectified imo. can we rely on hargreaves to do it?

squad: A+
the big big plus of the year, after the silver, for me has been the way the kids have broken through. without a shadow of a doubt this is the best classs we've had since the giggs generation. fantastic to see fergie giving them opportunities as well.

support: ?
as the last game i saw at ot was before we won our first title of the fergie era i have no idea whatsoever. but i'm interested to know what match-going reds think.

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Ether

Can't really disagree with any of that.

Will have to wait until Koppas logs on to get a definitive assessment of our support though

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:36 PM
otbarney

Perhaps the in your face attitude wasn't there because our players only have to look a someone funny to get a booking these days?

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Coracao

I would say an A+ would indicate it can't be improved. Which it can.

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I would say an A+ would indicate it can't be improved. Which it can.
A*?

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
A*?
No.

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

Style is an A from me; I love the way we keep possession of the ball, the way we move forward as a team, the way we take risks, the way we grind teams down, our change of tempo is often utterly devastating and joyous to behold at the same time; I love the way our individual players showcase their talents, the bravery they have to try things... etc

Aside from dodgier finishing than normal, consistency from 45 minutes to 45 minutes is a main talking point of the season for me. Low marks on both tactics and fitness/conditioning are what have let us down this season - they undid us at regular intervals throughout the season, and ultimately they undid us on the biggest stage of all.

Attended more than a dozen OT games btw, mainly £#%&! and full of the type of clueless marlos who post on here.

That's why we're cahmpions etc etc £#%&! off and die.

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:40 PM
sullers

Just got a text off Koppas, he tells me Support was B+ (for Pompey and Southampton away and West Brom at home).

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Barracuda

Don't think the squad is quite as strong as an A+, there are some weak areas.

Squad size and depth maybe yes, but the midfield concerns me a bit - there's a lot of bodies but it still lacks goals and real power.

The balance of strikers is not quite right either, again it lacks goals and we rely too much on Ronnie.

A few adjustments here and there would prove very beneficial IMO.

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:43 PM
sullers

Can we also rate 'Banter' please?

Unread 30-05-2009, 05:44 PM
red @rmy

Hargreaves - A[SIZE="1"] for Absent

Unread 30-05-2009, 06:07 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Hargreaves - A[SIZE="1"] for Absent
But he's got a note from his mum.

Unread 30-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Whip Hubley

Getting to 18 for me, personally, hasn't felt as brilliant as i thought it would. probably due to the fact i was only 7 when liverpool last won the title, and despite obviously being completely surrounded and aware of the history, last season was more of a personal highlight - a brilliant, brilliant double and moscow was just an unbelievable trip all round.

This season, arsenal and porto away in the champs league aside, i genuinely don't think we've come close to last seasons performances. Blame it on who (berbatov, lack of progression from nani/anderson, the tevez saga) or what (japan must have had an effect, 60 odd games is enough in a season without travelling round the world for that) you want but the dynamisism largely has been missing.

That said - competing in every game possible bar one. wow. The league was pretty thrilling (nb: hair tearing) at times and liverpool were almost a genuine threat. chelsea came back strongly. but even not playing to our best we still won the league by 4 points. Superb. And winning back to back champs league is a ridiculous feat, so to get even close was phenomenal. Rome was superb right up until about 9pm when that goal went in. It wasn't meant to be.

Support wise it's been pretty much same as. Euro aways are always superb - to coin what ste said, "no one travels like united". Newcastle away was a highlight domestically (no travelling southerners ) I've not been to that many home games so can't comment. got the st back for next season though.

Roll on 09/10

Unread 30-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Getting to 18 for me, personally, hasn't felt as brilliant as i thought it would. probably due to the fact i was only 7 when liverpool last won the title, and despite obviously being completely surrounded and aware of the history, last season was more of a personal highlight - a brilliant, brilliant double and moscow was just an unbelievable trip all round.

This season, arsenal and porto away in the champs league aside, i genuinely don't think we've come close to last seasons performances. Blame it on who (berbatov, lack of progression from nani/anderson, the tevez saga) or what (japan must have had an effect, 60 odd games is enough in a season without travelling round the world for that) you want but the dynamisism largely has been missing.

That said - competing in every game possible bar one. wow. The league was pretty thrilling (nb: hair tearing) at times and liverpool were almost a genuine threat. chelsea came back strongly. but even not playing to our best we still won the league by 4 points. Superb. And winning back to back champs league is a ridiculous feat, so to get even close was phenomenal. Rome was superb right up until about 9pm when that goal went in. It wasn't meant to be.

Support wise it's been pretty much same as. Euro aways are always superb - to coin what ste said, "no one travels like united". Newcastle away was a highlight domestically (no travelling southerners ) I've not been to that many home games so can't comment. got the st back for next season though.

Roll on 09/10

Spot on with that comment !

Unread 30-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Fatboy Shrek

VDS - 7.5
O'Shea - 7.5
Rafael - 7.5
Neville - 7
Rio - 7
Evans 7.5
Vidic - 8.5
Evra - 6.5
Ronaldo - 8
Carrick - 7
Scholes - 6.5
Giggs - 8.5
Anderson 6.5
Fletcher - 7.5
Park - 7
Nani -2
Rooney - 7.5
Berba - 6.5
Tevez -6
Kiko - 8

Unread 30-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
VDS - 7.5
O'Shea - 7.5
Rafael - 7.5
Neville - 7
Rio - 7
Evans 7.5
Vidic - 8.5
Evra - 6.5
Ronaldo - 8
Carrick - 7
Scholes - 6.5
Giggs - 8.5
Anderson 6.5
Fletcher - 7.5
Park - 7
Nani -2
Rooney - 7.5
Berba - 6.5
Tevez -6
Kiko - 8
-8.5 for Vidic is a bit harsh

Unread 30-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
-8.5 for Vidic is a bit harsh
You're better than that

Unread 30-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
You're better than that
He's not tbh.

Unread 30-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
He's not tbh.
shyeah riiight

like you're fit to judge

Unread 30-05-2009, 10:09 PM
kandred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA

[SIZE="4"]That said - competing in every game possible bar one. wow. The league was pretty thrilling (nb: hair tearing) at times and liverpool were almost a genuine threat. chelsea came back strongly. but even not playing to our best we still won the league by 4 points. Superb. And winning back to back champs league is a ridiculous feat, so to get even close was phenomenal. Rome was superb right up until about 9pm when that goal went in. It wasn't meant to be.

Roll on 09/10
nail on head
Closed Thread