United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:08 PM
The Watcher

Question Saint-Étienne in the 70's

Any of the older mob here watch them? How good were they?

Had the 1976 European Cup Final earlier and they looked a great side. They £#%&!ing battered Bayern Munich and missed some glorious chances - including one in stoppage time. Revelli, Sarramagna and Bathenay stood out. Just like the previous years game (Leeds ), Bayern were outplayed I felt.

Seems strange that such a good side failed to win the European Cup. Something they have in common with La Quinta del Buitre perhaps?

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:12 PM
The Mull

Le pain throwing bastards

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Grimson

Rocheateau and Platini together for just one or two seasons. They were badly let down by their goalkeeper Curkovic when they went to Anfield.

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:15 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
They were badly let down by their goalkeeper Curkovic when they went to Anfield.
That game's been repeated a few times recently - I don't have the stomach to watch it

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
That game's been repeated a few times recently - I don't have the stomach to watch it
I can still see it..."And Curkovic has missed it!"

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:23 PM
roterteufel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
Le pain throwing bastards
like he said, bread throwing bastards. (there was a bread strike on at the time)

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:30 PM
HarkNowHear

we played our home games in Plymouth them days

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:32 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
we played our home games in Plymouth them days
He knows, you know

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:33 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
He knows, you know

I only wanted a chip butty

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:42 PM
The Mull

The ball n bats only threw stale bread

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:44 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
The ball n bats only threw stale bread

Hungry Mancunians abroad full of continental lager

Unread 27-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Sam the Sanitary Man

Yeh I was there at the Academy about 95

Great band

"Hes on the phone!!"

Unread 27-02-2008, 11:06 PM
MUFC One Love

What channel, ESPN?

Unread 27-02-2008, 11:20 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
What channel, ESPN?
Yea, they've been showing old European Cup finals. Had Ajax vs Inter 1972 last night, which was good. Saachis great Milan side demolishing Steaua Bucharest (1989) was on recently too. Really enjoyed that.

Can't beat old European games in the afternoon

Unread 27-02-2008, 11:41 PM
bcred

I was at the away leg..I'm at work I'll post later.

Unread 28-02-2008, 12:02 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcred
I was at the away leg..I'm at work I'll post later.
That was the Cup Winners Cup in 77/78, right?

ESPN showed the home leg of the game with Porto a few months back. Think we'd lost heavily (4-0?) in the away leg, but almost turned it around at Old Trafford.

Great game.

Unread 28-02-2008, 12:27 AM
mr.sitter

Quote:
ESPN showed the home leg of the game with Porto a few months back. Think we'd lost heavily (4-0?) in the away leg, but almost turned it around at Old Trafford.
was at that game...one of my first european matches....great game...did we win 5-2 ??

Unread 28-02-2008, 04:44 AM
bcred

Default frogs

Saint-Étienne in the 70's ..
tbh the match itself was a blur,we had a brilliant day out partying with the locals.Me and two mates got the train from Paris and we changed at Lyon.
We spent most of the day on the piss,of course we had loads of Gin and Rum from the duty free and the St Etienne fans (a few who travelled from Paris) had the vino ..We got along great,on the piss all day,so well that they invited us to a cafe owned by a relative when we got to St Etienne.We ate jambon...you have to remember euro aways were rare (I did Ajax away the previous season) so ham buttys were about as adventrous as I'd get as a young lad...

It was a lovely day sunny and the usual buzz from watching United in europe it was so rare in those days ...of couse it didn't take long before the shite happened and as usual it was caused by piss poor planning.I remember getting to to ground quite early maybe 6pm ? and there was a youth game on.It seemed that was what they did before the night games ..familys would show up and have a picnic whilst watching the youth as a starter for the big game.I remember the buzz outside when me and the lads finally met up with the Red army as they arrived en mass.

Trouble started there,no segregation so of course (as you do) we went in like one bloody long conga train in and right behind "there" goal the locals as reported, started throwing bread and water at us (they had those little water bottles well before we did) anyway it was more symbolic than anything but it took about 2 minutes for it to kick off.You have to remember this was 77 and our lads were well up for it.Trouble was so were the CRS riot police,in they came and then a scene very similar to the recent Roma fiasco. The @#%&!s were hitting anything that moved in red and white (or a union jack) as we used back then. I'd had enough and climbed over the fence at the front which was about 8 foot high (the days of cages!) Anyway I managed to cut the shit out of my inner forearm and needed stitches! I spent the first half an hour of the match in the St Johns of course even in there if you were a brit you'd sit until the looked after the locals.I think the kick off was delayed and Sammy mac scored in a 1-1 tie?? Anyway as I said the match ...who the £#%&! knows, I spent most of the match trying to hook up with my mates to access the damage ...me four stitches one mate,broken finger the other black eye. Anyway afterwards we were herded back to the train and I spent an uncomfortable night sleeping on the floor of the train.

£#%&!ing madness!

Those were the days my friend,we thought they'd never end..

Unread 28-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Rocheateau and Platini together for just one or two seasons. They were badly let down by their goalkeeper Curkovic when they went to Anfield.
Didn't help that Rocheateau and Platini supposedly hated each other.. Or that may have been later on.. As a result Platini at times would refuse to pass to Rocheateau..

Loved Rocheateau.. always thought Platini was overated..

Unread 28-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Believe it or no there was actually a shortage of bread in the UK at the time time with bakeries working to rule - the French were being ironic until the United fans started lobbing back rubble.

Played the next leg at Plymouth but we all watched it on the "big screen" at Old Trafford.
Closed Thread