United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
explain malacia again.

not sure costa ever played in sweden, but we've done ok with scandinavian keepers before.

karius played in a cl final.

is onana the best keeper available? have a discussion about that without resorting to making it personal, eh?
I think at the price point & the priority ETH puts on ball playing GK I'd say yes.

He's taken a side to the CL final with a record no. of clean sheets. He's not throwing them in & he looked far more mentally at home in that final that Ederson who was shitting bricks comparatively the other end.

Big game temperament.

Now you can obviously argue that Costa might be better but he's €20m+ more expensive & hasn't got anywhere near the BGT to judge against nor does ETH know his character the way he would this lad.

Raya might have PL experience, but beyond that & a £40m price tag (just about the same as this fee when converted) you could argue he's the best option.

Who would you rather have? Recognising the budget is a real issue & we need to get a striker just as bad.

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:27 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
What part of that post was personal ?

Happy to discuss Malacia, but this IS the onana thread ???

I've explained why I think he's the best option currently available with stars, videos and previous 3 seasons form on European football stages, you still argue against that....

So be it ..
the point about malacia is relevant because it speaks to 10h's pool. but you're right, malacia being an inadequate midget is not directly relevant to whether onana is actually any good. to be honest, the search terms was more of a nod to marlo than my own concern. I just want our keeper to be good enough.

I am not arguing against him being a good option (maybe read the thread, because I have said precisely the opposite), but I am questioning his weaknesses and whether the concern about distribution and ball skills has blinded people to the basics of goalkeeping.

bruno has weaknesses, which I am also happy to discuss (even with marlo). I wouldn't swap bruno for anyone, though.

Quote:
Shut up you pathetic little worm...
did lol.

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:27 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If reports are to be believed, Costa was first choice but Porto said Release Clause or GTFO (€70m) United having to be careful with funds have opted for a cheaper but more experienced option in Onana. If it goes to pot, they can buy Costa next season and Onana can be Erik’s Bravo or Karius (he’s better than both of those two though tbf.)
Yeah I said earlier in the thread there’s no way of knowing if this guy will be here long term. But the reality is we a) need a keeper now due to Dave leaving and b) as baron says we also need a striker so the budget for both must be taken into account.

It’s at worst a reasonable signing.

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:28 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I think at the price point & the priority ETH puts on ball playing GK I'd say yes.

He's taken a side to the CL final with a record no. of clean sheets. He's not throwing them in & he looked far more mentally at home in that final that Ederson who was shitting bricks comparatively the other end.

Big game temperament.

Now you can obviously argue that Costa might be better but he's €20m+ more expensive & hasn't got anywhere near the BGT to judge against nor does ETH know his character the way he would this lad.

Raya might have PL experience, but beyond that & a £40m price tag (just about the same as this fee when converted) you could argue he's the best option.

Who would you rather have? Recognising the budget is a real issue & we need to get a striker just as bad.
NOW that is a good starting point for a discussion.

I'd prefer this comedian to that lad at everton

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:29 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If reports are to be believed, Costa was first choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I hate being poor.

also, I hate us not unearthing bargains that no one else knows about.

I'm ok with onana under the circumstances. I think I'd probably prefer costa, though.

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:35 PM
Marry Haguire

Evening reds, here’s a video breaking down why Onana’s our most important signing since RVP a decade ago for those interested. Only 4 minutes long but took me a while to put together so I hope you find it useful, cheers! Absolutely buzzing about this one.

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:40 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry Haguire
Evening reds, here’s a video breaking down why Onana’s our most important signing since RVP a decade ago for those interested. Only 4 minutes long but took me a while to put together so I hope you find it useful, cheers! Absolutely buzzing about this one.

https://youtu.be/xKhp1W_z3O8

Quote:

Great video. I like that you don’t spend 5 minutes introducing yourself and building up to the actual content. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Yhgr.

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:42 PM
Patty_b

Pep picked him out personally for praise?!

Marlo U-turn in 3, 2, 1...

Great thumbnail btw

Unread 17-07-2023, 05:51 PM
jem

Quote:
the comparison to de gea is utterly pointless, given that de gea doesn't play for us any more. it would make more sense to compare him to other top keepers (maybe with a slight leaning towards those actually available instead).

also, I'm imagining you saying cliché with a long last vowel.

we've seen worse, though. I will save my uti uti chup chup guti chant for later.

needs video instead of charts, too. we aren't all measlys.

Unread 17-07-2023, 07:34 PM
marlo

what i will say is…

I hope I’m wrong about him

And also it’s interesting what can be achieved if you just put a Dutchman infront of every decision being made

In the last year we had some of you lot justifying and praising a striker that doesn’t score goals and now the same vibes with a keeper that isn’t even good at his primary job as a goalkeeper.

Unread 17-07-2023, 08:02 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Brilliant video this pal...

Well put together and thumbnail is on point, like how you're not afraid to swear and bring us the stats...

Also buzzing for this one, we finally have a presence between the sticks again... confidence and ability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
what i will say is…

I hope I’m wrong about him

And also it’s interesting what can be achieved if you just put a Dutchman infront of every decision being made

In the last year we had some of you lot justifying and praising a striker that doesn’t score goals and now the same vibes with a keeper that isn’t even good at his primary job as a goalkeeper.
You've really fallen off...

Unread 17-07-2023, 08:10 PM
Harry Flashman

Quote:

DeGea's distribution is dog shit.

Classic.

Unread 17-07-2023, 08:19 PM
marlo

Quote:
Brilliant video this pal...

Well put together and thumbnail is on point, like how you're not afraid to swear and bring us the stats...

Also buzzing for this one, we finally have a presence between the sticks again... confidence and ability...

You've really fallen off...
Out of interest

What team do you think would win if they played today.

The 99 United team or ETH Ajax ecl cup run team

Unread 17-07-2023, 08:22 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Out of interest

What team do you think would win if they played today.

The 99 United team or ETH Ajax ecl cup run team
Score draw...

Unread 17-07-2023, 11:42 PM
Neo

Lightbulb

Have to say, lads like ErikVanhaaksbergen and Marry Haguire are setting new standards when it comes to Fredster sage stakes.

The days of Saffers regurgitating Opta Joe stats, and ThatBoyRonaldo! turbo posting Di Marzio Tweets are distant memories.

Unread 17-07-2023, 11:47 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Have to say, lads like ErikVanhaaksbergen and Marry Haguire are setting new standards when it comes to Fredster sage stakes.

The days of Saffers regurgitating Opta Joe stats, and ThatBoyRonaldo! turbo posting Di Marzio Tweets are distant memories.

Unread 18-07-2023, 10:33 AM
armchair

Unread 18-07-2023, 12:45 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:

Very good video

Now get your subs paid.

Unread 18-07-2023, 01:20 PM
92ToBury

The look was had and it was decreed as good.

Fee agreed. £43.8m + add-ons.

Unread 18-07-2023, 08:49 PM
Bunker Buster

My guy not checked the weather.....