United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2018, 09:54 PM
ScarFace

Most of the teams have nothing left to play for in their leagues either really. Bayern 20 points clear. Real cant finish lower than 4th/higher than 2nd. Roma 4th a point ahead of Inter. Lfc wont finish lower than 4th due to Chelsea.

Unread 11-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Very true. Madrid were in a daze and they could have killed it.

For me it's a soft pen, but hard to ever really feel for Juve. They didn't get what they deserved tonight.

Worried about the Scousers is the headline.
Yes, Real were so close to having a summer clear out, having to rebuild a team that has got old together. They are not the team of 2 years ago, every team has a cycle, Ronaldo, and Messi for Barca, are pretty much single handedly extending their teams window.

Varane and Vallejo(who was atrocious) were there for the taking, Juve after the anger subsides have to be be seeing that as a missed opportunity. 30 mins to go, the away goal advantage of the 4th would have killed Real.

Unread 11-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Tronics

Looking at it again that was 100% a penalty tbh soft as £#%&! but i'm one of the peeps who get annoyed when refs dont give "soft pens" cause they're in the box. If it's foul outside the box it should be the same in the box imo

Juve should have finished Madrid off sooner though, the longer the game went you always felt as if CR7 would end up making the difference etc

That bod of his though, bloody hell the lad is specimen

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Yes, Real were so close to having a summer clear out, having to rebuild a team that has got old together. They are not the team of 2 years ago, every team has a cycle, Ronaldo, and Messi for Barca, are pretty much single handedly extending their teams window.

Varane and Vallejo(who was atrocious) were there for the taking, Juve after the anger subsides have to be be seeing that as a missed opportunity. 30 mins to go, the away goal advantage of the 4th would have killed Real.
I don't think they were that great even then. Clearly declined now, but they wind me up how often they win this tournament during poor seasons. Reminds me a little of Ancelotti's Milan, who often failed in Serie A but then had the world class talent to turn it on in Europe with no distractions.

I suppose another advantage of equipping yourselves with the world's best players is they have the ability to make the CL a season-saver.

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:00 PM
barca99

List of madrid players on a yellow please.

TIA

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:01 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
List of madrid players on a yellow please.

TIA
Don’t all yellows get wiped at this stage?

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:03 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Don’t all yellows get wiped at this stage?
Hope so!

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Billy Redface

I'm hoping it's the bigger sides just warming up.

How often do you see a side like Madrid look underwhelming for the most part, but turn it on the closer they get.

Bayern and Madrid should both beat Liverpool comfortably over two legs.

But so should City.....

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I don't think they were that great even then. Clearly declined now, but they wind me up how often they win this tournament during poor seasons. Reminds me a little of Ancelotti's Milan, who often failed in Serie A but then had the world class talent to turn it on in Europe with no distractions.

I suppose another advantage of equipping yourselves with the world's best players is they have the ability to make the CL a season-saver.
Yes, fair comparison, you know players of this talent can turn it on in high stakes games after sleepwalking through the season. One of the problems with current domestic leagues is that it is very hard to pull a lead back. Real started slowly, perhaps because of fatigue after numerous long seasons in a row. Barca get a 8 point lead and it is basically gone, too much dross to hope for them to make enough mistakes while needing to be close to perfect.

Bale would be an expensive mistake for Utd, let him to go to Chelsea and be a Rooney style ageing problem for them, Modric is getting on, Benzema looking laboured this year, even if they win the competition there could be major changes in the Summer. Barca have the same problems with an ageing midfield group and Suarez dropping a level.

Should lead to a more open CL environment in the short term, Utd need to be sharp in their decisions this summer, the opportunity will be there.

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:19 PM
Pop

Buffon really should have split the refs face open with a headbutt.

And raked his studs across his eyes after he collapsed to the ground.

Big time £#%&!ing noncey looking Charlie.

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:20 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I'm hoping it's the bigger sides just warming up..
fingers crossed.

If they were all flying I'd probably be even more concerned about Liverpools scabby past in this competition.

Second legs are always tough for the team in the lead (Liverpool themselves should have been 2-0 down at HT last night)

They've got a good chance of winning it though tbh ..far better than I thought.

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:28 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Yes, fair comparison, you know players of this talent can turn it on in high stakes games after sleepwalking through the season. One of the problems with current domestic leagues is that it is very hard to pull a lead back. Real started slowly, perhaps because of fatigue after numerous long seasons in a row. Barca get a 8 point lead and it is basically gone, too much dross to hope for them to make enough mistakes while needing to be close to perfect.

Bale would be an expensive mistake for Utd, let him to go to Chelsea and be a Rooney style ageing problem for them, Modric is getting on, Benzema looking laboured this year, even if they win the competition there could be major changes in the Summer. Barca have the same problems with an ageing midfield group and Suarez dropping a level.

Should lead to a more open CL environment in the short term, Utd need to be sharp in their decisions this summer, the opportunity will be there.
Bale on a long-term deal would be incredibly reckless. I can see Madrid becoming so desperate to dispense with him and buy whoever is the glossy new star of the World Cup that they could let him leave on an expensive loan, which might tempt United.

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:32 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Must be losing his marbles.

That’s 6 🤡

Unread 11-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Lok

I think the Messi argument can finally be put to rest.

He's dragged Madrid to 8 semi finals in a row (a record).

He's the only player to score 15+ goals in a champions league campaign, and he's now done it 3 times.

An absolute phenomenon.

Unread 11-04-2018, 11:15 PM
sa7

Anybody who thinks Michael Oliver was brave to give a last minute to Real Madrid in the Bernabeu in front of 80,000 Real fans, just look at his disgusting little cowardly face

Unread 11-04-2018, 11:23 PM
red in cumbria

Have to think that Real are going to make it 3 out of 4, the outrageous amount of luck they are getting

Unread 11-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Neo

Angry

Absolute £#%&!ing @#%&! of a club, Madrid.

Pathetic ‘support’ from their fans tonight, who were no doubt white hankey’d up in preparation for the final whistle, before they get bailed out in injury time AGAIN.

No doubt they’ll go on and win the thing now. Would be interested to know how many times they’ve ended up as champions of Europe whilst trailing behind in La Liga? Bet it’s disproportionately high, especially in recent years. Horrible bastards.

Unread 12-04-2018, 12:29 AM
ZiggyStardust

As if Buffon didn’t embarrass himself enough on the pitch he then compounds it with this nonsense after the match

What the £#%&! does the effort of your team or engineering a historic comeback have to do with whether it’s a penalty or not

Quote:
“It was a tenth of a penalty,” Buffon told Mediaset Premium. “I know the referee saw what he saw, but it was certainly a dubious incident. Not clear-cut. And a dubious incident at the 93rd minute when we had a clear penalty denied in the first leg, you cannot award that at this point.

“The team gave its all, but a human being cannot destroy dreams like that at the end of an extraordinary comeback on a dubious situation.
“Clearly you cannot have a heart in your chest, but a garbage bin. On top of that, if you don’t have the character to walk on a pitch like this in a stadium like this, you can sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, drinking your Sprite and eating crisps.

“You cannot ruin the dreams of a team. I could’ve told the referee anything at that moment, but he had to understand the degree of the disaster he was creating. If you can’t handle the pressure and have the courage to make a decision, then you should just sit in the stands and eat your crisps.”

Unread 12-04-2018, 12:31 AM
Denis Irwell

Suppose it had to be a pen but we’ve been denied worse, several times this season

Buffon had to go too.

Can’t believe I’m supporting that little worm of a schoolboy.

Unread 12-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
As if Buffon didn’t embarrass himself enough on the pitch he then compounds it with this nonsense after the match

What the £#%&! does the effort of your team or engineering a historic comeback have to do with whether it’s a penalty or not
Completely agree with him.

Was a pen though.
Closed Thread