United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Football Fred The Red

Mascot 94-Present.....

Not much more known about the day to day life of the worlds biggest mascot....

How do you get the gig ? How many have held the position?

He keeps himself to himself, don't even think he enters that 100m race the other @#%&!s enter each year, club > country.

I've seen him dance per game when taking family and not drinking, but what else does FTR do....? Heard a rumour a few years back a forumista was once Fred

Before Him I like this one..

One legged hoppy
William "Hoppy" Thorne was a British soldier during the First World War. He was too young to join the army at the start of the war, but nonetheless signed up under a false name. He somehow lost a leg in combat, and was marked as an invalid on his return to Britain. This status meant that few employers would give him any work, but he managed to find work at Old Trafford, sweeping up after home matches and operating the scoreboard at Reserve games.
Hoppy became well-known amongst the players, but what made him famous to the fans were his pre-match entertainments. Before home matches, he would strip off his clothes, down to his running gear, jump over the fence around the playing surface, and hop or run around the pitch, depending on whether he'd attached his false leg or not.
However, Hoppy's tenure as club mascot came to an end towards the end of the 1940s. He failed to receive tickets for the 1948 FA Cup Final in the members' ballot, and as a result, an irreconcilable rift formed between him and the club.

Top red, chubbed for a final in the ballot and seen his arse.....

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Cream

This thread has left me cold.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Ginners

interesting fact. the current fred is not a utd fan.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
That better not be true.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Mr Castro

I rememember him dancing in front of the Wolves fans once and they didn't react well.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
Is this true ?

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Heard a rumour a few years back a forumista was once Fred
Nah, that was just dunk embarrassed.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Jez Quigley

Default I

once dressed as Fred the Red.

1988 I was working at OT in the Membership Office for Barry Moorhouse, who still works at OT in some capacity.

I had previously been Mr Wimpy in Picccadilly Gardens and was amusing everyone by how much abuse I received at kiddies parties etc.

Anyway, one game the Fred the Red fella was running late and I got wheeled out to get in the outfit. It was pretty heavy IIRC.

However............................

The bastard ended up turning up before I could get out and do my stuff so I never made it on to the pitch

Now, I know Moonchester and Moonchester's son could soon become part of my family.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

1988 I was working at OT in the Membership Office for Barry Moorhouse, who still works at OT in some capacity.

I had previously been Mr Wimpy in Picccadilly Gardens and was amusing everyone by how much abuse I received at kiddies parties etc.

Anyway, one game the Fred the Red fella was running late and I got wheeled out to get in the outfit. It was pretty heavy IIRC.

The bastard ended up turning up before I could get out and do my stuff so I never made it on to the pitch

Now, I know Moonchester and Moonchester's son could soon become part of my family.

So close...

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Is this true ?
yes......was a bit gutted when he said. was like finding out santa clause wasnt real.

Unread 21-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Crumps

Dave Fevre's son, Paul was it in the mid to late 90's.

Fair bit older than me but always sniffing around girls my age.

Unread 21-03-2013, 04:08 PM
believe

i remember lee sharpe jumping him in 94 and the whole team piled on. Fred left the pitch without a head but with a very unhappy face

Unread 21-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Scabs

Unread 21-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Aman27deep

The mascot should be a little more well designed.

Unread 21-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
The mascot should be a little more well designed.
Like a bird with an elephant's head and a load of arms?

Unread 21-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Aman27deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Like an bird with an elephant's head and a load of arms?

Unread 21-03-2013, 05:49 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

He does. I know one of his brothers as my Dad has known said brother for years. He is a big red and a top guy. I seen Barry on an documentary on MUTV a couple of years ago, behind Carrington or something because Rio shouts him, so I presume he still works there. Player Liason Officer I believe.

Unread 21-03-2013, 05:50 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Dave Fevre's son, Paul was it in the mid to late 90's.

Fair bit older than me but always sniffing around girls my age.
Interesting name for Ferie.

Off the Facebook page?

Unread 21-03-2013, 05:54 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Interesting name for Ferie.

Off the Facebook page?

Unread 21-03-2013, 06:12 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe