United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Closed Thread

Unread 09-01-2019, 03:27 PM
windy waffles

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8717111.html

Another great article.

Quote:
he Italian-American, New Jersey-raised Gandolfini came to the attention of casting director Susan Fitzgerald when she saw a clip of him playing a mob enforcer in the Quentin Tarantino-scripted True Romance – but Gandolfini did his best to sabotage his Sopranos audition.

In the middle of this audition he says: ‘This is s***. I gotta stop’,” recalled Chase, shortly after the actor’s death from a heart attack in 2013 at the age of 51. “And he left the room, went down the street and disappeared. And so another audition was set up. Then we heard someone in his family had died – when, in fact, no one had died.” Chase now thinks that Gandolfini might have been bipolar. “Finally, he came to my house, in my garage, and auditioned there. He did great – like we knew he would – and after I got to know him, I realised this was standard operating procedure for him.

David Chase reflects on The Sopranos as show turns 20
Gandolfini’s erratic behaviour was legendary – the actor would sometimes go missing for days on end, requiring expensive schedule rejigs. Off camera, he would keep to Tony’s famous dressing gown, desperate to stay in character. This intense identification had a powerful effect. Critics have written of feeling a strange need to be in Tony’s good books. “I got the sense that he was watching me as I wrote,” admitted Australian author and journalist Clive James, who reviewed the show in 2004, “so I tried hard to get it right, while always trying to remind myself, of course, that he wasn’t really a gangster, just an actor.”

Unread 09-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I watch a couple of hours television a week, at most.

I would rather scoop my eyeballs out than sit through the cretinous public participation programmes and I find soaps equally as pointless.

I was lent the complete Sopranos box set by someone who insisted I gave it a go; I watched it...and then watched the whole lot again.

Utterly outstanding.
it's never been beaten yet; it's peerless, and still so watchable 20 years on.

Unread 09-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Cream

The ending was left open. Quite why people are trying to pick the writer's brain is beyond me. HE DOESN'T KNOW. NOT A REAL EVENT.

Mind boggling.

Was just saying last night that it might be time for another rewatch. Amazing imo.

Unread 09-01-2019, 07:48 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
The ending was left open. Quite why people are trying to pick the writer's brain is beyond me. HE DOESN'T KNOW. NOT A REAL EVENT.

Mind boggling.

Was just saying last night that it might be time for another rewatch. Amazing imo.
As the writer he does know tbf. Even if it is open ended he will know what REALLY happened as it's his mind.

Last edited by windy waffles; 09-01-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Unread 09-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Jack Duckworth

going to watch it from the start again on friday night

Unread 10-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
going to watch it from the start again on friday night
Sky Atlantic started showing it again tonight. Ridiculous first episode.

The dream about his penis falling off.

Unread 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Chris Quayd

https://www.today.com/video/-soprano...NMjuyEA8kpkl2o

Good interview with the cast

Unread 11-01-2019, 06:02 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I just ordered it as well.

I am past caring if he lived or died. Im my mind he died when James Gandolfini died.
still makes me cry paid a pilgrimage to the hotel in rome he died at ( true story ) and the hotel has changed names ffs which was very confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Sky Atlantic started showing it again tonight. Ridiculous first episode.

The dream about his penis falling off.
went live on fb 9pm lastnight just for the opening music

Unread 11-01-2019, 10:59 AM
windy waffles

Top reds have the boxset AND on their media server.

Unread 11-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
As the writer he does know tbf. Even if it is open ended he will know what REALLY happened as it's his mind.
You wouldn't be dumbdumb of the year if you didn't flat out contradict somebody who probably knows better.

I'm sorry: that is unless you have a background in creative writing of any capacity whatsofuckingever?
Closed Thread