United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 09-01-2019, 12:56 PM
windy waffles

Default Fantastic interview with David Chase with some interesting admissions about The Sopranos

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/a...interview.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8718741.html

Quote:
Chase: Yes, I think I had that death scene around two years before the endÖ Tony was going to get called to a meeting with Johnny Sack in Manhattan, and he was going to go back through the Lincoln Tunnel for this meeting, and it was going to go black there and you never saw him again as he was heading back, the theory being that something bad happens to him at the meeting. But we didnít do that.

Matt Zoller Seitz [co-author]: You realise, of course, that you just referred to that as a death scene.

Chase: Fuck you guys!

tís important to note that Chase does well to ensure that the ensuing exchange ends up leaving Tonyís fate up in the air.

The Sopranos ended in 2007 with a finale that continues to be meticulously analysed to this day. It depicts a seemingly ordinary restaurant scene between Tony and his family, which ends with the screen cutting to black. Following its broadcast, many assumed this symbolised the showís protagonist getting whacked.

Later, in the book (page 389 for those with a copy), Chase added: "[The point was] that he could have been whacked in the diner. We all could be whacked in a diner. That was the point of the scene."
Also claims the show was orginally planned to be a movie with Robert de Niro playing Tony and Anne Bancroft as his mother.

Also said he didn't like the epsiodes in Italy.

New book out called The Soprano Sessions celebrating 20 years of the show. Ordered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranos-Se...PRANO+SESSIONS

Last edited by windy waffles; 09-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Unread 09-01-2019, 12:59 PM
silv

still think they left open, hopefully do a sequel and we find out

Unread 09-01-2019, 01:09 PM
guerreiro

Didnít Johnny sack die in prison earlier?

Unread 09-01-2019, 01:10 PM
shenwen

Does anyone really care any more?
What difference does it make if he died or lived?
As much as I liked the show, never understood the fuss.

Unread 09-01-2019, 01:20 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
Does anyone really care any more?
What difference does it make if he died or lived?
As much as I liked the show, never understood the fuss.

Unread 09-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles View Post
Giffage.

Unread 09-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Seamus

I just ordered it as well.

I am past caring if he lived or died. Im my mind he died when James Gandolfini died.

Unread 09-01-2019, 02:02 PM
tatty

I watch a couple of hours television a week, at most.

I would rather scoop my eyeballs out than sit through the cretinous public participation programmes and I find soaps equally as pointless.

I was lent the complete Sopranos box set by someone who insisted I gave it a go; I watched it...and then watched the whole lot again.

Utterly outstanding.

Unread 09-01-2019, 02:12 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty View Post
I watch a couple of hours television a week, at most.

I would rather scoop my eyeballs out than sit through the cretinous public participation programmes and I find soaps equally as pointless.

I was lent the complete Sopranos box set by someone who insisted I gave it a go; I watched it...and then watched the whole lot again.

Utterly outstanding.
Literally watched it at least five times through.

Never gets old.

Unread 09-01-2019, 02:48 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro View Post
Didnít Johnny sack die in prison earlier?
Was always a bit disappointed that a war between Tony and Johnny Sack never came to fruition. Not a fan of endings that are neither climactic nor conclusive, in some way, either.

Still, best show ever made bar none, IMO. It's even one of the funniest.