United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
%@#$&!s. You could write a sensationalist article about every club every season, which some people might agree with at the time. I'd expect a half decent journalist to be able to show a little less knee jerk.

I mean ffs..............
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2.../sport.comment
just read some of that, and yep, it could easily have been written by jem. or that ponce on RI whose name escapes me...

fancy signing Evra for more than Damien Duff eh

fancy signing Michael Carrick and winning 3 league titles on the trot

Unread 24-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
I'd have Keane in his prime over any player in the current Utd squad. Ronaldo aside, any Utd player over the last decade tbh.
I'd have keane over ronaldo every day of the week. The most united-y united player ever.

Unread 24-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He will never, ever, *ever* live "shredding his legacy at every turn" down. That is punishment enough, tbh
He should reprint it now to be fair.

Unread 24-10-2012, 07:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Give over. A lot of United fans agreed with that. Some still do.
The point is that they were just as wrong.

Me, I felt oddly optimistic about that coming (2006/07) season - we had played some of our best stuff for ages in the previous 6 months, and Chelski had shown signs of going stale.....

But because they walloped us in that mostly meaningless end of season game, that was all that mattered to many

Unread 24-10-2012, 07:05 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
The point is that they were just as wrong.

Me, I felt oddly optimistic about that coming (2006/07) season - we had played some of our best stuff for ages in the previous 6 months, and Chelski had shown signs of going stale.....

But because they walloped us in that mostly meaningless end of season game, that was all that mattered to many
%@#$&!s.

Unread 24-10-2012, 07:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
%@#$&!s.
Erm, which bit of it?

That we played well in the second half of the 2005/06 season?? That people put far too much importance on being thrashed at Stamford Bridge when we had already basically blown our faint chances at home against (bottom placed) Sunderland? That Chelsea often looked uninspired and laboured in the title run in (not against us, obviously)??

Even at the time I thought Smyth was talking mince

Unread 24-10-2012, 07:59 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Erm, which bit of it?

That we played well in the second half of the 2005/06 season?? That people put far too much importance on being thrashed at Stamford Bridge when we had already basically blown our faint chances at home against (bottom placed) Sunderland? That Chelsea often looked uninspired and laboured in the title run in (not against us, obviously)??

Even at the time I thought Smyth was talking mince
%@#$&!s.

Unread 24-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Ethers

Quote:
%@#$&!s.
Agreed.

Unread 24-10-2012, 08:26 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
Agreed.
%@#$&!s

Unread 24-10-2012, 08:33 PM
carlosartorial

Smyths piece was bang on at the time of writing and to suggest otherwise is rose-tinted, revisionist clap-trap. United were £#%&!ing awful during 2005/06. Ruud sulking, Keane, Lille, Burton, City away, conceding £#%&!ing 4 to Blackburn, Richardson, Smith, Bellion, Miller, Kleberson....oh yes, loads of grounds for optimism there.

Unread 24-10-2012, 08:41 PM
irk

Quote:
Smyths piece was bang on at the time of writing and to suggest otherwise is rose-tinted, revisionist clap-trap. United were £#%&!ing awful during 2005/06. Ruud sulking, Keane, Lille, Burton, City away, conceding £#%&!ing 4 to Blackburn, Richardson, Smith, Bellion, Miller, Kleberson....oh yes, loads of grounds for optimism there.
%@#$&!s

Unread 24-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
%@#$&!s
Agreed.

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:07 PM
borsuk

Quote:
was it £#%&!. if he'd said the squad needed an overhaul then fair enough but the 'shredding his legacy' line was utter %@#$&!s. after so much success and after rebuilding the side so many times to come out with that was idiotic, and that's without mentioning the obvious fact that fergie's achievements pre-2006 could never be 'shredded' by anything he did later.

as for the rest, how £#%&!ing wrong could he be? liverpool rising remorselessly united dropping out of the top four not buying damian duff as a disaster ronaldo turning into a humdrum winger under fergie not to mention the %@#$&!s about ferdinand, cq, carrick etc. you'd be hard-pressed to come up with something further wide of the mark ffs.

and that's not revisionism, that's just not ignoring everything fergie had achieved in more than a decade of winning, rebuilding and winning again with united.

there was no insight in the article. it was a hack taking a punt. chuck out an end of the era piece, sooner or later somebody will get lucky, why not now?

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:19 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
was it £#%&!. if he'd said the squad needed an overhaul then fair enough but the 'shredding his legacy' line was utter %@#$&!s. after so much success and after rebuilding the side so many times to come out with that was idiotic, and that's without mentioning the obvious fact that fergie's achievements pre-2006 could never be 'shredded' by anything he did later.

as for the rest, how £#%&!ing wrong could he be? liverpool rising remorselessly united dropping out of the top four not buying damian duff as a disaster ronaldo turning into a humdrum winger under fergie not to mention the %@#$&!s about ferdinand, cq, carrick etc. you'd be hard-pressed to come up with something further wide of the mark ffs.

and that's not revisionism, that's just not ignoring everything fergie had achieved in more than a decade of winning, rebuilding and winning again with united.

there was no insight in the article. it was a hack taking a punt. chuck out an end of the era piece, sooner or later somebody will get lucky, why not now?
Agreed

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Agreed
%@#$&!s

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:27 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Almost all those events/games you mention were in the earlier part of the season - from February to April we played some great stuff.

Smyth *was* talking utter shite - AS EVENTS PROVED

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Ethers

Oooooh, capitals

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:32 PM
red in cumbria

Well, is that wrong?

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:38 PM
irk

Quote:
Well, is that wrong?
not at the beginning of sentences and for proper nouns, but we're quite relaxed about it on here.

Unread 24-10-2012, 09:41 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
not at the beginning of sentences and for proper nouns, but we're quite relaxed about it on here.
agreed
Closed Thread